I was at a local music store today, and the only non MIM fender or affinity squier they had was an overpriced (well from GC or musiciansfriend experience) MIA fender p bass. I asked if I could play it, but the guy said it had broken pickups.

how would they "break?" I'm assuming that someone broke them doing something they shouldnt do with the bass, because the bass looked brand new, and it had no dents or scratches or anything to make it seem as someone dropped it. (my neighbor got one recently in the same colors and such and this one looked newer than his). I really wanted to play it, but was stuck with playing an affinity with the worst fret buzz I have ever heard in my life thru a 15 watt amp so that the guitarists could here themselves

also this place isn't what I would call a quality shop, its just the only thing in town. When I asked about a Stingray they said they don't sell low quality items like Stingrays. should give you an idea of how these people run their business.
in my ninth grade year, this bassist was slapping on a kids guitar, long story short he busted a pickup *it fell in the hole*, maybe the same thing happened here. but as we all know bass and guitar pickups are WAY different.
Quote by drunkinkoala
It's weird, kids want to be adults and adults want to be kids.

Quote by HarmlessLilF*ck
You know you're a guitar player when you would rather use the internet to look at pictures of guitars than spread eagled chicks.
Quote by saulhudsonslash
in my ninth grade year, this bassist was slapping on a kids guitar, long story short he busted a pickup *it fell in the hole*, maybe the same thing happened here. but as we all know bass and guitar pickups are WAY different.

Pickups aren't really THAT different... they're all just magnets with copper wire wrapped around them.
A broken pickup has a break somewhere in the very thin wire that makes up the coil, or it has a bad connection.
use that as a bartering point and buy yourself a MIA p bass for cheap
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
use that as a bartering point and buy yourself a MIA p bass for cheap

I tried...even with broken pickups he wouldnt lower price, not even kidding.
Sounds like this guy is full of shit. He probably said "broken" because it's a term everyone can understand, including guitar noobs like he assumed you were. He's obviously is an elitist from the "low quality" remark about Stingers, and he's just dumb for not knocking the price down. Find your nearest GC, surely it will be better than this guy's shop.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Jun 16, 2008,
nearest GC is like a minimum 75 miles away, believe me if it was closer this never would have happened.

and it truly is busted I told him to show me and he put it in 4 different amps with the same cord I used to play on other stuff later and it didnt work
Quote by matsif
I was at a local music store today, and the only non MIM fender or affinity squier they had was an overpriced (well from GC or musiciansfriend experience) MIA fender p bass. I asked if I could play it, but the guy said it had broken pickups..
this is his way of saying," i hand him a $1200 bass means,
i gotta stand here and make sure he doesn't steal it".
Quote by matsif

how would they "break?" I'm assuming that someone broke them doing something they shouldnt do with the bass, because the bass looked brand new, and it had no dents or scratches or anything to make it seem as someone dropped it. (my neighbor got one recently in the same colors and such and this one looked newer than his). I really wanted to play it, but was stuck with playing an affinity with the worst fret buzz I have ever heard in my life thru a 15 watt amp so that the guitarists could here themselves .
this just means he doesn't have to worry about you breaking anything valuable. and they won't spend alot of time with a non-purchasing
"window shopper". try going in with your dad, or older friend. when i go into a music store, they know i'm there to buy something. it's the attitude. they'll let us old farts play anything. they think we can afford it. doh!
Quote by matsif

also this place isn't what I would call a quality shop, its just the only thing in town. When I asked about a Stingray they said they don't sell low quality items like Stingrays. should give you an idea of how these people run their business.

this is his polite way of saying. we are not an authorized dealer, although he wishes they were.