Page 1 of 2
Got to try a Bogner Uberschall & EVH 5150 III side by side for 2 hours yesterday (along with a Fuchs Audio ODS 50). What a f#@king blast that was.
First, I had high hopes for the Fuchs, as I'd heard one live before & it sounded great. I was let down on this one, as the one one I heard must have had other effects in line. It got decent mid-gain tones, but just meh. Not worth even a fraction of the $3000 US price tag.
Next was the Uberschall. When they say this thing is a beast, they're not playing around. The tight low end kicks you in the gut like a cannonball (& that was with the volume on a bit less than 3). The music store guys came running into the sound room waving their arms like the f#@king building was on fire when I REALLY cranked it! The Uber really is a great all-around metal amp, great touch-sensitivity at any volume. It gets mad br00talz that really must be heard in person to appreciate. Very dynamic amp also. Many of you know that one of my amps is a Soldano SLO 100, so when I tell you this amp is br00tal, you can take my word for it!! Not quite as articulate as the SLO, but plenty good enough. If I could do it over again, I probably would've got the Uber, because it sounds a lot better to me at lower volumes than the SLO.
Lastly was the very pleasant surprise of the day. I switched to the EVH 5150 III, & was absolutely stunned at the voicing of this amp. Sorry, but even though I played this amp for almost an hour, I never checked out the clean & crunch channels (not on the Uberschall either), because I only use the OD channel when I play any amp.The volume knob rolls off to clean enough for me. The EVH is VH tone in a box, although it really doesn't get the old brown sound like my Mojave does, but is close enough that I'm buying one in a few weeks! Woo hoo!
Even my best friend Eric loved the sound of the EVH, & he's very, VERY tone critical (no it's NOT that Eric [Johnson!]), despite the fact that it takes him a half hour to tune his guitar! The 5150 III has such a full, warm, live sound to it. Lively, dynamic tone to beat most others, lively being the keyword.The sound just jumps at you. When comparing amps at this level, it's like comparing exotic sports cars. They're all great, but all different. I love the tone of the 5150 III so much, that I would sell the SLO to get one, but luckily I'm getting an accident settlement check in several weeks, so I don't have to. For $1999 US, this amp is a steal, IMO. But I love the VH tone (& they did their homework on this amp, friends) so I'm somewhat biased.

All I can say at this point is I hope all of you can try these amps sometime, just to feel the insane levels of gain, sweet tone, & pure power.

BTW-The Fuchs was a 1X12 combo, the Uber used a Bogner 4X12 cab, & the 5150 III used an EVH 4X12.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jun 16, 2008,
Great info!

I'd like to point out that when I tried a Fuchs ODS 50 1x12 Combo a few months ago, I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. And I hardly cranked it. It's not meant to be a brootalz amp. It's more blues oriented with more kick.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Good to hear brother, the EvH 5150 III is by far the most versatile tone I've heard in a while.
Where were you playing them at(if I remember correctly you live in the same area as me)?

Good read, thanks for sharing it with us
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
Where were you playing them at(if I remember correctly you live in the same area as me)?

Good read, thanks for sharing it with us

Yeah, I live right by you in San Jose. I went to Gelb Music on El Camino Real in Redwood City. They have a bunch of Oranges, Mesas, Dr. Z, 65, & Divided by 13 too!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

That makes me want a EVH III now...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
aye.. i tried an 5150III a couple times. absolutely insane amp. i cry everytime i see the price tag on it tho. lol
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I only got to play with the 5153 for 10 minutes or so, so that was a bummer.

But from what I remember, that amp was totally awesome! I loved it, but it seemed a bit over priced, in my opinion.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^That's the price of br00talz plus fender cleans.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
IT'S EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT PEOPLE

Seriously this amp is comparable to high end Bogner's and Splawns. You have to hear it in real life, the clips on youtube don't do justice!
The clips on youtube really don't do it justice at all.

Great amp.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by babyboo666
IT'S EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT PEOPLE

Seriously this amp is comparable to high end Bogner's and Splawns. You have to hear it in real life, the clips on youtube don't do justice!

