I was thinking about Rockmonkeys, Bare Knuckles, Seymour Duncans, or maybe Dimarzio Evolutions. These are for an Epi Les Paul, that will eventually be played through a Marshall JCM 800 or similar amp.

With the Neck Pickup, I want something with lots of bass and mid, but a little less treble. Maybe something with an Alnico II magnet in it. The tones I want are similar to Slash's tones on Paradise City, Sweet Child O'Mine, and November Rain. It would be nice to get some Hendrix and SRV blues tones, when played through some kind of Fender. Also, the cleans must be atleast decent. The highest gain I would use would be for Gn'R type stuff.

For the Bridge, I want something with a little more treble, but still adequate mid and bass. Paired with a Phaser and some kind of boost, I want to get as close as possible to Van Halen's tone on Van Halen 1. I also want, with a boost, 80's era Metallica crunch tones (Sanitarium, MoP, For Whom the Bell Tolls). I want something high output, the lowest gain I'll be using would be for stuff like Buckcherry and similar stuff.

So what two pickups? I'm willing to mix brands. I'm still saving for them, but try to keep them affordable. I want the closest I can get to these tones, so just don't tell me to get a SD Jazz and JB and be done with it, I want specific answers. And how much would it cost to get custom wired ones? Would it be worth it if I know, in this detail, what I want? A few more questions too, but please no detail on these, focus on the pickups.

1.Would a Jimmy Page mod make my tone worse, but more versitile?

2.Would a used Classic 30 and a TS808 or a Traynor YCV50 and a TS808 be a better, cheaper JCM 800, that could get me blues to classic metal?

Thank you so much for answering, I know its a lot of text.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

An Alnico II in the neck will get you some lead slash tones, but you need a fender to do srv or hendrix accurately. I suggest some kind of PAF in the bridge as that's what Eddie used I think.

For amps, the traynor should walk all over the C30 for a marshall type sound you're looking for and be very capable of metal with the TS808

I know nothing about the Jimmy page mod you speak of.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Alnico II Pro to be exact.
+1 on the PAF pickup for bridge position.\

EDIT: Jimmy Page wiring
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jp_style
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Jun 15, 2008,
Hmmmm... if you're thinking about Duncans, maybe the Gibson Dirty Fingers is worth a thought? It's an incredibly high output pickup, but maybe worth a look.
To answer your first question, it depends on which Jimmy Page setup you're referring too. There's the single push/pull for phase switching - OR - 4 push pulls for coil split, series/parallel and phase switching. The latter, while versatile will suck your tone a little.
Thanks! What would some possible PAF's be? Still answer the other questions though, but also, how much cheaper would a Traynor be than a JCM, and would it be worth it? Thanks a ton.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

I think the traynor is like 700 new. I'm not sure what a JCM800 would cost.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You can find Traynor YCV50 Blues for around 500 used, and there's a guy on eBay who sells them for around 600 brand new.

I would say, forget about getting Jimi and SRV tones out of it. They both use Strats, and single coils. You're not gonna get something that's like them. Yes, even with a coil split, it's not going to be that Stratty. Trust me.
If it I were you, I'd forget the Jimmy Page wiring scheme, and just go with series/parallel switches for both pickups.
Parallel wiring makes the pickups cleaner (Drops output by 30%), and gives them a brighter tone. This makes them SIMILAR to single coil pickups. However, these are still hum canceling. Big improvement from a coil split, IMO. Coil splits tend to sound thin to my ears, especially for neck pickups.

So as far a good pickups combo, I would honestly WAIT until you got your Traynor, and then decide what you need (pickups are for tweaking your tone; how can you know how you need to tweak it before you even have your "ideal" amp?).
That said, an Alnico II Pro in the neck, and an SH-14 Custom 5 in the bridge would be a good choice, from what I can tell. Both are Seymour Duncan.
Thanks, anything more?
Quote by darkstar2466

I don't know how. If its easy and I'll save a lot, I'll learn. Anyways, I'm not gonna do the Page wiring. Two questions left-
1.What Bridge pup? lots of different answers here
2.Which is better, and better for the money? JCM 800 or Traynor 50 Blue?
Quote by darkstar2466

1 - I stand by my Custom 5 rec. It's a great pickup for blues, classic rock, and hard rock. Definitel handle other styles like metal, too. Balanced pickup with a lot of growl on the top end side of things.

2 - If you can find the JCM 800 used for a good price, and don't mind rolling down your volume control for clean tones, I'd go for that.