Page 1 of 2
Okay, I'm going to buy a new Amp here soon and I'd like to get a head/cabinet or a stack if at all possible (due to laziness), and I want one WITH OUT EFFECTS, I fully intend on getting a Digitek multieffects foot pedal (if anyone has a suggestion on this I'd be glad to hear it). I know what I'm doing here too, but it's just so damn hard to find an amp WITH OUT EFFECTS places. I'd much rather just get my own effects switches and just do it all that way. I love Orange amps and the only place where I can find them is smaller guitar stores, and I feel guilty about playing their guitars because I know they don't have an on line guitar store to subsidize kids coming in and ****ing up their guitars (GC, I'm looking at you here)...does Orange exclusively deal with smaller stores? Or can I find a larger place where I can test it out, then of course buy it at the cheapest place I can find it. My taste in music is very eclectic, and I'd like to keep the price under two grand, but if it's REALLY worth it I'd go more. Lately I've been looking at amps like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-JSX-HalfStack?sku=485057

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-20W-Full-Stack-Guitar-Amp?sku=481614

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Half-Stack?sku=485058

REMOVED DUE TO HUGE MISTAKE DUE TO LARGE WORK LOADS

Thought that this was Hammets sig head, but less powerful...my bad

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-HalfStack?sku=485056

to a lesser extent this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269

I realize, those are all stacks, although if someone would like to recommend a head/cabinet combo I'm all ears.

PS: I'm also taking suggestions on a multieffects pedal.
Last edited by <3 Herman <3 at Jun 16, 2008,
A stack without effects?? wtf. never heard of one. SO since you probably wont ever need a damn stack anytime soon, Im gonna suggest what ive suggested 567 times before. GET a kick ass tube amp combo with lots of head room and all that will have for effects is maybe 2 channels great reverb and nice natural overdrive and then your pedal will set you up.
Have a nice day.

Out of all your looking at the only decent ones are the JSX and the peavey triple XXX the other are garbage and a tube combo will serve you better.

EDIT: wow a jun 08er who just registered and loves herman li im guessing, get a little more knowledge before asking these questions.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Last edited by LaGrange at Jun 16, 2008,
Don't buy anything solid state please, and remove the Marshall MG100 from that list, because it is pure filth in amplifier form.
ive got a digitech rp250 multi effects pedal and i like it, but i dont really use it for the effects, i just use it to get a decent tone cause my amp is ****ty and not even a really ****in amp company, its some generic piece of ****

tbh i dont really like any of the effects on it, i use the delay, chorus (for the solo to what it takes by aerosmith) and the wah, and thats about it

i have nothing to say about the amps, im a poor poor bastard without enough money for a decent practice amp, let alone a stack
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
yep i second all of what LaGrange said.

And your amp choices go from 600$-2000. thats a pretty varied budget.

and definitely dont get the digitech multifx pedal, it sucks.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
When did Kirk Hammett get a sig amp?

Most of these amps handle just metal. If your big on the multi effects thing, and you actually need a half stack that is versatile under 2 grand, get a colorless/tonless solid state power amp and aline 6 floor POD. If you don;t need that kind of volume, There are alot of great tube amps out there that will not blow the roof off your house.
Best option would be to look for a used or low price Orange/Engl/Soldano/Mesa Boogie, those combined with an overdrive, they're probably the most versatile.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
When you say "without effects", do you mean you'll be running the multi- fx's amp models/ distortion through the amp's clean channel? If so... bad idea.

Out of the ones you posted, the JSX head + an Avatar cab with V30's would probably be the best- sounding in general... what genre do you play?
Go for the JSX stack or combo, their amazing amps. I absolutely love mine.
I have a VK212 and a TSL100, and the JSX beats them both.
I'd stay away from the Randall amps, and DO NOT get an MG!
Not only do they have built-in effects, but they sound horribly bad IMO.
Quote by LaGrange
A stack without effects??

Not necessarily lacking effects, I'm just sick of whenever I go to buy an amp the salesman lists all these effects. As far as effects go, just something like overdrive, reverb, and stuff like that on the amp. I also hate the amps that are more concentrated on the effects than the speaker/tube/electronics quality.

SO since you probably wont ever need a damn stack anytime soon,

Actually I do kinda need one.

Im gonna suggest what ive suggested 567 times before. GET a kick ass tube amp combo with lots of head room and all that will have for effects is maybe 2 channels great reverb and nice natural overdrive and then your pedal will set you up.

