If you are using an EQ pedal to shape your tone, what do you set the amps EQ at?

Do you just use the EQ pedal and leave the amp flat? Or do you start with the pedal flat, EQ your amp and then tweak with the pedal?

or

C. Any of the above.
hmmmm........thats a good question, im also interested in this.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I set my amp to get best sound I can, then I set the eq and then I re adjust everything together. It can be a lot of work, but the pay off is worth it.

I should note that on my HRD I set the eq then I set the amp since it's tone controls were junk.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I just got a MXR 6 band, and I set the amp how I like then use the EQ to basically beef up the sound where needed.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
i think it depends on how you want to use the eq pedal. if i was going to leave the pedal on at all times, then i would eq the amp flat then work with the pedal. if i was going to use the pedal to change the tone mid-song or something, i would set the amp how i wanted it and tweak with the pedal. there really isnt a wrong way though, as long as you can get the sound you want.
Quote by StriferDiem
I just got a MXR 6 band, and I set the amp how I like then use the EQ to basically beef up the sound where needed.

Same.
live to play live
i really want an EQ pedal now. does anyone want to just give me one?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^^^+1

Nothing wrong with experimenting either. Boost the mids on your amp to cut them out a bit with the eq, you might like how it sounds since it will be a bit different than normal scoopage.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^^^+1

Nothing wrong with experimenting either. Boost the mids on your amp to cut them out a bit with the eq, you might like how it sounds since it will be a bit different than normal scoopage.

yeah alot of people who are known to scoop mids do the same thing, or maybe they do the opposite. i dont remember.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
yea like people say it depends...

I recently discovered the wonders of putting an EQ in the effects loop. In your pedal chain you can shape your sound, and like someone else said dial in your amp the best you can and use the eq pedal to get it perfect...

but in the effects loop, it can shape it, but its got a lot higher range. I set all my setting on my amp at 12 oclock, and use my eq pedal from there. The eq pedal in the effects loop can shape your tone or, for example, give you some crazy treble boost, or mid scoop etc...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
FX loop + EQ pedal = powerful tool. I would use an eq in front of my amp as a solo boost if I didn't like the way tubescreamers and their copies sound.
Thanks everybody. Just confirming what I thought, there is no one way to do things.

I'm thinking of getting one since my amp only has one set of controls for both channels. So with a separate eq I could basically have each channel eq'd differently. Say clean on the built in eq and then for lead I kick in the pedal eq.
That's a very good way to overcome a two channel one eq amps biggest downfall.