Sauce: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7455391.stm

So supposedly we might not be able to buy booze anymore from shops anymore until we're 21. Your take on it? Could it possibly spread to the rest of the UK if implemented here first?

I think it's an unwise and lazy move, and that if there really is such a problem with Scotland's binge drinking culture, more radical steps need to be taken (especially since most effects of binge drinking (fights, hospitalisation) occur after a night out on the town).
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Same as the smoking age now being 18; just another stupid move.
They daren't ban it so they'll fumble around pretending to look like they care.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
our drinking age in the states is at 21.....personally i think it should be at 18
my hovercraft is full of eels
Typical. I just turned 18 4 minutes ago, and now the UK drinking age looks like it's gonna go up to 21. I'd better get drunk while I can.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
People are going to drink at any age they want regardless of the law.

There were some of the highest crime rates ever in the USA during prohibition.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
People will still be drinking underage here...

frankly, I think it'll just piss everyone off, at which point they will....

...yup, you guessed it. Turn to booze.
**** that. Im moving away from Scotland if this passes.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
In most provinces in Canada it's 19. In Alberta (where I live) it's 18.

19 is the most reasonable age because it prevents people that are still in high school from buying liquor and getting drunk on school nights.

Personally I'm happy with the age being 18 though.
Quote by SuperiorToYou
In most provinces in Canada it's 19. In Alberta (where I live) it's 18.

19 is the most reasonable age because it prevents people that are still in high school from buying liquor and getting drunk on school nights.

Personally I'm happy with the age being 18 though.

In Quebec it's 18 as well.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by irnbrurules
B*******. This Labour government will be out by the end of next year anyway.

I don't think this is a reserved matter. The current administration dealing with this is SNP.
Quote by Reject_666_6
In Quebec it's 18 as well.

But every minors drink before 18.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
I don't really see how it would help, if anything it would increase drunken behaviour on nights out. Wouldn't directly affect me anyway.

Out of all the countries in Europe we work the most hours and are amongst the most (self rated) 'depressed' nations. Perhaps if you tackled this depressing work culture, you wouldn't have this 'live for the weekend' and get fucked attitude, created, in part perhaps, to escape the humdrum shittiness of many peoples day to day lives.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by QuebecMetal
But every minors drink before 18.

Guilty as charged. Before I was 18 I would have no problems drinking. I'm tall, bearded and long-haired with glasses. Everybody assumes that I'm some kind of university professor or something and they never used to check me.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Badreligionrock
Sauce: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7455391.stm

So supposedly we might not be able to buy booze anymore from shops anymore until we're 21. Your take on it? Could it possibly spread to the rest of the UK if implemented here first?

I think it's an unwise and lazy move, and that if there really is such a problem with Scotland's binge drinking culture, more radical steps need to be taken (especially since most effects of binge drinking (fights, hospitalisation) occur after a night out on the town).
Many people get fucked in their houses on cheap stuff they bought in shops before they head out. If they can't do that they'll be forced to drink less because in pubs the same amount of cash doesn't stretch as far as it does in the offy.

That's probably the thinking anyway. I don't like it because it fucks student drinking habits in the ass. Even though I'm 22 I don't think this is a good idea.
I don't really see how it would help, if anything it would increase drunken behaviour on nights out. Wouldn't directly affect me anyway.

Out of all the countries in Europe we work the most hours and are amongst the most (self rated) 'depressed' nations. Perhaps if you tackled this depressing work culture, you wouldn't have this 'live for the weekend' and get fucked attitude, created, in part perhaps, to escape the humdrum shittiness of many peoples day to day lives.

That's actually an incredibly interesting take on it.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.

Yes.
I'm only a year away from being 21 anyway. Just glad I didn't move to Glasgow like I was supposed to last year.
GHJ
Tennants Supers sales reach an alltime low. Johnny "Three teeth" Birrell, dedicated Supers buyer, says his friends and associates are deeply saddened.
Quote by Badreligionrock

Scotlands always been the testing ground for the Goverments **** idea's. Smokin' ban was their last idea. It hit us first!

Before that, well ive been drinkin and i cant remember off the top of my head.

I also agree its a ****ing stupid idea. They think raising the age on **** thats hazardous to us is the way forward. Wont be long before the driving age is 30, smoking at 21, drinking at 40. Such a bull**** govement, our economy is going to ****in **** aswel. UK's a ****ing state.
Quote by Preid
Scotlands always been the testing ground for the Goverments **** idea's. Smokin' ban was their last idea. It hit us first!

I also agree its a ****ing stupid idea. They think raising the age on **** thats hazardous to us is the way forward. Wont be long before the driving age is 30, smoking at 21, drinking at 40. Such a bull**** govement, our economy is going to ****in **** aswel. UK's a ****ing state.

Have a pint of water and go to bed

Quote by Pinky19
Quote by Preid
UK's a ****ing state.

51st one if I remember rightly. Bu-dum...No?
Quote by Preid

This is coming from an SNP led administration in Holyrood. Highly unlikely that Westminster put them up to it.
Quote by freedoms_stain
This is coming from an SNP led administration in Holyrood. Highly unlikely that Westminster put them up to it.

They're still b*st*rds and we're still ****ed.

Quote by Badreligionrock
Have a pint of water and go to bed

Last time i took that advice i pissed the bed. Also, i woke up the next morning still feeling rough as sandpaper
Last edited by Preid at Jun 15, 2008,