I have EMG HZs in my ESP and i want to upgrade to hotter pickups to get more gain out of my amp. What are some pickups that are hotter than EMG HZs
uh...active EMG's?
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
What kind of amp do you have? If it's a crap amp a pickup swap won't do anything for you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hotter pickups won't give you more gain.
That's not how it works.

Your amp doesn't have a lot of gain - and that's the bottom line.

Then whats the point of having high output pickups?
get a metal muff!!!!!!!!!!!! blows the idea of getting a new amp or pickups out of the water!
Well, this dude asked for suggestions of hotter pickups, he didn't ask "Will hotter pickups give me more gain?!"

I think the duncan invader is hotter than the emg passives, I have an emg hz in my bridge, and it's really not this super crazy pure metal pickup.

I'm pretty sure the hottest passive pickup you can get is the duncan full shred. Not 100% sure about that though. That said, you should probably worry more about getting an awesome tone rather than getting hotter pickups. Laneys are pretty good amps, and you can get a nasty metal tone out of them, if you know how to dial in a good tone.
But, ****. If your into super high gain hot pickups tone, and that works for you, go for it.

Duncan full shred, check it out.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
^^ I know off the top of my head the full shred isn't the hottest passive pickup SD has because in its description it describes it as "Less aggressive than an SH-6 Distortion. More articulate than an SH-5 Custom."

And as a LC15 owner myself, I can say with certainty that depending on the type of metal you want to do, it might not be the best amp for you.
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 15, 2008,
if you want more gain, get an amp with more gain. it doesn't make sense to have a loud guitar going into an amp thats not distorted enough for you.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by DeathMask
I'm pretty sure the hottest passive pickup you can get is the duncan full shred. Not 100% sure about that though.

No.

DiMarzio X2N is much hotter.

I really don't like ultra-high output pickups though, they sound like crap imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1. Overly hot pickups sound like ass.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
passive EMG's give all the output u'll probably need, but if u really need hotter ones, u might as well get active EMG's, blackouts, or passive duncans. it wont make much of a difference though, and u'll be wasting two hundred bucks. so get a mesa boogie amp, that should solve ur problems
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well ill agree with pretty much everyone.. need a new amp, hot pickups dont make a big difference, they can sound bad, all those pickups are probally hotter and to add something no one else has said.. Get yourself and afterburner, its cheap easy and accomplishs what you want.. Will it work probally not but hell its an option for you to try....
DiMarzio X2N and D-Activator-X? And maybe a Bareknuckle Warpig.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by MatrixClaw

Agreed. Maybe you should look into a more high gain amp. Sell your laney. If not, get a better distortion pedal or an od to push your amp. If it is still a problem, then you really need a new amp. Getting new pickiups will only really tweak your tone.