ok 500$ is my absolute limmit, i have an http://en.euroguitar.com/guitar/ibanez/rg/rg350dx/113529.html ,,,, i went to guitar center and tried the tube amps wich include the cube 60, valve king 112, and crate v50. i didnt like any of them as much as the other amp that i have been looking at for a while, the solid state line 6 spider 3 120 watt and 150 watt (but id rather get the 150 watt), where do you suppose i go from here? are there any other amps that i should try and is the line 6 the best choice. thank you. ( i play ALL metal, very little rock, and i play in some bands and i want my next amp to last me long enough and to play loud enough in small concerts)
Last edited by jdog_has_ibanez at Jun 16, 2008,
Don't take offense to this, but you have no ear for tone. The Spider is also terribly unreliable. For you I suggest a Valveking with a boost, a randall rg50tc, maybe some sort of bugera, and the cube 60 would work, though not your best bet.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I was going for the Spider, but know I'm buying The Fender Twin reverb.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
if you wanna spend 500$ on a cheap beginner amp... but personally i wouldn't...
and you probably don't need 120 watts... or 150 for that matter. But it's a lower end budget amp. you can do a lot better for the money

The valveking doesn't sound nearly as cheap as the line 6. I didn't like it to much i got my b-52 instead... i thought it sounded kinda digital... but not nearly as bad as the line 6. You probably like the line 6 because SS can reach higher lvls of gain easier... but a tube amp with a pedal in front of it will sound so much better.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Jun 15, 2008,
I own a spider III and theyre not as bad as people think. I've been in a lot of music shops and they always told me that if you want a low budget amp that sounds good for metal, line 6 will do it. A lower end Marshall (MG series), for example, wouldn't be able to handle loud, heavily distorted sounds, but the Spider does it perfect.
line 6 spider III's are HORRIBLE amps.. i had one and returned it after TRYING to like it for like 2 weeks.. i got a marshall...

i'd say go with anything other than line 6. i will never buy from them again... not even a pedal..
Quote by Pat_s1t
I own a spider III and theyre not as bad as people think. I've been in a lot of music shops and they always told me that if you want a low budget amp that sounds good for metal, line 6 will do it. A lower end Marshall (MG series), for example, wouldn't be able to handle loud, heavily distorted sounds, but the Spider does it perfect.

Wait till you develop an ear for tone, you will realize how wrong you are.
If your going to get a line 6 look into the Flextone III or even a used vetta, definately not a spider. Or you could always try a Fender Hot Rod deluxes and a few pedals.....
Fender hot rod delux isn't really voiced for metal. I had a metal muff in front of mine and I still didn't like it. If all he plays is metal he definitely should get an amp that can at least do hard rock on it's own and push it to metal...

my two cents
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^Agreed. HRD is garbage for metal.
I have to disagree with you there I was at guitar center a few few weeks ago and noticed a kid getting a great metal tone out of the HRD. He was using an OD and then a Distortion to boost the amp, add a little delay in there and I think you could get a sick tone. But thats just my opinion just make sure you give it a try before you decide..... I do own a Carvin V3 just so you don't think I'm just some idiot who's never heard a good tube before.....
^Buy you're totally going against the amps nature. Why get all that extra stuff to make a blues amp do metal when you could get a metal amp that does it on it's own?
I'm gonna stick my nose in and say Bugera 6260 or Peavey Valveking. Also, the B-52 AT is good too
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Buy you're totally going against the amps nature. Why get all that extra stuff to make a blues amp do metal when you could get a metal amp that does it on it's own?

To me I see the HRD as a building block its great for using a multi effects you can make it do metal. If you run a multieffects through the PA its great as a stage mointor. Its obviously great for cleans/bluesy stuff. You could build a pedal board around it. I see it as versility for a cheap price while still getting real tube tone. Now the Vox AC30 would be the ideal amp but if you looking for a cheaper alternative I would'nt overlook it. Now if your in a one genre box and only want one tone your right just buy a used 5150 and your set. But for someone like me who plays a variety of music I need a variety of tones. An I really just love creating new things, even if I'll never use it live its just plain fun....
The Spider, was THE WORST mistake I have ever made. I was in EXACTLY your position. And i went for the one that I could quickly get to make high-gain metal tones. But once you develop an ear for tone, or try recording, you realise that it sounds like dump. I have played the valveking, and imo for the price its absolutley ridiculous. Im probobly going to be buying one myself soon.
Quote by Osiris77
To me I see the HRD as a building block its great for using a multi effects you can make it do metal. If you run a multieffects through the PA its great as a stage mointor. Its obviously great for cleans/bluesy stuff. You could build a pedal board around it. I see it as versility for a cheap price while still getting real tube tone. Now the Vox AC30 would be the ideal amp but if you looking for a cheaper alternative I would'nt overlook it. Now if your in a one genre box and only want one tone your right just buy a used 5150 and your set. But for someone like me who plays a variety of music I need a variety of tones. An I really just love creating new things, even if I'll never use it live its just plain fun....

Err, an ac30 is like 1000 dollars.

Anyways, to each his own. I mean, they make amps that do what you want. The b-52 at112 does metal easily and has great cleans. It does everything in between pretty well too. Hell, my f-30 cost less than a new HRD and the cleans are as good and its good for any genre and sounds much better. I personally find Multi-fx pedals to sound like garbage, and anything but a tube powered distortion pedal is usually crap imo.
save up for a used 5150 combo
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah