Are lessons really essintial? Because some say they aren't and some say they are...just I'd like an opinion here. Thanks.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Are English lessons really essential? Depends on how bothered you are about your spelling. Same goes for music.
certainly not...many famous guitarists were self taught. Slash is one good example
slash was taught at the start of his playing for bout a year or just a little less.... So i guess it basically taught him the essential stuff needed to know and then he started playing on his own.
not at all, but to say they don't/can't help is extremely ignorant

and

Quote by branflakes439
certainly not...many famous guitarists were self taught. Slash is one good example

Slash is the best you could come up with? lol
Satriani is a great example.
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
However, these self-taught famous guitarists spent night and day playing guitar. Slash dropped out of high school as a junior and played guitar 11+ hours a day.

Unless you want to be like that, I'd say take lessons. Being taught by a professional really helps when you get caught in a rut. Plus, rather than just getting better technically, you'll get better musically as well, making things that you write much better. Go for lessons.
If you can take lessons, take them - with a good teacher, they'll help tremendously. The columns and lessons on here can only go so far - it will be more beneficial to have an experienced player sitting and watching you so that they can observe how you play and make suggestions, or correct bad habits that you may have developed without even realizing it.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I am self taught, i'm no dropout, and I don't play millions of hours a day. But with that. I am sloppy. Sometimes I don't put fingers in certain places and I have days where I really wish I would have had lessons other times, things work out really well for me. But I have been playing for almost a year an a half, I play at least an hour everyday. And I think I am slightly above a normal guitarist.

What do I say coming from that. Take lessons here and there, but you must have the drive to learn yourself. I am thinking about taking some lessons to iron out some of my kinks. The really good thing to do is get a buddy that is taking lessons or has taken lessons, and go jam with them alot.
Setup:
-Currently BC Strat (CUSTOM): HSH
-Peavey Tube Amp 200 watt 1x12 Celestion (4 ohm half stack cab as extension)

Kona Dreadnot Acoustic Guitar

Electric Strings: GHS Rockits- 11's
Acoustic Strings: Diaddario Mediums
Quote by smb
Are English lessons really essential? Depends on how bothered you are about your spelling. Same goes for music.

QFT

Sure, you can muddle through and become adept, even advanced, in your playing by yourself. However, taking lessons will absolutely help and give you a more direct path to where you want to be, usually in less time then you would be able to do if you were trying to figure it out for yourself.

Good call on the language similie smb, I was gonna use spanish but that works too
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Essential? No. Very helpful and likely to accelerate you playing ability 10 fold? Certainly.
Quote by Garou1911
Good call on the language similie smb, I was gonna use spanish but that works too
I just wanted to subtly complain about his spelling of "essential" really.
Quote by smb

STFU QTF

If you are serious about your instrument and want to make it more then just a hobby, take lessons. ESPECIALLY in the beginning. Thats the most critical point in your development because you are just learning the basic techniques and things. If you mess that up, then everything else you learn will be flawed too. Certain people will need to take lessons longer then others, but I'd recommend that everyone who is serious about their instrument take at least a year of lessons.
Quote by branflakes439

Slash did take guitar lessons and did a music theory course at school. He isn't 100% self taught.

Jimmy Page is another good example though.
definately, otherwise you won't know what you're playing..unless your gonna read about scales yourself on the internet or something...teachers are definately better cause they know everything and can help u...if u dont learn how are u gonna play a solo? pick random notes?
I'm self taught. Just started off learning easy songs, and advancing onto harder and harder ones. When there was a technique i didn't know, i'd just google it and figure it out.
lessons are kida needed - or u progress very slowly, like myself - tho i try and watch manny videos - im just been lazy to leearn. Nothin nicer then just showing up to a lesson and being taught
Lessons are a great way to speed up your learning process and to make sure you are learning more correct methods and techniques. You just have to make sure you have the right teacher to give those lessons. Bad or wrong teachers can do as much harm as good I would imagine.
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
Satriani is a great example.

No he isn't, Satch had lessons from loads of people. A good example would be...ummm...I can't think of anyone really, apart from the old blues greats.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No he isn't, Satch had lessons from loads of people. A good example would be...ummm...I can't think of anyone really, apart from the old blues greats.

