It seems that I can crank out lead riffs and solos on command in any key and/or mode that you give me, but when it comes to writing rhythm guitar parts (especially metal), I'm completely stuck. they always sound either A)horrible or; B)unoriginal. Is there anything I should know other than basic techniques (palm muting, galloping, etc.)that I should know when writing rhythm guitar? This can include complex techniques, chord structures, etc., that is common in metal and metalcore from like BTBAM, COB, BFMV, A7x and anything along those lines. Also some good chords for sweeping would be great too.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jun 15, 2008,
even tho Cob isn't metal core..just take a video of your self jamming and take the best points of the improve and build on it
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Well to be honest, go onto Youtube and listen to some guy jamming metal rythym...they all suck. There are so few good metal rythym players its ridiculous. Metal riffs have been so overused by now that sounding like Metallica, Pantera, Megadeath, Sepultura, etc is pretty much what everyone goes for, its very hard to avoid. If you want to be original, you have to venture into new territories.
But something that will make you instanstly sound new is a new bunch of chords. Melodic or really dark, evil chords. I never know the names of them but listen to bands like As I Lay Dying, Deftones, Korn and weird stuff like that and see how weird chords can make a stupid thrash song sound so much better!
I'm not going to equate myself with the bands you listed, mainly because I'm good ( ), but I have some metal uploaded in my profile and can explain what I play if you would like me to. It's more along the lines of NWBHM rather than hardcore (God I hope so), but give it a listen.
please remove cob from the list of metalcore, your putting my favorite band with a load of bands i hate...

and galloping, palm muting and powerchords is all i know how to do in metal rhythm

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616

and galloping, palm muting and powerchords is all i know how to do in metal rhythm

That's because that's what metal rhythm is made of

~Taydr~
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
^and irregular time signatures, and cool riffs, and faux-phrygian progressions, and tritones and so much more
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm not going to equate myself with the bands you listed, mainly because I'm good ( ), but I have some metal uploaded in my profile and can explain what I play if you would like me to. It's more along the lines of NWBHM rather than hardcore (God I hope so), but give it a listen.
I swear you get cockier each day.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jun 16, 2008,