Page 1 of 2
I was just watching some things on youtube and came up with a great Idea for a thread (at least I think it's great). The idea is this: One user (Lets go with ME! ) posts a "Betcha Can't Play This" lick. Text tab is required, other tab formats/video is optional. A tempo should be provided. Once someone can play it they post a video of them playing it (audio clip if no video capabilities), and post a new lick for someone else to play. So i'll Start.

Here's the lick. I'm not going to go overboard with anything that would be TRULY hard for someone on here to pick up. Here's some nice Paul Gilbert esque String Skipping.

140BPM

E||--10h-13----10------------------10----13---||--10------------||
B||-------------------------------------------||----------------||
G||---------14----10h-14----14p-10----14----*-||----------------||
D||----------------------12-----------------*-||----------------||
A||-------------------------------------------||----------------||
E||-------------------------------------------||----------------||

Guitar Pro attached.

All 16th notes at 140 beats per minute (3/4 time), Repeat the first section 3 times, then a dotted half note for the 10 at the end. If it takes too long I'll accept slightly slower.

I hope you guys like the idea for the thread. If you have any comments/Suggestions, let me know.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Jun 15, 2008,
really interesting idea, hope it gets a good long life
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
The only downside I see is the likelihood of it dying while it waits for someone to play the lick...Then again, if compliments keep coming at this rate it shouldn't matter too much

Edit: Go for it!

I'll be pretty much unable to compete until July (can't record atm) unless its an emergency (the thread dies and needs to be brought back to life)..
so im not going to be able to do that anytime soon, lol thanks for giveing me something to work on, also do you im doing it in power tab and it sounded a little more interesting in d-standard imo, try it
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by TheShred201
The only downside I see is the likelihood of it dying while it waits for someone to play the lick...Then again, if compliments keep coming at this rate it shouldn't matter too much

Edit: Go for it!

I'll be pretty much unable to compete until July (can't record atm) unless its an emergency (the thread dies and needs to be brought back to life)..

you should change it to have people post theyre own tabs then you can take them and add them to your posts that way people can try to do different ones without waiting, amke a new one in the build kind of like the ultimate setting thread where you have multiple posts reserved you know. just a thought.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
I will. I've recieved a suggestion to take this to the Electric Guitar Forum so it gets more activity. What do you guys think? That forum is more active, but it seems to be more akin to this ones topic, as I've always found that the EG forum should be more gear related. If you guys think I should move it, I will.

Edit: Sorry, wasn't responding to the above post.

^ How many slots should there be? Should it be by the same system that when one gets played the player submits another? Then it would be the same except there would be 3-5 licks to choose from, and there would always be that Number of choices.

Edit: Pertaining to the Dstandard thing: It would sound even cooler if every time you rotated between a whole tone interval. So the first one's root (in E) is on D, then the second's root is on C, then back to D and such.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Jun 15, 2008,
well it is advanced technique for sure but youll get more tabs (probaslly not all advanced) in the EG forum and more views so youll get more response so i would say just make a new one in the EG forum and close this sucker. amazing idea though this will help people advance their technique
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by TheShred201
I will. I've recieved a suggestion to take this to the Electric Guitar Forum so it gets more activity. What do you guys think? That forum is more active, but it seems to be more akin to this ones topic, as I've always found that the EG forum should be more gear related. If you guys think I should move it, I will.

Edit: Sorry, wasn't responding to the above post.

^ How many slots should there be? Should it be by the same system that when one gets played the player submits another? Then it would be the same except there would be 3-5 licks to choose from, and there would always be that Number of choices.

i say take up the half the first page like 10 or so, and i think the submitting another should apply then you put it on the first page that way people dont have to go through all the posts to find a new one, and also by each tab put the poster and anyone who has posted a response of them doing it. thats just one way to do it
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
I like the idea of keeping it all on the first page. First post will be Rules and a champions list to recognize the people that played a lick. Then The next 5-10 will be licks. How many licks do you think I should have? I'd like to get all of the starting licks before I make the thread, and I'd credit the creators. So if you can, Either throw a lick or 2 in here. Otherwise give me a technique and I'll do a lick for it.
Quote by TheShred201
Maybe work out the kinks, such as Ideas for multiple licks and stuff here real quick, then either Get a mod to move it or just make a new thread. I put some ideas and ?'s in my above post.

i posted to it lol i didnt find out you ahd edited it so i had to double post, srry
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by TheShred201
I like the idea of keeping it all on the first page. First post will be Rules and a champions list to recognize the people that played a lick. Then The next 5-10 will be licks. How many licks do you think I should have? I'd like to get all of the starting licks before I make the thread, and I'd credit the creators. So if you can, Either throw a lick or 2 in here. Otherwise give me a technique and I'll do a lick for it.

yah im not good at licks i can write them but i cant paly them i have an old sweep maybe its not too weak ill psot that below though. on the how many per page i say have may 2 or 3 tabs per post maybe four and a champions post is great. also have the creators on a post too that way if someone wanted an old tab they can pm the creator if you take it down for a new one. also make a blank tab that people can use to write their tabs quicker. i would post my sweep but its long ill wait till later, i think its kind of hard

*edit* nvm the sweep when i listend to it it was horrid, it was random 32s that probally sounded better at 8ths lol
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Like I said, if you name a technique for meh (sweeping, tapping, multi-finger tapping, hybrid picking, alt. picking, string skipping, touch style guitar, etc.) I can probably make some. I'll put creator credits too. How many tabs do you think there should be total at any given time though? 3, 5, 6, 8, 10???

