So I'm pretty much convinced that China will be coming up in the next few decades. Everything from their growing economy [yeh i know 6% growth isnt sustainable forever, but still], to their growing higher education system and embracing of capitalism. However, one of the biggest things that amazes me about China is their response to the Sichuan earthquake. Certainly puts the US response to Hurricane Katrina and the recent floods to shame.

My question is, how to you think India would respond? I'm noticing how often India is being paired with China as the next big economic power. However, what is not said is how millions live in poverty. Even thought their GPA is 12th, their per capita is under 1000 USD and over a third of the population is illiterate [can be sourced is need be]. This all has me thinking, how do you India would respond to a disaster on the level of a tsunami, earthquake or something similar.

tl;dr - why do you guys think india is up there? I'm just curious and am willing to be convinced
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
How diod China handle the earthquake?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by floppypick
How diod China handle the earthquake?

With a whole lot of propaganda.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
there were foreign reporters in China during and after the earthquake with NPR and other news sources. pay attention
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by rickyy

How come the United States isn't fixed then?

^I don't watch much t.v. and our newspaper is ****ty ever since we moved.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by rickyy

Well fuck you would too if you knew your national and governmental image would go through the roof because your uneducated citizens don't know any better. (Not saying China is uneducated in general, just that a large number are because they live in rural areas.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
India's is up there because of all the outsourcing.

I don't want to go into great detail because I don't know enough about outsourcing. Just that it's leading to more east Indian's having high paying jobs (in comparison to what they have now), which in turn stimulates the economy.

Ideally, the better the economy, the better the quality of life.
Quote by SuperiorToYou
India's is up there because of all the outsourcing.

I don't want to go into great detail because I don't know enough about outsourcing. Just that it's leading to more east Indian's having high paying jobs (in comparison to what they have now), which in turn stimulates the economy.

Ideally, the better the economy, the better the quality of life.

Yea but the thing is, those highly-skilled Indian workers are NOT stimulating the Indian economy because I believe the figure is something like 60% or higher of Indian workers with H1-B visas (skilled work visa) never return home to live in India and instead end up staying in the United States.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
superiortoyou,

yeah, thats what I hear, but at the same time, over 300 million cannot even read, and they still have enormous clean water issues.
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING