Page 1 of 4
Like earlier today, I made the realization that I was no longer a ****ty guitarist. I mean, I'm not a god by any means, but like I was sitting there listening to this little 3 track recording I made and was like, hmm...not too shabby haha. Anyone else have a moment like this?
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.
When my old band and I were jamming in our garage, at home, the door opened and several people gathered around to listen to us.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

lol haha

yup, when ppl around me told me i had picked it up pretty fast and my name started to circulate around my muscian friends and even the school
I know what you mean.
At some point I stopped denying the complements, and thought:
"maybe I am pretty good!"
Yesterday I jammed with this other guitarist that was loads better than me.
That always hurts...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
My friends and I record us just screwing around and then don't listen to the recordings for a few weeks. Then we go back and listen to see if there are any potential song ideas. It is pretty cool because by then we forgot what we played and usually are pretty impressed by ourselves.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
When my guitar teacher first said to me, "That's a pretty tricky riff, what is it? ..what? you just made it up yourself?"
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think most people realize this when they listen to recordings of them playing. Like for me, when i'm playing I don't think i'm that good. But when I listen to it later, i'm like, damn I can write some pretty cool stuff.
when people started paying me
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
I guess when I started jamming with some other guys a few years ago and they were like in awe...

I don't really like it though when people tell me I'm good and stuff...I mean it makes me feel good and everything but it's just kinda awkward for me cause I don't really think I'm that great.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

Quote by hendrixfreak93
I know what you mean.
That always hurts...

god i hate that. when i first started playing my guitarist friend was like "hey lets jam" and he looked like hendrix compared to me. i felt so bad lol
I'd say a year-year and a half playing. My friends are always willing to say I suck though (my friends are dicks).
Quote by hendrixfreak93
I know what you mean.
That always hurts...

Yea, I know that feeling haha. One of my best pals and jammin buddies here in town is basically god's gift to the six string...but he's humble about it, and general lets me play lead anyways. But yea, when we just rock out, its awesome, but afterwards it always seems like I got so far to go haha.
Quote by jakstar
god i hate that. when i first started playing my guitarist friend was like "hey lets jam" and he looked like hendrix compared to me. i felt so bad lol

happened to me to except it was ackward as hell cuz he handed me his guitar and said play me something and i just kinda sat there and i would hit a note every few seconds and then look up. god that sucked
Probably about six months ago. I found I could handle myself in a band situation, and actually step up to the plate and write around the basic bass lines and such. I know I'll never be as good as I should, or want to be, but I know I'm at least a "good bassist".
I realised when people I'd never met before said 'ohh you're that mad guitarist, I've heard a lot about you man'
You also realise you're good when guitar = pussy
ohai little sig.
Quote by Can't Stop
happened to me to except it was ackward as hell cuz he handed me his guitar and said play me something and i just kinda sat there and i would hit a note every few seconds and then look up. god that sucked

I hate when people do that. When they try and get you to show your stuff or whatever and you draw a blank.
I still suck.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
umm

i'm still not a very good guitarist, but i realized that i had a pretty good singing voice when i was a junior in high school (bout 4 years ago)

since then I've worked on it, I think I'm a darn good singer... and now a "solid" rhythm guitarist - nothing special or fancy but I can do what I got to do to hold with my voice and the rest of the band.
everytime i think im good i get scared thinking maybe there is nothing left to learn, then i listen to some shredders and realize i still ahve a long way to go YES!!!

i've learnt through experience that the journey is more fun than the finished result
I started getting my big head after I played in my band on guitar for a few months (I played drums for a year in it, and then guitar for another year). I just realized that I had professional show etiquette, and that we played a lot tighter - especially me and the other guitarist - than other local bands. Unfortunately though our drummer was more show-off oriented than solid.
We're only strays.
I suck, but I like to hear that I'm good.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
I first realized that I was good at drums when my band had their first practice and everyone was complimenting me on my skillz.
Last summer, I never really tried to compare myself because I thought it was arrogant, however I can jam with pretty much any musician I meet, but I am not god by any means, just like said.
Quote by benjy118
I still suck.

haha holy **** your the guy that made that video response to the whammy bar kids video. haha dude that was the ****. i laughed my ass off
when i started shredding over Invalid Litter Dept. by ATDI

i was stoked as a motherfucker.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by rossjohnson87
Yea, I know that feeling haha. One of my best pals and jammin buddies here in town is basically god's gift to the six string...but he's humble about it, and general lets me play lead anyways. But yea, when we just rock out, its awesome, but afterwards it always seems like I got so far to go haha.

Yeah, this guy I jammed with was humble about it.
He was from Tennessee and learned completely by ear, couldn't read tab.
He had the solo to Crazy Train NAILED, while I sat there playing Immigrant Song :sad
He gave me a few tips though. He was really a great guitarist.
Motivated me too, to get better.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
when somebody made a comment about my mad xylophone skills.
Nudedragon fan.
well people started commenting on how i was starting to sound really good. And when my dad asked my sister if i'd turn my cd player off caues it was too loud and she said that I was playing guitar. I guess that helped but I didn't really start thinking myself as good until I started jamming with my friends older brother (who's known to be the 'guitar god' of our town or whatever, he's amazing) and i was keeping up with him and he started telling me he had no idea i was that good.
I feel like i'm good from time to time...then I start to feel like the crappiest guitarrist alive again
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

when my friend who i thought was really good, and had played for five years(ive played for 2 now), said that i was better than he was, and alot of my other friends said i was good
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
I felt good when I finally learned lines in the sand, all the way through.\

I still don't think I'm very good though.
Well, I first realized I was good when John Petrucci challenged me to a guitar duel.

I won. He left a wreck, honestly, I just could not let him go looking so sad. So I challenged him, and let him win. So, now the bastard goes around bragging about how he beat me.

It's alright. I shredded his hair off in a very stylish haircut. We're even Petrucci
Page 1 of 4