Eddie Van Halen. He had piano lessons but not guitar.
if you take lesson itll help you learn it faster but it wont be as fun cause ull be forced to learn ur scales and chords as to learning it on ur own....it all depends on how determined you are....remember after the lessons u can always come back home and practise 11+....but if you learn therory by urself i dont see the need for lessons...they jus motivate u to learn new things and how to do the things u know better....ur call...personally imma student i dont got the money for tha **** lol
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
If you can take lessons do it helps alot if you just can't get something right or need to know what to practice on.
Everyone likes to point out examples like Jimi Hendrix and Joe Satriani etc, but I think it's safe to assume that none of us are them. Sure, it worked for a few greats, but they're a small percentage of the millions of guitarists out there. Yes, some people are gifted. Most aren't.

Sure, you can learn without lessons, but you'll be doing it the hard way. Period.

-Edit- And nobody ever points out Randy Rhodes. He was a fantastic player, and he took lessons every chance he could. There are a ton of stories about Randy just waltzing into a dusty little guitar shop before a gig and taking a lesson just to brush up. So clearly the self-learning approach isn't for everyone and in fact, probably isn't for most people.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jun 17, 2008,
Im perfectly content self teaching myself. Im not good at being taught things like guitar, I find trial and error alot better for me. To me, learning guitar on my own, overcoming obstacles in it, is alot more fun and enjoyable. If Im gonna enjoy playing guitar, Ill do it myself. Lessons are a really good choice, and I wouldnt recommend not taking them, but find out what you like more.
not completely essential, but they are the best thing you can do for your playing (if you get a good teacher)

it helped me a lot by learning knew techniques and cleaning the ones i already knew, i learned tons of theory too
I am self taught and I've been told by people who have worked in various sections of the music industry most of their lives that I am an exceptional guitar player. (I'm not trying to gloat or anything because personally I don't think I'm really that great - I see a lot of room for improvement!)

Also, when I was first learning I progressed A LOT faster than people I know who were taking lessons - Its all about whether you have are dedicated and really have your heart set in music or if its just something you want to do in your spare time.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jun 18, 2008,
i started off self taught, reading up stuff and using tabs... however my bro started getting lessons at our house so i figured may as well have some, have had 4 or 5 now and it helps, just the basics and he can help fix my technique etc.

he teaches scales and the more theory side i guess, i can play a couple songs self taught... best probly being killing in the name of.

been playing bout 2 months i guess.
hope that helps
I started playing at 11 and didn't take my first guitar lesson until I was 18 studying jazz guitar at the University of North Texas. That being said my mother was a music teacher so I could read music and also play flute and piano.

All the knowledge is out there in books, videos, and online. The main thing and instructor can do is open your mind to things you wouldn't normally think of on your own and provide an objetive view of what's right and wrong with your playing.

The main thing you can do to improve yourself as a player is to study music, not guitar. Being able to read music and understanding theory will open your eyes in ways purely studying guitar never will.
Quote by Garou1911
Joe Satriani

Satch. Had. Lessons.

For the last time, Satch had lessons from loads of people; I can't think of any great shredder who didn't have lessons. The only people I can think of who were truly great are all the old blues greats and Eddie Van Halen but EVH had piano lessons so I'm not sure about if that counts or not.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I had lessons from an old folk player in my church who taught me a few open chords and a couple of old christian songs. after about a month or two, he couldn't really take me any further and I have taught myself since. The only "lessons" I've had since have been mates teaching me a song or pointing out a bad habit I had picked up. I've been playing for around three and a half years now, and I can play most intermediate - advanced songs and written a few of my own, and I am currently teaching myself the 7 modes.

There's nothing to say that if you don't take lessons, your technique will be sloppy, or you won't be as good a player. You just have to be determined, and learn from watching other people, as well as books and videos etc...
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I tought myself. I used books bought from a guitar shop, and online lessons. A lot cheaper than paying for lessons, and I believe I learned everything I needed. Also, I noticed that in my first 4 months of playing, I progressed a lot faster than my friends that were taking lessons. So, my answer is no. I don't think lessons are necessary. Although I'm sure they help.
loads of great guitar players didn have lessons. Clapton, Page, Hendrix didn't have lessons, well page did have a couple, but those three guitar players are probably the most influential of all time. Angus young didn't know what chord he was playing before he joined ac/dc. basically most of the blues and classic rock guitarist from the 60's and 70's didn't take lessons or had very little.