+1
Every time i walk in to guitar center i play that amp.
if only i could afford one...
I'd like to compare this to a Nitro though.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
+1
Every time i walk in to guitar center i play that amp.
if only i could afford one...
I'd like to compare this to a Nitro though.

very cool read Randy, I've been hearing good things about that amp from friends. Normally I would be gassing to try one, but I'm gassed out at the moment. When the bug hits again, as I'm sure it will, that will be on the list.

The uberschall is another I've almost pulled the trigger on a few times. So you really feel it was a tight amp? That's been the only thing scaring me off picking one up.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the 5150 III is the best amp i have ever played (and i have played alot) but i have always wanted to try and uberschall.
Quote by Erock503
very cool read Randy, I've been hearing good things about that amp from friends. Normally I would be gassing to try one, but I'm gassed out at the moment. When the bug hits again, as I'm sure it will, that will be on the list.

The Uberschall is another I've almost pulled the trigger on a few times. So you really feel it was a tight amp? That's been the only thing scaring me off picking one up.

The Uber's not as tight & articulate as a Soldano, but that tightness/dryness is wearing on me a bit these days. The Uberschall was a refreshing road test, because nothing else I've ever played sounds like an Uberschall. It really was very impressive, & IMO, tight as necessary, but still had " air" in the sound. You know what I mean! I was ready to put down a deposit on one til I tried the 5150 III. Seriously...if I hadn't tried the EVH amp, I would've bought an Uberschall. It's different enough from a Soldano to justify the acquisition, & relatively (I said RELATIVELY) inexpensive enough ($2695 US) to justify the cost. I've played numerous amps that cost much more, & pale in comparison. The Uberschall really is a special amp, but I just LOVE the voicing of the 5150 III. I fell in love with the EVH amp, & knew I would buy one within 30 seconds of playing it. It's just that good! My buddy Eric & I just turned & looked at each other & read each other's minds. It was incredible. I could live without an Uberschall considering the gear I already have, but I don't think I can live without a 5150 III!!! So sad, huh?
God, I love nice amps!

Edit: Eric, I played Master of Puppets on the Uber (at uber-volume, I might add-talk about ultra-sonic pest control!), & you know how tight that is. It sounded EXACTLY like Metallica. That, my friend, is TIGHT.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Would you say an overdrive pedal used to boost the Uber could improve it's tightness quite a bit, or is it one of those amps such as the Splawn quickrod and is as tight as it's every gonna get straight out of the box?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I totally agree about the 5150 III. I didn't really think much of it the first time I played it but damn when I played it for the second time, that thing really blew me away.

I've been tryin to find someone stupid enough to trade me one for my Mark IV, but no luck

I mean, I love my Mark IV... but man 5150 III owns.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yup most people think it's another Peavey 5150 rip-off (not bashing the 5150), until they play it and their face is --->
I was also amazed at how good the Uberschall sounds like Metallica without the need for $10000+ on gear. I haven't regretted buying it for one second, although I can hardly play it like I want to as I live in an apartment with a lot of people around me, so I'm forced to go to my parents place to play
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by MESAexplorer
Would you say an overdrive pedal used to boost the Uber could improve it's tightness quite a bit, or is it one of those amps such as the Splawn quickrod and is as tight as it's every gonna get straight out of the box?

No, many people I heard who have an Uberschall say that an OD pedal does not work well with it. I haven't tried it myself, but for me the Uberschall is tight enough, even at maxed gain. You can tighten it up with less gain and more pre-amp volume though.
If you want to sound hifi, get a Diezel
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by babyboo666
Yup most people think it's another Peavey 5150 rip-off (not bashing the 5150), until they play it and their face is --->

Yeah, lots of people just think it's another 5150, but it is a completely different amp.
I could probably use that amp the rest of my life (or until some GAS kicked in).
It can do any kind of metal easily (amazingly some people think it can't).
You can get a very nice crunch out of it for rock/blues.
The clean channel is also very well done.
Fender actually pulled it off, Their signature cleans and a superb high gain channel.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Ventor
No, many people I heard who have an Uberschall say that an OD pedal does not work well with it. I haven't tried it myself, but for me the Uberschall is tight enough, even at maxed gain. You can tighten it up with less gain and more pre-amp volume though.
If you want to sound hifi, get a Diezel

I think I'd have to agree about the OD on the Uber. I did not try an OD with it, but my experience with these types of amps in general is that an OD will just make the amp less articulate & lose clarity, which is what makes these amps so special-the fact that they remain articulate even at extreme gain settings. OD's make my SLO sound worse, so I'd think the Uberschall will probably be similar. On my non-master volume Mojave, on the other hand, the OCD brings remarkable added liveliness & dynamics to an amp that's already extremely lively & dynamic. Just save the OD's for lower gain amps, although it can never hurt to try any gear combo-you may stumble across something special.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Wow.... I haven't wanted a new amp for a long time, but now....

