I have decided to buy a MIM Strat. I am looking for some suggestions on whether to get a HSS or SSS Strat. I mostly play classic rock, few metal like Metallica, and blues rock.
Go with the HSS. The humbucker helps for the heavier stuff.
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
Ty for the imput, but will the humbucker take away from that blues sound?
I think the blues sound you are talking about is the use of the neck pickup.

BUt I would go for a ssh for versatility.
So the humbucker will not take away any sound that the standard SSS can make, but it will help with playing metal? If so, then my decision is made
cool. This answers the same question I was going to ask. Nice thread. Looks like Im getting a HSS strat too.
Quote by Underjoggle
My guitar is made from the wood of Christ's cross. With strings made of his beard hair.
Quote by jake909
So the humbucker will not take away any sound that the standard SSS can make, but it will help with playing metal? If so, then my decision is made

well, i guress that is not totally true. some people like their SCs in the Bridge position but for what you want - HSS all the way. The stock HB is not the greatest either but you can always upgrade that to a different one later like I did.
Quote by jake909

Um, yes, it will take away sounds that the SSS can make. You can't get something without giving it up - and you're giving up the sound of a Single Coil in the bridge position in exchange for a Humbucker. It's all about what sounds YOU want, so you should really try both on the amp you'll be using it with, and see which suits you better.
I vote HSS. Gives you the most versatility and you can still get a great blues sound--it comes from the neck pickup, which is the same as a regular Strat.
It depends if you have another guitar with humbuckers.. if so I'd say get the single coil.. playing a strat you won't need to go all heavy.. that's what your guitar with humbuckers is for.

but if this is going to be your only guitar then get the HSS
HSS if you swap out the pickup, which is total **** on MIM. same with the SSS. if you get SSS, which i find more enjoyable playing, you can get seymour duncan hot rails for the extra gain, but it will still sound single coil-y. whichever you think sounds better. dont listen to those subjective people. i bought SSS and played metal on it haha.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
HSS if you swap out the pickup, which is total **** on MIM. same with the SSS. if you get SSS, which i find more enjoyable playing, you can get seymour duncan hot rails for the extra gain, but it will still sound single coil-y. whichever you think sounds better. dont listen to those subjective people. i bought SSS and played metal on it haha.

FYI, your opinion on the sound of the humbuckers is subjective as well. Opinions are subjective by nature. Facts are objective.

Hot rails are stacked humbuckers. They don't retain the single coil sound. Thus, if you're suggesting he buy the SSS only to swap out the bridge pickup for a hot rails, why not just get the HSS? It would give him a larger selection of humbuckers to swap in.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 16, 2008,
If you like the SSS look of a Strat you could always change the bridge pick up for a single coil humbucker
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical