I'm doing a cover of Seek and Destroy and the solo effect is bugging me, I'm almost positive that it's a form of delay or something of the like, can some one tell me what effect and it is, and if you can the settings so I can get close to it? Thanks.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Just sounds like his hot rodded marshall at the brink of destruction. Maybe a tiny bit of reverb in there, but nothing that will make or break the sound.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
No I know the gear, modded JCM 800's, with ProCat distortion pedals and a bit of reverb, but theres an effect on the solo. Which I want to know.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

just sounds like a boost, nothing more.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Yeah, I think it's more the amp than anythin else and jus the slightest hint of reverb. The reverb, if you put it on a scale of 0 to 10, is on 10 on this song. I do the same thing to put a lil more thickness in my playin.
As far as I can tell there is no effect there and I don't think that kirk using any effects beside wah and delay.
Quote by Kevin Saale
As far as I can tell there is no effect there and I don't think that kirk using any effects beside wah and delay.

Well first it's Mustaine that did all the solos on Kill em All, and that's what I was wondering if it's a delay, because I can play the solo perfect from the Ultimate Guitar tab, the newest and highest rated one, but It feels like I'm playing less notes, and sounds nothing like the song, even on my JCM 800, so I think it's a delay that's giving that sort of audio illusion there's more notes being played.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by Kevin Saale

Agreed, and if there is a wah he's probably just keeping it in the down position the whole time.

Just work on your pentatonic wankery, threadstarter.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Those are the only effects he ever uses. And much more wah than delay ever. On this song tho, it's Dave Mustaine (Kill 'Em All album is all Mustaine on lead, check who wrote it) and he uses almost nothin for this solo.
Quote by DSchmitty
Well first it's Mustaine that did all the solos on Kill em All, and that's what I was wondering if it's a delay, because I can play the solo perfect from the Ultimate Guitar tab, the newest and highest rated one, but It feels like I'm playing less notes, and sounds nothing like the song, even on my JCM 800, so I think it's a delay that's giving that sort of audio illusion there's more notes being played.

I'm pretty sure Mustaine wrote a lot of the solos, but he didn't record them as far as I know.

But yeah... just pentatonic wankery at its finest, nothing more.
Yeah but I followed the tab perfect, perfect speed, no sloppiness, I tried playing as tight and as loose, I tried everything, but there sounds like he's playing double the notes, go look at the tab.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

record it, maybe you're just too close to your own work.
Quote by DSchmitty
Yeah but I followed the tab perfect, perfect speed, no sloppiness, I tried playing as tight and as loose, I tried everything, but there sounds like he's playing double the notes, go look at the tab.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about... so I'm guessing the tab's wrong. I can get pretty much those exact phrasings with no effects.

Pick faster?
Well I improve a bit in between sort of to try and make it sound more like shredding but it ain't working, I'm thinking either he's using some kind of delay or some parts we're over dubbed (like the first lick in the solo).
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by DSchmitty
Well I improve a bit in between sort of to try and make it sound more like shredding but it ain't working, I'm thinking either he's using some kind of delay or some parts we're over dubbed (like the first lick in the solo).

Hm... maybe he double- tracked the solo and played really sloppy?
why dont you like watch a live version of it?

that might help a little, see if he steps on a pedal or anything right before the solo
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
There's no good quality videos from back then what so ever that I could find, and when he plays live he throws wa'h on top for some reason.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist