Page 1 of 2
Can anybody give me a review/recommendation on to whether or not to get the 72' Tele Deluxe? It seems like an awesome guitar for the money but I want some user input.

Looks like this for the "PiCS oR It DiDn'T HaPpEN" people:
Yeah I was looking at one of those last year but I decided to get a American Deluxe.

But I think that's it's a good guitar but with the HH won't get you the same cleans as other tele's but you can rock out harder
Yeah, I think the wide range HH's are supposed to offer a twangy tone as well as a full out rock one.
I played one a while back it wasn't too bad, but I'd much prefer a standard (SS) tele to one of these, but if you're one for humbuckers it'd be the better option.
Why would you get a telecaster with humbuckers? I think Les Pauls are a bit pricey for what they are, but that is basically what you are getting. (Unless, that is, you are getting a really good deal on it.)
Quote by Red_Hot_Fuzz
Why would you get a telecaster with humbuckers? I think Les Pauls are a bit pricey for what they are, but that is basically what you are getting. (Unless, that is, you are getting a really good deal on it.)

This has an alder body and a maple fretboard. So no, he isn't getting an LP, he's getting an alder singlecut guitar with a maple fretboard and two humbuckers.
do not get one. i have a real custom from the 70's and it's great. The re-issues suck. they are nothing like the guitar they are made to be.
It's mostly a guitar for someone who digs the telecaster body shape and fender neck profile but wants a more aggressive sounding edge, you aren't getting a Gibson type guitar here.
Quote by SenorSmiley
do not get one. i have a real custom from the 70's and it's great. The re-issues suck. they are nothing like the guitar they are made to be.

Yes, shell out over £2000 for a real 70s one, because if you have one of them you can brag about it EVERY post!
Great plan.

Srsly, these aren't as bad as mr Smiley makes out.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Yes, shell out over £2000 for a real 70s one, because if you have one of them you can brag about it EVERY post!
Great plan.

Srsly, these aren't as bad as mr Smiley makes out.

Anybody know what the guitar is lacking in? Whether it be pups or build quality, basically if its something that can be fixed.
The build quality will be fine, as the low end mexican made ones are fine and the high end american made ones are also fine.
It'll be a matter of preference, I think it's a fine guitar as it is, but if you aren't into humbuckers in alder then it isn't really your thing.
ah okay, I might just go with a reglar American telecaster , but thanks
this is my real one with no effects.

it cost 400.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKz8JEpYP2o

the reissue doesn't sound good.

the later original ones don't sound all that great and they got heavy. mine is really light.

the humbuckers are really nice. they sound more like a LP Special (an old one) then a LP. Maybe that has to do with the rest of the construction, etc....

i was excited in the 90's when they were re-issued. played one and didn't like it. played the new one and the pickups don't sound like the old ones and the neck isn't the right shape.
Quote by SenorSmiley

Don't buy a Ford--Porsche makes a far better car.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
Tele's look weird with 2 humbuckers to me, but it's probably good.

If you think that looks odd, check out the '72 Tele Thinline. Semi-hollow body with 2 humbuckers.
No Senor, you aren't giving the guy advice, you're attempting to brag that you have a '73 tele deluxe.
If you were giving him advice you wouldn't be saying "No it's terrible because it isn't an original it's only a reissue the reissues are terrible".

At you argument that "the pickups aren't right" they're changable, I'm betting many owners of original tele deluxes changed the pickups in theirs at some point (but will have regretted it when 70s Fenders are worth as much as the 50s and 60s Fenders), so it's not like there is only one tone achievable due to pickups, and the neck profile will be the same used on other modern Fenders, which wouldn't be a huge amount off the older ones, also the tone from your "godly original" isn't all too great on your video, it could be the fact you're using a Valve amp real quietly, it could be that you got a bad Tele custom, I dunno but don't preach about tone when your's isn't exactly good.
Quote by SenorSmiley
i'm just giving the guy advice having played both.

Constantly saying that the original models or more expensive guitars, both which they can't get or afford, are much better isn't called advice, it's called obvious.

But hey, if you've got nothing better to do than spend your day bragging about your "room full of guitars" to a bunch of kids on an online forum who seem to have general disdain for you then I'm glad I'm not you--"room full of guitars" or not.
No, I never said I had a Telecaster Deluxe, I have a Telecaster Custom.

The new Telecaster Deluxe/Customs are not good copies of the guitars they are replicas of.

I told him why - pickups, neck shape, etc.... I played one and didn't think it sounded good and even made a video of mine so he could see what the real one sounds like.

My original cost me $400.00 - not exactly a king's ransom.

Plus, it should be worth noting that the originals have odd sized pickups - if the reissues do it would be hard to replace them.

If I wanted one now I would probably build it myself or call warmoth and make a parts one.

