How do you EQ your iTunes/Winamp for pristine Metal listening?

Page 1 of 2

I listen to mostly Death metal, and I like me some double bass.

If you post one tell what genre you mostly listen too, please.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by GBcommander
Wow, I fail. I never even knew you could do that.......

The more you know...
View --- > Show Equalizer.
Also there is no "Metal" preset, I made that/stole from a picture I saw on the interbutts.
I just stick it on the Rock preset and be done with it. My ears have simply become accustomed to it that way.

Oddly, things sound best on my MP3 player's Jazz setting.

Also, mostly thrash and classic rock, a sprinkling of electronic ch00ns.
Turn up the bass and treble and scoop the mids... Maybe hell I dont know... I dont use my comp for tunes
If that's how your EQ is set, your music will all come out overcompressed. I realise that's a big part of the sound in black metal or whatever but nonetheless.

I just make small tweaks to correct for whatever speakers I'm using.
Quote by Magero
I have a big huge fancy sound system with it's own EQ so I haven't felt the need to tamper with the media player settings

Well aren't you just a mr.fancy pants.

Well **** you!
I had no idea an equalizer in iTunes existed. But I've just changed it to the Rock setting, and it's doing ****en wonders. Had to tone down the bass a little, and now it's perfect.
Quote by metal7690
I had no idea an equalizer in iTunes existed. But I've just changed it to the Rock setting, and it's doing ****en wonders. Had to tone down the bass a little, and now it's perfect.

I just left it as is, and it is doing wonders for me as well. Put the setting back to "Flat" and then you realize how long your years were mistreated. This is like when I played a Jazz III pick for the first time. I never once thought of going back to regular ****ty picks.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
I just left it as is, and it is doing wonders for me as well. Put the setting back to "Flat" and then you realize how long your years were mistreated. This is like when I played a Jazz III pick for the first time. I never once thought of going back to regular ****ty picks.

Same, both with the picks and the equalizer haha. I sat there for a good ten minutes just going back and forth between flat and Rock and letting my jaw hit the floor in disbelief.
Quote by metal7690
Same, both with the picks and the equalizer haha. I sat there for a good ten minutes just going back and forth between flat and Rock and letting my jaw hit the floor in disbelief.

Haha, I did exactly the same. Such a difference.
My little adaption of the spoken word curve, with some adjustments to low end.

Don't be derivative. Explore...
If you want a good example of how my EQ sounds, set it like mine and listen to the song PissChrist by The Unborn lol.

Speaks=die!

inb4deathcore
I'm switching back and forth between the Jazz and Classical settings, atm.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
...by listening to it off a cd on a real sound system...

Lawl. Always offering the superior alternative methods, I see.

But you are of course correct. Nothing quite compares to a sound system properly eq'ed for metal. I have a nice system in the basement, and a surround sound system of 6 speakers and a subwoofer in the living room. But the downstairs system doesn't handle the heavy parts so much (it's also an older system), while as in the living room I get a nice hearty sound that nothing can compare to.
I've found Jesus
Well I'm only 14 so I don't such a great system :P.
Quote by Contraband

But you are of course correct. Nothing quite compares to a sound system properly eq'ed for metal. I have a nice system in the basement, and a surround sound system of 6 speakers and a subwoofer in the living room. But the downstairs system doesn't handle the heavy parts so much (it's also an older system), while as in the living room I get a nice hearty sound that nothing can compare to.

CD's are inferior to vinyls
Quote by destroy_techno
CD's are inferior to vinyls

Or so I hear. I can't actually judge for myself though as I've never heard anything on vinyl. Nonetheless, full-size speakers have a drastic increase in bass potential, so they're infinitely better than normal computer speakers (all of which sound brutal without a subwoofer, and at that point, the treble isn't crisp at louder volumes).
I've found Jesus
If you want that vintage annoying crackle sound you want vinyls.

Lol.
Quote by Laeth MacLaurie

It's been proven that an mp3 ripped at any higher than 256kb/s will sound indistinguishible from a CD. 99% of my mp3s are around 500kb/s. Through a proper 5.1 sound system. Any questions?
Quote by Magero
It's been proven that an mp3 ripped at any higher than 256kb/s will sound indistinguishible from a CD. 99% of my mp3s are around 500kb/s. Through a proper 5.1 sound system. Any questions?

It's been demonstrated that most people can't distinguish between cd audio and an mp3 at relatively low volumes on computer speakers. Lot's of people can, in fact, make the distinction under those conditions anyway, but at high volume with good speakers, the difference becomes very noticeable to virtually anyone. Lossy audio formats and computer speakers will never match the performance of a cd played over a high end stand alone sound system.
Quote by Contraband

Do yourself a favor and ditch the sub. You can't possibly turn it low enough to get a decent balance for anything except bass heavy pop and hip hop.
Quote by Laeth MacLaurie

Which you can obviously travel with.
Seeing as most CDs will be mixed with a default EQ in mind, changing it isn't necessarily how you were supposed to hear it.

I'm lazy.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
It's been demonstrated that most people can't distinguish between cd audio and an mp3 at relatively low volumes on computer speakers. Lot's of people can, in fact, make the distinction under those conditions anyway, but at high volume with good speakers, the difference becomes very noticeable to virtually anyone. Lossy audio formats and computer speakers will never match the performance of a cd played over a high end stand alone sound system.

I love that you assume this is a standard computer sound system.
Quote by webbtje
Which you can obviously travel with.

At that point, bring your iPod - why even bother with iTunes or WinAmp when you're on the road?
Quote by Magero
I love that you assume this is a standard computer sound system.

I've seen the 5.1 stuff for computers - you're not going to get the same performance that you would from a stand-alone sound system. At least not the ones I've run across (which use much smaller speakers than you would have with a real, cabinet style system).
Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
At that point, bring your iPod - why even bother with iTunes or WinAmp when you're on the road?

Mmm, yummy irony...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Page 1 of 2