I'm looking at getting the Boss RC-2 loop pedal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RC2-Loop-Station-Stomp-Box?sku=487040

First, I need to know how they work.

How is the sound recorded? Is it fed straight from the guitar into the pedal and then into the amp? If so, are the amp settings recorded so that you can layer tracks with different amp settings on them, or is the guitar signal recorded and then fed through the amp with the effects that are on the amp at that moment?

I hope the question makes sense. Thanks.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
It's only the guitar and any pedals that come before the loop station that get recorded
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
Unless you put in your amps effects loop if it has one. Then you will get the distortion from the amp recorded on there too.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by TdotBass
It's only the guitar and any pedals that come before the loop station that get recorded

So if I record the loop with - say - a clean sound, and then try to go and play over it with distortion, the original loop will come out distorted (assuming I don't have any other pedals)?
Yes, and that assuming it's in front of the amp and not in the FX loop
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yes, and that assuming it's in front of the amp and not in the FX loop

The FX loop being a loop setting on the amp itself?
No, it a place to run pedals between the amps preamp (where the distortion is created) and the poweramp (where the signal is boosted one final time for the speaker). What kind of amp do you have? Your might not have one.
Quote by Kevin Saale
No, it a place to run pedals between the amps preamp (where the distortion is created) and the poweramp (where the signal is boosted one final time for the speaker). What kind of amp do you have? Your might not have one.

Ahh... It's an older model... Tube preamp.

Crate GT 200, I believe.

There is a plug on the back that says "Stereo Effects Loop", and has a line in and line out plug.

Will this allow me to use different settings?

Edit: Thanks for all you guys' help thus far, btw.
Well if you played a lick clean and then hit a distortion pedal before it, the lick would stay clean. Unless it goes amp ---- distortion----loop, the lick wont be distorted. In fact, the lick itself wouldnt be recorded distorted if your setup were like that; it would only remain distorted if the pedal itself stayed on to distort it. If you use the amp, however, then the loop would be overdriven along with the overdubs.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
I think using that effects loop (you're gonna need a stereo cable which splits into two mono cables I think) you could record clean tracks and overdub with distortion or something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
You have to think of what you do top the signal as it goes.

Effects happen in the pedal, and then get sent out to the next, etc. So if you go guitar>wah>distortion>delay>looper>amp, first the wah effect is applied, then the distortion, then the delays, etc.

But if you went delay>distortion>wah>looper>amp, you'd first be generation the delayed signal, then distortion would be applied to that, then you'd be wah-ing that signal... you see?

So if you put your looper first, before anything, it'll only record a clean signal and you can can put different effects on top of it. If you put it after all your pedal but in front of the amp, it'll record the pedals sounds but you can still change the tone from the amp. And depending how your amp is wired, if you have the looper in the FX loop, if the knobs are all placed before the FX loop in the circuit then any changes there will be recorded by the looper. but if they come after then they won't.