Tone is subjective, if you don't like mine that's fine. I just use the mic on my laptop to record videos. Again, just giving my opinion
Quote by SenorSmiley
No, I never said I had a Telecaster Deluxe, I have a Telecaster Custom.

The new Telecaster Deluxe/Customs are not good copies of the guitars they are replicas of.

I told him why - pickups, neck shape, etc.... I played one and didn't think it sounded good and even made a video of mine so he could see what the real one sounds like.

My original cost me $400.00 - not exactly a king's ransom.

Plus, it should be worth noting that the originals have odd sized pickups - if the reissues do it would be hard to replace them.

If I wanted one now I would probably build it myself or call warmoth and make a parts one.

Tone is subjective, if you don't like mine that's fine. I just use the mic on my laptop to record videos. Again, just giving my opinion

Yeah, okay, I'll just whip out the classifieds and pick myself up an original '72 Tele for $400.
Keep your eyes open! I just bought a 1965 Mustang for $125.00. It had the original case and everything. Just a replaced neck pickup.

It needs a little work, but once it's fixed It should be ok.

That's why I constantly tell people to save their money and buy used. There are still deals around if you hold out.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 15, 2008,
The reissues won't be an exact replica of the originals, look at the Fender Japane '62 strat, poly finish, not nitro. And 5 way switch, not three way etc etc.
So the pickups, are replacable, and even if they were oddly sized, there's nothing stopping a lil' modification. Hell I've got a guitar with a singlecoil in a humbucker routing. (Screwed in)

Your original may have cost cheap in '89 or whenever you bought it (judging by your age I assume it was around then), but now it's '08 so it'll be fetching over a grand (GBP), the re-issues will be good enough to get the round about tone.

And tone is subjective I agree, but I think your amp is slightly too quiet in your videos to get a full tone from it. Though I can see that a large amp in a family house would be kept to quiet levels, that's why I'm using 15 watts valve for home practice, can get a nice "cranked" tone without it being loud.
Quote by SenorSmiley
Keep your eyes open! I just bought a 1965 Mustang for $125.00. It had the original case and everything. Just a replaced neck pickup.

It needs a little work, but once it's fixed It should be ok.

That's why I constantly tell people to save their money and buy used. There are still deals around if you hold out.

Yeah, okaaaaayyyyyyy, sure.
I did not buy my original in 1989. My amp is what I have in the house right now - well, the Soldano and a Vibrolux. The rest of my equipment is in my studio or practice space.

The new ones do not sound like the originals. To be honest with you, my new rickenbacer sounds more like it then most of the newer teles that i have.

it's ok if you don't like my guitars, playing, etc.... i made the clip for the op so they could hear what an original sounds like.
Quote by TheProducer
Yeah, okaaaaayyyyyyy, sure.

it has no strings on it. it's hanging up on my wall in the video clip. Just because you can't find the deals doesn't mean others can't.
YOu aren't hearing me out here.
I didn't say for fact you got it then, I'm saying around then judging by your age, you'd be 10 in '89 right? I reckon that's the youngest you'll have gotten it (it was your second guitar right?) and I'm not challenging what amps you have either, you're mighty defensive eh?

And I know they don't sound like the originals I didn't say they did. . .

And you didn't show what an original sounds like because it wasn't miced up properly and was at low volume, it doesn't show the tone properly.
not really defensive. I just don't understand what the big deal is. I mean, I post a clip because the guy wants a guitar that I don't think sounds that good.

If you love the reissues and think he should buy one go ahead. it's just my opinion.

i know from the experience of owning one of these that the reissue is not like the original. if he's looking for the tone of the original he'll be disapointed.
So you went out of your way to discourage someone from getting a guitar he wants with no goal?
You haven't suggested an alternative, you haven't given him any REAL reason not to get one other than, YOU don't like them as they aren't a true representation of the original, you aren't helping much, also I wasn't saying you were defensive about that.

I don't love the reisssues, just think that you shouldn't go straight in and say "the original is better therefore this guitar is worth burning".
Obviously the original is better.
where did i say, "the original is worth burning" as you're quoting me now.

I also said if I wanted one I would build it from Warmoth parts.
You didn't, I'm just saying you're saying they aren't worth buying, also I never quoted you, I put them in quotation marks as it was something someone would say, not somethign I said, for someone who was supposedly qualified to get into Berklee you ain't too bright.

And that isn't an alternative, it'd probably cost more than an original
LOL when you put something in quotation marks.

Here's what you said:

that you shouldn't go straight in and say "the original is better therefore this guitar is worth burning".

So, you were trying to quote me - unless you don't understand what quoting someone means.

I know you have some sort of grudge against me. That's fine. I honestly don't have a problem with you or anyone else here.

I did say (and this will be the third time) that if I wanted one of these I would build one from Warmoth parts.

LOL! Chill out man.

If it'll make you feel better I';ll make a video with all my financial aid stuff and bills from berklee or maybe I can find an old student id or have my dad take a pic of my degree!

