hey umm i saw the gibsons look alot like the epiphone les pauls i was wondering is the quality of the epiphones worth spending about $500? (the gibsons are way too expensive)
all western guitars look alike, but an ovation would beat a sammick in quality, that they look the same is irrelevant
epiphones are fine. as long as you dont get a $100 one, then youre set. the main difference between gibson and epiphone guitars are the quality, hardware, pickups, ect.
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
yea well iw ant a les paul and i was just wondering if the epiphone would be a good decision. i am willing to spend about $500
yes epi les pauls are a good choice
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
yes, but the inunation is different, the neck quality and shape are different and also everything else is just low in quality on an epiphone. if i were you, i would just save up and buy a guitar that is acually worth what you paid for (the gibson, NOT the epiphone)
gear:
Gibson SG Cherrywood finish
BC Rich Mockingbird 5 piece maple body with Neck-Thru
Hammer Californian Quiltop
some old Stagg bass
Modded GCB-95F crybaby
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fab Flange
Crate 1x12 65 watt 3-channel amp
im gonna give some input to this conversation and i've been saying this for years. Epiphones are great guitars in every way. Good quality and top of the line, until you try a Gibson. Gibson's blow Epiphones away. I bought a Epiphone and used it for 3 years but when i tried my friends Gibson i immediately went out and bought a Gibson SG 3 (~$1700). Get an Epiphone if you want because they're good but don't even try out a Gibson because they put Epiphones to shame. I'd save up for a Gibson if i were you.
I like epiphones...but like mention before...the higher quality ones.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Depends entirely what model you're thinking of getting.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I vote that the quality of all esp and esp ltd guitars are currently blowing all epiphone and most gibsons out of the water. You can not buy any gibson for under 1200 and not expect something that is piece of junk. Not only has gibson's quality gone downhill their prices keep going up. Yes les pauls have amazing sustain, but is it worth all the money and the trouble. Every other guitar company is starting to catch up. Fewer and Fewer bands are playing gibson these days. If gibson would get its head out of its butt, this might be different
Quote by rockon9er
I vote that the quality of all esp and esp ltd guitars are currently blowing all epiphone and most gibsons out of the water. You can not buy any gibson for under 1200 and not expect something that is piece of junk. Not only has gibson's quality gone downhill their prices keep going up. Yes les pauls have amazing sustain, but is it worth all the money and the trouble. Every other guitar company is starting to catch up. Fewer and Fewer bands are playing gibson these days. If gibson would get its head out of its butt, this might be different

qft. i agree with you
Quote by Bushor2011
yes, but the inunation is different, the neck quality and shape are different and also everything else is just low in quality on an epiphone. if i were you, i would just save up and buy a guitar that is acually worth what you paid for (the gibson, NOT the epiphone)

lol gibson is the 1337 king of overpricing their guitar. if anything look into ebay or craigslist.
Ya id say get an epiphone. I have an epiphone Les Paul Custom (which was about $500) and it is really nice.
Epiphones in the $500 range are decent. I bought an Epi Les Paul Classic and changed out the pickups, treats me good. I've heard that the epi's go out of tune easily, especially on the G string like my Mexican strat, but I haven't had that problem. Of course if I had the money I'd buy a Gibson.
Last edited by occub at Jun 15, 2008,
After having an Epi LP Standard for a little over two years now, I say save a little more and get something better, doesn't have to be a Gibson. About $200 more and you're in the range of a used Epi Elitist LP which will easily rival a Gibson, and in my opinion is better than any non-Custom Shop Gibson at the moment.
Quote by kckyle
lol gibson is the 1337 king of overpricing their guitar. if anything look into ebay or craigslist.

WTF does "1337 king" mean?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
check out heritage or gordon smith
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Quote by slayerfrk
i heard that the only difference between epiphone and gibson was the headstock, diff pups, and that ur basically paying for the name(gibson)

well my epi les paul standard is a combination of mahogany and alder, as opposed to all mahogany. the hardware is cheaper. Gibsons are US made. much better resale value. there are lots of differences.
however a great feeling epiphone is a great instrument, especially after a few upgrades.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
WTF does "1337 king" mean?

1337: Leet
Leet: Elite
Elite: best....?

It's a legendary gamer/internet user term for 'bad ass'
Can also be a negative term.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
1337: Leet
Leet: Elite
Elite: best....?

It's a legendary gamer/internet user term for 'bad ass'
Can also be a negative term.

oh ok. haha
why does 1337 mean leet, and why does leet mean elite.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
oh ok. haha
why does 1337 mean leet, and why does leet mean elite.

Tilt your head all the way upside down and look at "1337". It looks like "LEET"! And if you can't figure out how you get "leet" from "elite", something is wrong with you. It's freakin' phonetics.
Quote by thedude97
Tilt your head all the way upside down and look at "1337". It looks like "LEET"! And if you can't figure out how you get "leet" from "elite", something is wrong with you. It's freakin' phonetics.

well, if you mean upside down then, yeah i guess 1337 sort of looks like leet. and sorry, where i come from if you want to say a word, you have to say all of the syllables, not just the last syllable. i guess im just too old for the internet haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
well, if you mean upside down then, yeah i guess 1337 sort of looks like leet. and sorry, where i come from if you want to say a word, you have to say all of the syllables, not just the last syllable. i guess im just too old for the internet haha.

Welcome to Generation Z. We compress all our words. Legit. No offense meant, btw.
haha its cool. it has taken me many years to be able to say "LOL" without feeling stupid. i still rarely do it
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^You mean you actually say it? Or are you just refering to using it in textually. I say this because I know people who use it in vocal conversations and it sounds ridiculous.