I've been having a problem with my Epi LP Custom for a little while now. The problem is this: when I tune, I typically tune by fretting the fifth fret of the string below and tuning the string above to match (until I get to the B string when I used the 4th fret on the G string). The problem occurs when I reach the D, B, and G strings. I'll tune the D and G string accordingly so that the 5th fret of the D string matches the open G string, and continue so the 4th fret of the G string matches the open B string. However, if I fret the open D string and the 3rd fret of the B string, they aren't in tune with each other. Typically the D string is noticeably sharp. I figured this must be an intonation problem, but the intonation of the strings sounds ok to me (I don't have an electric guitar tuner, although I'm going to go out and buy one either today or tomorrow, tuning by ear has proven more trouble than it's worth :P).

[Edit] For the record, to be sure I've tuned using harmonics, and typically the same problem occurs.

Any ideas? Thanks.
if you're going to buy a tuner anyway, then ga and do that, and then repost with any problems.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It might just be in the way the guitar is designed - intonation will never be EXACTLY perfect on every fret on every string (for me it's most noticeable on the G string) - which has led to new developments like this http://www.truetemperament.com/

But yeah, try it with an electronic tuner and see how it goes, if it's still a problem you might want to check with a local guitar tech and see if he can find the issue.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.