Page 1 of 3
depends who
I respect 'em if they're actually impressive
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
I respect them. They put in a massive amounts of time to perfect and learn theory, scales, etc. and manage to play it well.
yea depends if their a good shredder who puts time to be good not those half assed shredders who suck ass and can't play at all.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
If said shredder doesn't partake in EPIK BENDZ, then they aren't respected by blues guitarists. At least from what I've seen.

EDIT: Delirium and JeanMi both speak the truth.
Last edited by synpet713192 at Jun 15, 2008,
Thing is, shredding is one thing within a guitarist's repertoire. More often than not, the guitarists that people refer to as shredders do a lot more than just shred, so it'd be stupid not to respect them. It's like not respecting a trumpet player because they use a mute sometimes.
I don't like shredders with the shred attitude "Man, you can't shred, therefore, you suck"
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Most guitarists I've seen have more than respect for shredders, then again, most of them aren't that smart. I'm not really into shred, but I have respect for some shredders.
they have my respect
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by BrokenAmbitions
yes and no, depends on if they have skill in it.... Like Yngwie Malmsteen

All Yngwie does is shred, though. Better examples would be versatile shredders like Vai and Petrucci.
All good, level-headed guitarists deserve respect.
My God, it's full of stars!
people who can shred think that people that cant suck at guitar. and theres always that one goth kid at a music store whaling away on scales with no rhyme or reason and pinch harmonic after pinch harmonic. i ****ING....HATE...THEM. they have no intention on buying anything, they just want to impress people.

overall, shredding does take practice and dedication so they get props for that, but shred meaningfully.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
It depends. If they study theory, and practice hours on end then yes I respect them. If they are among the so called shredders from sub par metal core band then no. I don't respect them as much.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I respect their technical abilities, but I don't respect their ability to be boring as ****. To me, original memorable songwriting trumps all. Course, I'm not very good guitarist so maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
No. I don't give respect to someone who can't write a song worth crap and instead starts sweeping up and down the neck over some drums.
sure, sweeping is hard to master but I only like it when it's used here and there.. I hate songs that are just constant shredding.. skill?
it takes skill to write a nice melodic solo.. not go up and down the fretboard really fast.

all I'm referring to is people who just constantly shred though..
but if you include people that like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai then I definatley respect them..

there's some people that can play fast and still make/ play other awesome stuff.
and other's that can't do anything but play fast.
like the song Arpeggios From Hell by Malmsteen.
yuck at that.

what I hate more is when people make speed as a reference to how good you are..
tons of people do this..
it's annoying really, like this one dude I know who can play really fast but really isn't that great at playing other stuff.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Jun 16, 2008,
No. To me, they sound like ****.

Doesn't mean I disrespect them, but them being able to shred has no bearing whatsoever on how good I consider them.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
I respect them because they've spent tons of time working on getting that fast, but I respect people who can play fast and still make it sound good even more.
I respect them if they are truly great and when they aren't pompus douche bags that put you down for not being as good. I have friend who are shred masters but they are great and are nice/teach me tricks.
good shredders are and should be respected

good shredders to me are good artists that can incorporated shred in there music when it fits

its about the music more then shredding

like satriani, vai, gilbert etc
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
It's not a matter of what you are able to do, it's what you do with what you are able to do.
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
Depends.
I was in this bluesman birthday, and there were tons of guitarists and we were jamming.
Among them, there was a guitarist that played for 30 years and shredded like a mother ****er.
Then there was a 50 something years old bluesman playing a squier.

I respected more the bluesman. However, I still respected a lot the another one.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

If they have that egotistical asshat personality, no. If they're humble and cool people, I respect them.
Quote by TechnicolorType
No. I don't give respect to someone who can't write a song worth crap and instead starts sweeping up and down the neck over some drums.
sure, sweeping is hard to master but I only like it when it's used here and there.. I hate songs that are just constant shredding.. skill
?
it takes skill to write a nice melodic solo.. not go up and down the fretboard really fast.

all I'm referring to is people who just constantly shred though..
but if you include people that like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai then I definatley respect them..

there's some people that can play fast and still make/ play other awesome stuff.
and other's that can't do anything but play fast.
like the song Arpeggios From Hell by Malmsteen.
yuck at that.

what I hate more is when people make speed as a reference to how good you are..
tons of people do this..
it's annoying really, like this one dude I know who can play really fast but really isn't that great at playing other stuff.

1. Whether you like it or not, can you just respect the player? I don't like FOB, but I respect them because they've made so much money.

2. And it DOESN'T take skill to go up and down the fretboard fast?

3. Because crappy noob guitarists can immediately play fast so speed doesn't show how good you are.

Now kindly piss off
As electric guitarists? I respect them, relatively speaking.

As composers? I've never really been impressed by compositions featuring shredding.
I think everybody has a different idea of what the term 'shred' is supposed to mean. The people who say they hate it think what it means by definition is pure wankery, and the people who say they love it think it means technical ability to play and compose musical pieces. I used to use the word to describe the latter and the term 'wankery' to describe the former but way too many people get the wrong idea when I say shred so I'm sick of using it.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Personally, it's hard to respect shredders when great jazz guitarists exist.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I don't respect them at all. I view shredding as an exercise in vanity rather than one in actual musicianship.
yes, not people like dragonforce who pretend to play fast but MAB/yngwie who can and makle it sound good.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
1. Whether you like it or not, can you just respect the player? I don't like FOB, but I respect them because they've made so much money.

2. And it DOESN'T take skill to go up and down the fretboard fast?

3. Because crappy noob guitarists can immediately play fast so speed doesn't show how good you are.

Now kindly piss off

Of course it takes skill but speed isn't a count of how good you are at guitar.
There's many people who play much slower stuff and are seen as much better guitarists then others who make music that sounds like this "sofkasdofkdasokfasdofksdoafkasdfko"

You sound like one of those people who just suck and can't play anything worth crap so just shred away.

Lame.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Jun 16, 2008,
If they can make music out of the shred, then yes. If all they do is run scales, then no.
You can shred and not be good, but you can be good and not shred (Or you could shred and be good ).
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Don't get me wrong, if it's reference to people who do more then just play extremely fast then it's fine.

But my point is I'd rather listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fPv450OYM
over this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4

and if someone had never heard of either of those and automatically said "wow malmsteen is way better" then there another one of those annoying morons who thinks the faster you are the better you are at guitar overall, even if they can't do anything.

like I said not talking about the players, just making an example.. I know malmsteen does more then that

But since he's actually good at guitar I'd give more respect.. haven't really been referring to people who are good..

more like these people I know in real life who think they're really good when all they can do is play extremely fast.. can't keep a beat worth crap and things like that.

but if someone can fit shred into their music here and there and not just do it constantly then it's fine. :O
Yes, the good ones are. If some talks **** about John Petrucci or someone of his level, they are just jealous.
Quote by spartan 118
If they can make music out of the shred, then yes. If all they do is run scales, then no.
You can shred and not be good, but you can be good and not shred (Or you could shred and be good ).

This guy basically put my extremely long posts into a tiny one.

This sums it.
Page 1 of 3