Thanks for making me want to go out and blow 2 grand, jerk
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I just wish Fender, I guess with Eddie's blessing, could take the 5150III and make a 50 watt combo out of it and sell it in the sub $800 range. I would sell all of my amps and maybe even a guitar to get that if it was available.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I just wish Fender, I guess with Eddie's blessing, could take the 5150III and make a 50 watt combo out of it and sell it in the sub $800 range. I would sell all of my amps and maybe even a guitar to get that if it was available.

I was thinking the same thing. Why not just make a 50W small head or combo version with ONLY the OD channel? They would sell the sh!t out of those things all day long. They couldn't make them fast enough! That's certainly what I'd do if I ran the zoo.

thefrigginbob:
Oh, hey. You should be nice to fellow beagle owners!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog

Next was the Uberschall. When they say this thing is a beast, they're not playing around. 1. The tight low end 2. kicks you in the gut like a cannonball (& that was with the volume on a bit less than 3). The music store guys came running into the sound room waving their arms like the f#@king building was on fire when I REALLY cranked it! 3. The Uber really is a great all-around metal amp, great touch-sensitivity at any volume. It gets mad br00talz that really must be heard in person to appreciate. Very dynamic amp also. Many of you know that one of my amps is a 4. Soldano SLO 100, so when I tell you this amp is br00tal, you can take my word for it!! Not quite as articulate as the SLO, but plenty good enough. If I could do it over again, I probably would've got the Uber, because it sounds a lot better to me at lower volumes than the SLO.

1. People always say its loose, but I try to tell them otherwise.
2. I can agree there. It's very nice and punchy.
3. Yup yup.
4. Just wanted to throw my thoughts out on Soldano vs. Uberschall, as I've gotten nice experience with them both. The soldano IS more articulate as you said. Personally, I found that to make it GREAT for lead playing. The SLO and Decatone are definitely some of my favorite amps for a lead tone that I've used. The bogner is a bit more saturated and seems to have a bit more gain. The idea that it has a flubby low end I've found to be a large misconception. When I played one, it had a tight, punchy low end, and is one of my favorite amps for bröötälz rhythms that I've played. Both of them are wonderful amps, I just prefer the Uber for rhythm and the Soldanos for Leads.

Glad you had a fun time riffhog.

I've not got to play a Fuchs or EVH head, so I can't comment there.
excellent! great read too.

I haven't tried any of those...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, i've only ever been in one shop which stocked bogners, they had the ecstacy and shiva (which i tried, of course ), but no uber in stock that day.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i've only ever been in one shop which stocked bogners, they had the ecstacy and shiva (which i tried, of course ), but no uber in stock that day.

Hey, Dave! I was going to try the Ecstasy that was sitting on top of the Uberschall, but when I went back into that room after trying the Fuchs, the Ecstasy was gone. The guy playing on it when I first went in there bought it on the spot, along with a Dr Z 2X12 cab. Timing is everything . Oh, well. Hopefully they'll have another one when I go back in a few weeks! You really do need to try any of those if you can.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

haha, yeah, that's some bad luck, I can understand it though as the ecstacy i tried was great (can't quite remember the model number, there are a bunch of slightly different ones i think, it was the one with the "plexi" mode on channel 2, i think)- but like most US-made stuff over here, ridiculously marked-up from what they go for in the USA. I think it was £2500/$5000 or something daft (for the head alone). aren't they between $2000 and $3000 over there?

the Shiva was nice too, but a little more one-dimensional (that's doing it a dis-service, but you know what i mean)... pretty much a hot-rod marshall type thing, i was playing it with a super strat (tyler... or maybe suhr... i tried so much that day as i was on holiday so had to try everything i wanted right then...)... was cranking out some panama and sounded pretty good. but it very much seemed aimed at classic rock and 80s rock, to my ears anyway. and the cleans weren't as nice as the ecstacy... it did have its own voice though, whereas the ecstacy was more the amp you buy if you need one amp to cover everything.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha, yeah, that's some bad luck, I can understand it though as the ecstacy i tried was great (can't quite remember the model number, there are a bunch of slightly different ones i think, it was the one with the "plexi" mode on channel 2, i think)- but like most US-made stuff over here, ridiculously marked-up from what they go for in the USA. I think it was £2500/$5000 or something daft (for the head alone). aren't they between $2000 and $3000 over there?

the Shiva was nice too, but a little more one-dimensional (that's doing it a dis-service, but you know what i mean)... pretty much a hot-rod marshall type thing, i was playing it with a super strat (tyler... or maybe suhr... i tried so much that day as i was on holiday so had to try everything i wanted right then...)... was cranking out some panama and sounded pretty good. but it very much seemed aimed at classic rock and 80s rock, to my ears anyway. and the cleans weren't as nice as the ecstacy... it did have its own voice though, whereas the ecstacy was more the amp you buy if you need one amp to cover everything.

I'm pretty sure the XTC with the plexi channel is about $4500+ new in the US. I tried one out once. By far the best blues tone I've heard from an amp but the distortion channel felt a lot like a recto without an overdrive. Very loose and hard to play.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Shame On You Riffhog!

How dare you not play the crunch channel of the 5150 III?

I remember when I played that amp and I could not stop playing the crunch channel. It sounded like a ballsy, cranked Plexi. Come to think of it. It sounded like (yes you guessed it!)
Van Halen!

Really, the crunch channel is more or less VH in a box (I have not layed a Mojave though). But yes I agree, the 5150 III is fantastic!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm pretty sure the XTC with the plexi channel is about $4500+ new in the US. I tried one out once. By far the best blues tone I've heard from an amp but the distortion channel felt a lot like a recto without an overdrive. Very loose and hard to play.

yeah, i think you aren't too far off. i think i was thinking of the uberschall. they're still appreciably more expensive this side of the atlantic, but they don't seem to be such a rip-off as e.g. mesa.

http://www.wildwestguitars.com/bognerhome.htm

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/amplification.asp?BrandName=Bogner&guitars=8
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gabel
Shame On You Riffhog!

How dare you not play the crunch channel of the 5150 III?

I remember when I played that amp and I could not stop playing the crunch channel. It sounded like a ballsy, cranked Plexi. Come to think of it. It sounded like (yes you guessed it!)
Van Halen!

Really, the crunch channel is more or less VH in a box (I have not layed a Mojave though). But yes I agree, the 5150 III is fantastic!

Maybe I should follow my own advice & listen to you! I was so happy with the OD channel, I didn't want to change anything. On my Soldano, the crunch channel just sounds like you cut the balls off the OD channel & put the speaker face-down in a full bathtub, so I rarely use it for anything. That's why I didn't try it on the 5150 III. I just assumed it would be similar. I also didn't try the clean channel because I knew it would have Fender cleans, & I used to own several old Fenders, so I know all about that.
On the bright side, I AM going to get one in several weeks, so I'll have something even better to look forward to! BTW- gotta get the ivory/white colored one. Eric Johnson says black tolex sucks tone.
Thanks, Gabe!

Edit:
Dave: I didn't see the price tag on the Ecstasy before it left, but I know there's a bunch of different ones. The most basic Ecstasy's start at around $3400 US & go up quickly from there to over $4000 US.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
gotta get the ivory/white colored one. Eric Johnson says black tolex sucks tone.

Hay! What you got against the black one!
TEH WHITE PWNZ

it am facts.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by babyboo666
Hay! What you got against the black one!

Nothing! Just yanking a few chains. Color doesn't really matter. My Mojave's black, my SLO is purple. I figured just get something different than what I have. I saw the pics of your rig on another thread, & it looks great!
I just hope I don't have to buy that huge cab too...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Page 1 of 2