alrite so i have a Vox AD30VT that is just collecting dust and has a blown speaker. but it still works through the line out. i had an idea cross my mind to use the effects in it through my new tube amps. My idea would be to somehow take the effects processor part and housing it into something more compact, but work like a multi-FX pedal. the idea is simple, but the process i don't know. this would save me buckoos on FX, as the FX on my Vox are very tweakable and pleasant sounding. I think it'd be cool.

what i don't want is a mini preamp+FX going into my tube amps, just the FX alone. anyway, if it's possible that is awesome!!

i'm ready to get down an dirty so just let me know what i need to do if possible!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
yeah somebody tell him
i wanna see how this works out.
Also how do you like your blackheart?
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
dude...the blackheart is a SICK amp. straight up rock n roll, crunchy goodness lol. pretty much a mini marshall/vox fusion. it's beautiful.

on topic, i pretty much just want to turn my vox into an FX processor....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
yeah sorry about that.
i'd help if i could but ......
yeah
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
the fx is the same as the preamp, right?

if so, then i think i have a way.

the cd input is an input that bypasses the preamp, and heads to the power amp. so if you take of all the knobs, and pull the circuitry out, follow the path from the guitar input to the cd input.

that is what you want. so somehow separate that from the rest and there you go. all you need to do is wire that to an output.

i think that should work, i dunno.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
i dont think there is a 'cd input' on this amp. there's just a regular input, line out and footswitch jack. those are all the cable inserts.

i could easily just use it as an FX processor...but that would definitely color the tone of my amp....and i don't want that. i just want the effects...

hmm looks like i've got at least one brain working at the moment, hopefully someone who is more certain will enlighten me further!! thanx for the advice so far!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
if the FX are the same as the preamp, then i'm assuming there's no way to bypass the amp models and just have the FX....bummer if that's how it is...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I think I'm on to something here...

Couldn't you just plug the Vox's input into your FX loop's 'send', and the line out to the 'return' jack in the FX loop?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems to make sense to me...

the blackheart doesn't have an fx loop...

my randall does yea....but not the blackheart....and that's what i want to use it more on. i like that ur thinking lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
You could strip the electronics out of your vox, put it in a box and go from guitar to VOX in to VOX out to Blackheart in. Just rip out all your electronics, no need for a speaker cabinet or junk from the vox. Rip it all out, put it in a project box or something get the inputs straight and your good to go!
ESP Shreder, i see exactly what you're saying. and that's kinda what i plan to do if i can make it work the way i want it to. but see if i did that, i'd still be stuck w/ the amp models and therefor tone suckage. i don't need amp models as i already like the tone of my blackheart perfectly. even leaving it on a clean model would be interfering with the true tone of it. i want a way to bypass the models and just have the effects. unless there is some way to set it up w/o removing the amp simulator part so that it somehow doesn't act as a preamp.

i dont want a preamp + FX, i just want FX. as long as it still has the preamp part it is still coloring my tone. see?

thanks for the suggestion though, i plan on keeping like it is, but sawing off all the housing under the chassis. then cutting a piece of wood to cover that. that way it still has that lil nifty handle and is kinda like a 'head' lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
^ It might work. Or, you could isolate the effects part of the circuitry, and connect to that. Looking at the schematic http://www.westebbe.com/Vox/AD15_30Servicemanual.pdf, the easiest would probably be to connect your guitar to the standard input, and take the signal coming off pin 7 of IC2B, and run that into your amp. Unplug CN3, which goes to the power section.

There's a lot going on there, good luck!
Oh, sorry. There's no way to isolate the amp models from the effects. They use the same chip
^to losenger

how would i isolate the FX part? or is that what you described in your post? if you could circle some stuff on the diagram so that i could see what needs to be disconnected/desoldered/soldered and then post it, that would help a LOT.

if i can isolate the FX so that there's NO coloration coming from the amp simulator then that's GREAT!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh dang.....well this blows then. if there were some way to not have any coloration from the amp simulator part, hopes would be up right about now. otherwise i might as well just replace the speaker. damn. well i can't blame vox for trying to keep it simple as possible, it is just a standard modeling practice amp after all. a damn fine one at that.

hmm...maybe someone will save the day lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Can't you just turn the amp modeling off? All it's doing is processing the signal to sound like it's running through another amp. With it off, you should have only the other effects affecting the signal.

If that sounds cool to you, connect the output to IC2B (upper right-hand corner of first schematic page, where it says "MASTER") like I suggested.

Edit: Sorry, should have looked at it more closely. You might be able to remove it by removing the amp type pot completely from the circuit.
Last edited by Losenger at Jun 15, 2008,
as simple as that? so if i take out the amp type pot and then do what? like obviously there's gonna be some wire going to the pot and another coming from. so if i take out that it'll just act as if there's no amp simulation? somethin tells me that's too simple and easy....and nothing ever works like that for ME.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
MAYBE. It depends on how they're using the P60/AN0, which is an analog input, looks like. You may have to connect AN0 to ground. It totally depends on how IC4 is programmed.