OK, as i'm starting to develop my own style here, I realize that my bridge humbucker on my strat simply doesnt have the hotness that i typically want when i move to the bridge position. However, seeing as this is a deluxe MIA strat and a gift from my parents, i'm not so wild about replacing the humbucker all together. the first because i'm a little paranoid about changing out a pickup and the second because my parents won't understand why i would be doing that and may get offended.

What i'm wondering is this: is there a way that i can install some sort of onboard switch that would boost the signal coming from my pickup? im looking for something to give my guitar that extra "edge" or sharpness that a rly hot pickup would get. that make sense? would something like a treble booster do that?

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^ A preamp/gain boost on your guitar isn't going to do anything with your current SS amp except create nasty clipping.
Quote by T!AN
^ A preamp/gain boost on your guitar isn't going to do anything with your current SS amp except create nasty clipping.

thats nice, i wont be using that amp much over the next 4 years anyways, besides, i've never noticed that stupid clipping everyone keeps talking about, and yes i have turned it up all the way and listened for it. it doesnt exist. did it sound as good as a tube amp? no. did it sound bad tho? HECK NO.

now please, back to the guitar
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If you raise the pickup up closer to the strings you'll get a hotter sound.
Theres the black ice passive O/D system that fits in your tone pot
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Ghold125
^what amp will you be using?

im actually going to be using headphones, im running straight thru a boss ME-50.

yea, raising the pup sounds good too. except sometimes i like it the way it is now, you kno? i want something i can trun on and off

and, rly? ok sweet. i also just found this little switch taht EMG makes that you can install
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
thats nice, i wont be using that amp much over the next 4 years anyways, besides, i've never noticed that stupid clipping everyone keeps talking about, and yes i have turned it up all the way and listened for it. it doesnt exist. did it sound as good as a tube amp? no. did it sound bad tho? HECK NO.

now please, back to the guitar

If you want to deny the real problem and waste your money go on ahead, I was just trying to help...

EDIT: And notice how I said SS and not spider in my original post? That's because the problem will exist with any solid state amp, I wasn't just blindly hating on your amp. The boosts and preamps you're looking at are meant to push the guitar signal and overdrive tube amps.
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 15, 2008,
While I'm not a huge fan of Line 6 amps, I completely disagree that you have to have a tube amp to get "thump". I think Dimebag Darrell (RIP) would agree, all the old Pantera stuff was Randall solid state amps.

However, to me it sounds like you're best bet is a pickup swap.
Raise the pickup,if I can play Slayer on an SSS squier you can get hotness out of an HSS MIA strat.
Quote by T!AN
If you want to deny the real problem and waste your money go on ahead, I was just trying to help...

EDIT: And notice how I said SS and not spider in my original post? That's because the problem will exist with any solid state amp, I wasn't just blindly hating on your amp. The boosts and preamps you're looking at are meant to push the guitar signal and overdrive tube amps.

...like someone else said, SS =\= not hotness. thanks for trying to be helpful, but i wasnt saying that you meant only spiders. i knew what you meant. overdrrivers function the same way on SS amps btw. just not with tubes.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
EMG makes 2 solutions to your problem. The PA-2 and the Afterburner. They both do the same thing, but the pa-2 is switchable and the afterburner is just a gain knob.

Honestly though, I'd just go for a new pickup. Both of these preamps add gain to the signal, but at the cost of noise and hiss. And if your parents give you grief about changing pick-ups, just explain that adding a hotter pick-up is like adding better tires to a car.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
no overdrivers do not work the same on a SS as they do on a tube amp.

SS amps have pretty consistant tone as you turn them up, because it's all digital circuitry, there's nothing to change if you are pushing more signal through it, it's all done in a chip.

on a tube amp, as you put a hotter signal through the tubes, it will push them and reach that saturation that everyone wants so badly.

i'm not hating on solid states, i'm just correcting things. to each their own.

i'd go for an on board overdrive like the EMG one you were mentioning.
Quote by mikiedaman
no overdrivers do not work the same on a SS as they do on a tube amp.

SS amps have pretty consistant tone as you turn them up, because it's all digital circuitry, there's nothing to change if you are pushing more signal through it, it's all done in a chip.

on a tube amp, as you put a hotter signal through the tubes, it will push them and reach that saturation that everyone wants so badly.

i'm not hating on solid states, i'm just correcting things. to each their own.

i'd go for an on board overdrive like the EMG one you were mentioning.

thanks for the help and clearing things up. i understand things work like that, its just that i came in from holland last night so i'm a bit tired still. therefore im a bit lazy in my explanations.

however, i have found that the spider actually works well in terms of amp modelling and overdrivers. for example, if i put a boosted signal into my spider, it actually simulates the added drive/crunch that a tube amp would experience. while its not perfect, it still does it. turning up the volume, as you mentioned, doesnt do anything but make it louder, though. its kinda nifty i think. it gives me a bit more control over how much crunch i have.

personally, id still rather have a nice tube, but when it comes down to it, a tube wouldnt make any sense for me right now, so my SS is perfectly fine for me.

edit: btw thanks again for helping/clearing things up
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by jake911
Well if you are gonna play through headphones, use good ones.

yea, i've got a couple of pairs i like right now, but they are cheapish. im kinda thinking that im going to wait till i get to college to buy headphones and/or mod my strat. that way i'll know how much money that i can spend.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
yup you're dead on, it will give you more crunch and unless you have your amp CRANKED, don't worry about clipping.

if you're going to be playing through a ME-50 and headphones, you'll see a different tone for sure with a signal booster on your guitar.