So I've been looking for a while now for a cheap bass, I've taken my trip to the store to try out basses for a day and My choices are... (I'm a guitar player who needs a bass from time to time)

Ibanez GSR205FM

or...

Squier VM Fretless Jazz Bass

Yes, I realize they're complete opposites... And that's my problem.

I like the Ibanez for it's punchy active tone, Great playabilty and 5 strings for that extra stuff.

I like the squier for it's 'interesting' fretless quality and it's rich lower tones as well as having more tonal range.

I don't like the Ibanez because it has a very specific sound (though I do love it!) that won't be desired sometimes.

I don't like the squier because of the reason I love it, the fretless will make it more difficult to play some things.

I play anything from Funk, Rock, Metal, Jazz, Reggae. (On my guitar I play a lot of flamenco).

The Ibanez is MEGA easy to slap, which I'm already not bad at and I plan to get better.

So questions to answer, if you'd be so kind:

What do you like better? Why?
Why not the other one?
Which is more durable? I need a bass to last a good while (I take great care of them)
I would go for the Ibanez. Seems like a better starter bass to me. If you take great care of them you will not have to worry about anything breaking on them other than strings. The Ibanez GSR205 just seems to me a better bass in general than the Squier.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Well, I also would go Ibanez. Tho I love Fenders and both my electrics are Fenders, a fretless Bass is somethin I think most guitarist would dislike. Yeah, it seems cool, but later on you'll think that you shoulda gotten a fretted Bass. The five strings on the Ibanez is also a great feature. It gives you that low B for extra punch where you want it. Plus, a whole new section of scales, riffs, and licks become available. I'd say both are equally as durable, except for one thing. On Squier guitars, there tends to be a badly designed metal bridge. (I took that out and replace it with a plastic bridge on my Squier Bullet.) But that might not be true of Squier Basses. So, yeah, I say Ibanez.
actually squier vm series is very good for squier anyway. it gets recommended quite often around here. Having said that for a starter bass i'd usually go for the ibanez because it's fretted and i also love ibanez basses. I highly suggest you go play on a fretless bass before buying the fretless. if you think you have the kind of work ethic to put down a ton of time to learn intonation without frets then it could be ok. but the ibanez is probably the better choice for your situation as bass is a completely different beast than a guitar and it will take some relearning physically and stylistically even with frets.

So I say it's really up to you but my suggestion is probably the ibanez.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I've been borrowing my friends' Squier "Bronco Bass" for the past month...

Worst thing ever.
-The sound sucks, no tone range.
-The action is so high, I had to put flashing lights on the strings so ****ing planes wouldn't hit them.
-Not a full scale bass.

BUT... I did learn a lot from it, and since I have a lot of training from flamenco, my fingers work very well and independently... So my basic (No pun intended) background is there.
Quote by roshjosh
I've been borrowing my friends' Squier "Bronco Bass" for the past month...

Worst thing ever.
-The sound sucks, no tone range.
-The action is so high, I had to put flashing lights on the strings so ****ing planes wouldn't hit them.
-Not a full scale bass.

BUT... I did learn a lot from it, and since I have a lot of training from flamenco, my fingers work very well and independently... So my basic (No pun intended) background is there.

That VM fretless is nothing like the other squiers.

I played it side by side with a MIM fretless and the VM was better IMO.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
between these two, i would choose the fretted Ibanez. unless you've had a couple of years of orchestra at school. you should however, look at everything in your price range. the VM's are great in there price range, and the Ibanez ain't to shabby! you can get a used Fender for about the same money as a new, "lesser" bass.
almost forgot. if you like the versatility of the squier vm's sound but wanted to go with fretted why not go for a squier vm fretted jazz bass?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu