I love guitar , i have been playing for half a year now , but one thing that i hate is the way i play. I started learning at my school where we had to use classical guitar techniques such as playing with a rest stroke where u pick the string with your finger and rest on the next one . It is a very flamenco like technique. Then when i started learning at home the habit stuck with me . I didn't think much about it , and i figured if i wanted to use a pick i would learn very fast . I have been trying to use a pick ever since but i cant get it . It feels so unnatural and very uncomfortable . But now I am getting into a lot of lead stuff and its hard to use my fingers . I can still go very fast but not fast enough . What should i do ? Its been killing my guitar life .To get a sense of were i am i can play the Layla solo(unplugged)2x speed with fingers, maybe more I am not sure , but when it comes to very high bends up the neck the fingers don't have much sustain and I am horrible at that, and i cant shred up the strings ( from high e going towards low e) for nothing , do u have suggestions on what i can do thank u very much ,

P.S sorry for my bad grammar i was in a hurry
Last edited by flyingE27 at Jun 15, 2008,
^suggestions on what you can do?.....

um, learn english?

oh wait, you mean learning to use a pick

practice, practice, practice and take lessons if you can.
What in the blue **** are you talking about?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i play an electric guitar with a rest stroke , for example i pick the e string with my finger and my finger lands and rests on the b string , srry if im not being clear enough
TS, please fix up the grammar and spelling in your original post and then post again. I refuse to respond until this happens, and I encourage everyone to do the same.
Electric guitar and rock music are almost always played with a pick. What your doing sounds like a made-up technique (I did the same things when I was a beginner). I advice you to start playing with picks.
This is true. However, an electric guitar is not a classical guitar, and songs like Layla or other classic rock songs cannot be played properly, and won't sound like they should, unless played with a pick.
I figured it was alright if i played a different way , i look at people like Mark Knopfler , and even though he plays his guitar fully finger picked i thought that this technigue is just a variation of that . I still play the low e and a with my thumb .
Some guitarists indeed play fingerstyle electric guitar, mostly country guitarists or southern rock guitarists. At any rate, I still will suggest learning to play with a pick, or at least playing both ways.
thanks for your advice , i will try to use a pick , maybe even hybrid picking one day lol
rest stroke is used in classical guitar as a method for tonal variation and for emphasizing notes, you could do it with a pick on electric, but it probably wouldn't be all that noticeable due to the fact that electric strings are not nearly as sensitive to subtle variation like nylon strings are. Although I bet there are players out there that use it with a pick. If you want to learn to use a pick look up a lesson on alternate picking and stick to using free strokes with the pick for now.....
Make sure that you are only using your wrist when you are using a pick. Most beginners are more inclined to use their elbow, usually when playing fast. But, getting into the habit of using your wrist will make your picking journey much easier.

And as a side note, please don't ever play the acoustic version of Layla twice as fast as it should be played. Eric Clapton played it slow for a reason.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I'd say you should just keep playing with your fingers, and develop your own unique style for playing the music you love. Who says it needs to be played the same way as the composers? Hendrix played with his fingers, as does Jeff Beck (at least on the Crossroads DVD).

As a side note, people on this forum can be pretty pretentious. I didn't think his grammar made his post incoherent, and I didn't feel as if by reading it my character was degraded upon. And as another example, Iron_Dude, who cares if he plays Layla twice as fast? Mind your own damn business.
Quote by Donswald
I'd say you should just keep playing with your fingers, and develop your own unique style for playing the music you love. Who says it needs to be played the same way as the composers? Hendrix played with his fingers, as does Jeff Beck (at least on the Crossroads DVD).

As a side note, people on this forum can be pretty pretentious. I didn't think his grammar made his post incoherent, and I didn't feel as if by reading it my character was degraded upon. And as another example, Iron_Dude, who cares if he plays Layla twice as fast? Mind your own damn business.

Actually... I kind of agree with this. If you are already pretty good at playing fingerstyle and it feels right to you, I would suggest working on your issues within fingerstyle instead of forcing yourself to use a pick. At the same time, learning how to pick is also valuable. To insinuate that most rock songs can't be played with a pick is pretty ridiculous. As a matter of fact, there are probably more rock songs that can't be played with traditional pick technique alone than there are rock songs that can't be played with traditional fingerstyle technique alone.

The other guitarist in my band NEVER, EVER plays with a pick and he can do many things I can't because his fingerstyle technique is fairly advanced. My picking and hybrid picking techniques are more advanced than his and as a result, I can play many things that can't as well. Someone mentioned Mark Knopfler as probably the most famous rock electric fingerstyle guitarist (and simply one of the most famous rock guitarists). Also watch some good slide guitar players; most of them don't use a pick when playing slide (although that, admittedly, is quite different than other fingerstyle techniques).

If you do eventually decide that you want to play with a pick, by all means go for it. But the simple fact that you can play with your fingers might mean that you just have a unique sound and style compared to every other picker in your town.
If you can master it ...you can become a bad ass bass player.

I can do it at decent speed..but not super fast as if i was using a pick.
That's why I hammer/pull some of the notes.lol
Some people call that..legato

I read his post without any problems.

Play to a metronome and build up your speed slowly.

Maybe try changing your count to 1 and e 2 and e 3 and e 4 and e.

I have to do the samething when playing the drums to a different count so I don't get the sticks cross or loose track of my count.
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 16, 2008,
my 2 cents is learn to play with a pick and once you've done that you should be able to mix the 2 to get an interesting hybrid of picking and finger picking (its what i do, though i only have 1 or 2 songs that really utilize it) you can wow other guitar players by using a pick and your fingers together.