Ahh, heck, I'll just leave a few tab slots open for submissions at the start. All left to decide is how many total licks at a time.
Quote by TheShred201
Like I said, if you name a technique for meh (sweeping, tapping, multi-finger tapping, hybrid picking, alt. picking, string skipping, touch style guitar, etc.) I can probably make some. I'll put creator credits too. How many tabs do you think there should be total at any given time though? 3, 5, 6, 8, 10???

well to satrt the thread off you should make one or two for each type of technique just to give every one a wide range to do you know. i would say at max ten jsut to start off if the thread takes off then just make it more thus the saved posts
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Here's lick 2:

Track 1

E||-----------12-------------------15----------------|
B||--------------------------------------------------|
G||--------13----13-------------12----12-------------|
D||-----14----------14-------13----------13-------12-|
A||--------------------------------------------------|
E||--15----------------15-14----------------14-13----|

-----14-------------------13----------------15----|
--------------------------------------------------|
--15----15-------------14----14----------14----14-|
-----------12-------15----------15----13----------|
--------------13-12----------------12-------------|

-----------------12-------------------13----------|
--------------15----15-------------12----12-------|
--13-------14----------14-------15----------15----|
-----12-13----------------13-14----------------14-|

-----------14---------------------||
----------------------------------||
--------13----13------------------||
-----12----------12---------------||
----------------------------------||
--15----------------15------------||

All 16th notes at 120 BPM. Should be ALTERNATE picked.

That ones a bit more of a toughie
Quote by TheShred201
I'll leave 10 slots for licks. I'm just looking through what I have stored for some to put.

that should be enough more than likely. hopefully it does take off casue this will help people get better and show what people can write
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
also if theres a tuning to go with it that should be psoted as well
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
that sweep is really interesting, it sounded a bit "off" but its probally just powertab. but the alt picking will get people used to it and eventually theyll just start sweeping it, at leat thats what happens to me
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724

E||-----------------------------------------------------------||
B||-----------------------------------------------------------||
G||---------------------------4h-21p-4------------------------||
D||---------------------5h-19----------19p-5------------------||
A||---------------7h-17----------------------17p-7------------||
E||---------8h-15----------------------------------15p-8------||
B||--10h-13----------------------------------------------13h--||

----------------||
----------------||
----------------||
----------------||
----------------||
----------------||
--10------------||

3/4 time, 16th note triplets at 120 BPM. Designed for 10 finger tapping (work those thumbs in too). It should be pretty easy to figure out which finger goes where if your going to use all 10. The higher note on each string should be tapped. I don't require 10 fingers to be used for you to Win this one, but I encourage it, as it should cause some of you to look into some new ideas for your playing.
Quote by TheShred201

E||-----------------------------------------------------------||
B||-----------------------------------------------------------||
G||---------------------------4h-21p-4------------------------||
D||---------------------5h-19----------19p-5------------------||
A||---------------7h-17----------------------17p-7------------||
E||---------8h-15----------------------------------15p-8------||
B||--10h-13----------------------------------------------13h--||

----------------||
----------------||
----------------||
----------------||
----------------||
----------------||
--10------------||

3/4 time, 16th note triplets at 120 BPM. Designed for 10 finger tapping (work those thumbs in too). It should be pretty easy to figure out which finger goes where if your going to use all 10. The higher note on each string should be tapped. I don't require 10 fingers to be used for you to Win this one, but I encourage it, as it should cause some of you to look into some new ideas for your playing.

lol that got to be the first one on the new thread when you start it and videos for that will be amazing. ive tried multi finger taping but i cant really get it im going to try now though
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Yes and no. This thread was replaced by one I mad in the electric guitar forum. However, no one really participated in it. I'm considering re-doing the set of licks for it by me to try to get some people to do it though, so if you post your lick here I'll put it in when I get around to it.
We should get this thread back alive. I'm gonna try to record right now. It'll be something fun to do

EDIT: where can I upload a WAV file that will just play in your browser so you don't have to DL it?
Last edited by GuitarKid61791 at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by TheShred201
This thread was used to plan the real thread, which was put in the electric guitar forum. Please head on over that way for the real one.

eh ... cant find the thread in electric guitar forum :p
Page 1 of 2