LOL!

You seem to be obsessed
. . right. . you obviously didn't do the whole time in school, here's a quick english lesson for you, when someone else is saying something, like, in a story, in an account of something, you put this sign: " at the start and the end of the passage they are saying, it is commonly used in quotes, however if I wanted to show what someone who wasn't me was saying, I'd put that on the outsides to show where this person is speaking, now it doesn't always have to be a direct quote, sometimes, fiction is brought into such a think, you following?

And I replied to you remark, a warmoth guitar would probably be more expensive than a '73 original, you following this too?

And yeah, I do have a grudge, remember when you used to frequent this place? You took the piss out of me, my family, my guitars, and all that. It doesn't just pass. Now does it?
BTW I think a 31 year odl is a bit old to say "LOL" I don't say it and I'm 15.
I don't know what the originals go for, as I'm not looking to buy one. I did see a couple in a shop a while back for about 3,000 USD a piece, although I can't imagine anyone would pay that - if they do mine will be for sale very soon...LOL!

I think it would probably cost about 1k to buy the parts from Warmoth. I could be wrong, as I will usually build my own guitars from wood in my shop and not buy parts.

If you hold a grudge you should really get over things. It's no way to live life. I'm honestly sorry if you're really upset.

I took two semesters of English (1 year) at Berklee, that's all you needed for Massachusetts to get a degree back then. The general ed requirements were pretty simple. I think I wrote two papers and one was for Jim Harper - the old hippie who used to write for Broadside. I think he let us do a record review as a final paper.

I have a decent job now. I make enough to have cool guitars and a house
1K wouldn't get you much from warmoth, it'd be abotu $500 for the neck and b ody only! then there's the parts.
And you could probably sell your Deluxe for. . .$2000ish.

And I don't mind holding grudges against people online who have weak arguments
If you were a person I knew and saw often I'd work past it.

Anyway, was great talkin' to you again, I'll be heading off, cya Senor.
I don't have a Deluxe, I have a Custom. For someone who harps on details you don't pay attention.

LOL

LOL

LOL
Unfortunately, some of us do not have limitless money, or live in an area where vintage guitars, let alone vintage guitars at a good price, actually appear at all.

If you are going to give advice, at least offer an economically viable and/or realistic alternative. I'm afraid not all of us have the intuition and razor sharp instincts to hone in on 1960 LP Standards and their ilk being sold for 50c and a pack of Cheetos.

Plus, when exactly did you buy this Mustang? A while ago I'd be guessing? There has been such things as inflation and devaluation of the dollar to take into account since then.

TS, Tele Customs are fine guitars. Try it out, see if you like it.
Actually, I bought the Mustang at a flea market a few weeks back. I took a chance as it had no strings on it.

I go to flea markets early with Mrs Smiley every weekend and I find a lot of cool stuff. I bought a three pickup harmony rocket for 45.00 - took the bigsby off for myself and sold it for 700.00, I bought a Kustom 200 for 50.00 and I bought a Harmony Tenor guitar for 15.00 all in the past few months.

Last year I bought a Harmony Soverign for $35.00 and I bought an old Kramer for $50.00 - but I had to buy an old Norma copy with it.

I also worked at a store while I was in college and I really kept my eyes open as far as where the trunk gypsies got there stuff. Sometimes I go to auctions and estate sales and I always stop at yard sales.

Sometimes you get lucky in stores. I bought my 59 Martin for 1k in a chain store.

You'll notice that a lot of the time I tell people not to buy some new guitar, but I do think there are a lot of deals out there if you're willing to buy used. The older USA Fender guitars can be had for 450 (with issues) - 600 pretty readily.

Plus ebay is good. This morning someone outbid me by 50.00 but got a 1966 Strat that had been painted all black (except for the logo and the date on the neck) for under $3000.00). Had I gotten that I would have refined it. I'm still pretty mad about that one, but you win some you lose some.

I'm looking at something else right now and should hopefully get it soon. If I do, I'll post.

I also build guitars and make them from scratch. Mainly, I do single P-90 models. I make them by hand out of honduran mahogany mostly, finish in nitro, long neck tenon and sell them for a very fair price.

Here is one of my builds. I make the necks, bodys, etc...:

http://gbnguitars.com/gbn-2.gif

If that's something you're interested in seeing I can show you pics offline. I'm not going to spam here.

I don't like to see people throw their money away on a guitar they're going to have to mod and end up selling anyway. I would rather see someone save a little more and buy a decent guitar for a little more $.
i played one in shoreline gold a while back [some limited run they did] and i'm still kicking myself for not giving it a more serious look. i heard that the high e can get caught under one of the pickup screws [which DID happen to me, but wasn't a huge problem] and the neck was fender's classic clear-coated to all hell sort of deal, but it felt sturdy and powerful
Page 1 of 2