So I've been looking at getting into riding this summer but I don't have a bike. I found a shop that has the 07 model Trek 820's on clearance for $200. Is this a good deal?
Trek are a decent brand at their higher end but for $200 you're pushing your luck with how far the bike can be pushed.

For about $400 you can get a Specialized hardrock which will be a great starter mountain bike that can take a beating.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
The 820 is not a very expensive bike anyway.
Well, i don't know how much a new one costs but with a mostly steel frame and low end components its looks fine to go for $200 in a clearance sale.

A good expensive mountain bike will have:
Aluminum frame
Fox/Mazoricci(sp?)/RockShox fork
Hydraulic Disk Brakes (usually Avid)
Shimano/Raceface or another good brand components.

As the 820 lacks all of these, its a low end mountain bike and should be fine for that price...

And i think its a decent starter mountain bike.
My personal Mountain Bike Preference is Specialized. And as the dude above me mentioned, the hard rock is a decent bike. But if you can't afford it, i think the 820 should do for starters.
Then once you get good get a Specialized Enduro or Demo. The most ultimate mountain bikes out there!!
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Jun 15, 2008,
that bike is one that i would avoid like the plague. . .too expensive to be cheap, but too cheap to be anywhere enar decent, if your serious about getting into it pm me? bit of a rider so could help?
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

Just attack 'em with some pliers dude.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
why would you spend $400 on a bike? my dad spent $100 on a Trek 800 18 years ago and im riding it right now. you just have to know how to fix it if it breaks.
gear:
Gibson SG Cherrywood finish
BC Rich Mockingbird 5 piece maple body with Neck-Thru
Hammer Californian Quiltop
some old Stagg bass
Modded GCB-95F crybaby
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fab Flange
Crate 1x12 65 watt 3-channel amp
people can spend around $3000 on a downhill bike, depending on what you do with them people spend over $200 on a break. its all context

Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
Quote by xXx-e-s-p-xXx
people can spend around $3000 on a downhill bike, depending on what you do with them people spend over $200 on a break. its all context

$7000 on a Specialized Demo if you wanna do 30m falls and come out alive!!
Oh! i so wished i had the talent and the money to do that!!
I love Freeride and extreme downhill.!
Quote by Bushor2011
why would you spend $400 on a bike? my dad spent $100 on a Trek 800 18 years ago and im riding it right now. you just have to know how to fix it if it breaks.

yea if you want to be cruising the sidewalks...

really you need to throw 500ish into a bike to get one thats trail worthy
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
i was working in my humble great british pounds. . . . . .so around 7 grand american yes :P

and tbh my bike could survive a 30 foot drop, its just my wrists and ankles would pack in on me at some point afterwards soon :P

i would kill for a demo :'(
a white demo 8, marzocchi 66's

droooolage

basicaly the guitar equivalent would b a mesa cab and the love child of rhoad's v and the frankenstrat :P

lol
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
Quote by xXx-e-s-p-xXx
i was working in my humble great british pounds. . . . . .so around 7 grand american yes :P

and tbh my bike could survive a 30 foot drop, its just my wrists and ankles would pack in on me at some point afterwards soon :P

i would kill for a demo :'(
a white demo 8, marzocchi 66's

droooolage

basicaly the guitar equivalent would b a mesa cab and the love child of rhoad's v and the frankenstrat :P

lol

Demo's are sweet mate!
I'ld love to buy the black Demo 8 frame and then custom build my bike around it.
Though i think most mountain bikes can survive a 30ft drop but its the matter of coming out of it alive which the Demo just increases the chances of!

Right now though the only form of biking i do is ride my BMX around, i've gotta get into the mountain biking scene sometime soon...
Till then enjoy this!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSF8eG0xb0

And for the TS, i doubt he'ld be riding any major trails getting any major air on his bike if he's just starting out. Its also better to start out on a hard tail bike (ones without the rear suspension) cuz they're less forgiving so you'll see what you're doing wrong better and it'll make you a better rider. The rear suspension is mostly for absorbing the shock of a 10ft and larger drops!
Quote by af_the_fragile
$7000 on a Specialized Demo if you wanna do 30m falls and come out alive!!
Oh! i so wished i had the talent and the money to do that!!
I love Freeride and extreme downhill.!

Shame they crack isn't it?
Or have they fixed that now?

Also, 30 m? That's nigh on 100'. Unless you're Josh Bender and riding a Karpiel Armaggedon, you're dead. Did anyone else see that bike on E-bay when he sold it?

Extreme Downhill? Err, que?
Extreme Freeride yes, Downhill is just racing and nowhere near as "Extreme" as Freeride.

Probably why I prefer racing then.

TS; Buy a Hardrock.
Reminds me of days gone by on the old MBUK forum that does.
^aah, go easy mate, i'm just a newbie at mountain biking and freeride. All i know about free ride is though watching New World Disorder 7 and 8 and Roam 1 and 2!. Love em movies!

And i think i did mean 30ft. 30m is really like 100ft, thats only possible if you're crazy like Josh Bender.

And i think they've fixed the Demo's from cracking. Like i should in this one show where Darren Barrecloth showed how the Demo's frame would react under stress of bottoming out a Demo and at something like over 2000lbs of force the frame just got bent instead of cracking.
Quote by af_the_fragile
^aah, go easy mate, i'm just a newbie at mountain biking and freeride. All i know about free ride is though watching New World Disorder 7 and 8 and Roam 1 and 2!. Love em movies!

And i think i did mean 30ft. 30m is really like 100ft, thats only possible if you're crazy like Josh Bender.

And i think they've fixed the Demo's from cracking. Like i should in this one show where Darren Barrecloth showed how the Demo's frame would react under stress of bottoming out a Demo and at something like over 2000lbs of force the frame just got bent instead of cracking.

Sorry...
I forget that everyone started somewhere.

Still given enough abuse everything breaks. Mike Skinners BMW FQ Mini Link having just had its 4th swing arm repair.

Oh Bearclaw, how I wish he'd stayed on the kids bikes.
Flow > 20 flips and twists in a run.
Quote by Oli_88
Sorry...
I forget that everyone started somewhere.

Still given enough abuse everything breaks. Mike Skinners BMW FQ Mini Link having just had its 4th swing arm repair.

Oh Bearclaw, how I wish he'd stayed on the kids bikes.
Flow > 20 flips and twists in a run.

Hey BMX is not just for kids! Though i'ld prefer riding 26" street freeride bikes, BMX are still fun to ride as long as you stay away from the skate parks. Thats where all the kids hang out.
Street rocks too, though i won't say i like the mountains more or less.

And I like Bearclaw. I think he's got some good style in his riding. He's a little up his ass but he's got good style.
Though i like Cam McCaul the most! He's really cool!! (i've even got his signature TSG helmet!)
Quote by af_the_fragile
Hey BMX is not just for kids! Though i'ld prefer riding 26" street freeride bikes, BMX are still fun to ride as long as you stay away from the skate parks. Thats where all the kids hang out.
And I like Bearclaw. I think he's got some good style in his riding. He's a little up his ass but he's got good style.
Though i like Cam McCaul the most! He's really cool!! (i've even got his signature TSG helmet!)

I have a kids bike too.
Compliments my lovely 24" Ritual nicely. Skate parks are quite fun, the regulars (among them Cam Hardy and Jake Daw no less, Youtube) at mine are mostly in their early 20's haha. Prefer street over park though.

Cedric Gracia is probably my favourite style wise, just beating out Timo Pritzl. Though there are a lot of UK trail riders who Ooze style. Luke Cullis and Ollie Wilkins spring to mind.