Yeah I'm looking for something like that, except I want something HUGE with lots of power. Suggestions plz!
Quote by HeartInACage

And your amp choices go from 600$-2000. thats a pretty varied budget.

Well I'm trying to keep it under 2K, but yeah...I was just trying to give you an idea as to what I'm looking at.

and definitely dont get the digitech multifx pedal, it sucks.

I've heard varying opinions on this, what is your beef with it and what would you buy?
you could also try looking into Bugera. and peavey 5150/6505 have a great reputation. with that budget you could easily get a great tube combo and then a bunch of nice pedals instead of the multi-fx.

EDIT: in light of the post i just saw where you need something big, get an ENGL or maybe a Marshall JCM...
Why do you need lots of power? Are you playing arenas?
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
When did Kirk Hammett get a sig amp?

He's had one for a while.

Most of these amps handle just metal. If your big on the multi effects thing, and you actually need a half stack that is versatile under 2 grand, get a colorless/tonless solid state power amp and aline 6 floor POD. If you don;t need that kind of volume, There are alot of great tube amps out there that will not blow the roof off your house.
Best option would be to look for a used or low price Orange/Engl/Soldano/Mesa Boogie, those combined with an overdrive, they're probably the most versatile.

Thanks...also to the rest of the board, I'm dropping two grand on something and when I drop this kind of cash I like to get a wide variety of opinions, so bear with me.
Last edited by <3 Herman <3 at Jun 16, 2008,
well f*ck a doodle doo, did you just list the Kirk hammett Sig and MG halfstack in there?!

those aren't even tube and you've made it pretty clear you want tube...nothing you listed there looks too good save the two higher end stacks.

you should just get a 50 watt combo. what's your styles? i assume metal. if nothing else, get a 5150 combo (120 watts?) or 6150 combo if all you play is metal. then you can buy a chorus and reverb pedal to liven up that sterile clean channel. that's bang for your buck..

and yea, i mean USED.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by AthenasGhost
Why do you need lots of power?

BECAUSE I ****ING WANT IT THAT'S WHY

Are you playing arenas?

College student, basically outdoor venues, sorority houses, fields, etc. I'm going to play this show in a big ass parking lot, and they expect about 2K-3K people (free show) in April...so yeah, I needs the power.
haha you're not too smart if you buy a stack 'just cuz i want the powerzzz!!'. you'll break your back lugging it everywhere and never get to crank it. i got the cops called on me jamming some metal w/ friends on my RM50 (50 watts) at half volume w/ an OD pedal. if that show is anything remotely organized, it'll have a PA system so you can mic up your amp.

don't be dumb. buying a halfstack for one big show is stupid. buying it for MANY is not too dumb...but still unecessary. get a 50 watt tube amp and enjoy being able to crank it.

but hey...whadda i know?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by rok-en-rol
Go for the JSX stack or combo, their amazing amps. I absolutely love mine.
I have a VK212 and a TSL100, and the JSX beats them both.

I've played one, it is pretty amazing, that's why I listed it first That and I wanted everyone to just pick that one so I can somehow justify dropping 2K on an amp and five hundred or so on effects

I'd stay away from the Randall amps, and DO NOT get an MG!

Why do you dislike Randall? Also I did NOT realize that I listed the MG

Not only do they have built-in effects, but they sound horribly bad IMO.

I guess I should have specified that I don't want one strictly WITH OUT effects, but I don't want one for the effects...you make these mistakes when you've just worked a 12 hour day and work 70 hours a week.
randall makes great amps. most companies have one or two models that don't do the name justice, it's called practice amps.

anyway, the best Randall models period are the MTS line. ALL TUBE. VERSATILE AS HELL.

get readin on them, they'll be the last amp you buy for a while.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
haha you're not too smart if you buy a stack 'just cuz i want the powerzzz!!'. you'll break your back lugging it everywhere and never get to crank it.

The biggest problem I have here is the "break my back" I'm actually pretty damn strong...I used to move around housing materials a year ago. So the weight isn't an issue, I can carry anything.

i got the cops called on me jamming some metal w/ friends on my RM50 (50 watts) at half volume w/ an OD pedal. if that show is anything remotely organized, it'll have a PA system so you can mic up your amp.

I'm a college students, the cops never get called on me.

don't be dumb. buying a halfstack for one big show is stupid. buying it for MANY is not too dumb...but still unecessary. get a 50 watt tube amp and enjoy being able to crank it.

HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I USE REASON! But yeah, where I live I can crank it as loud as I want to and no one will complain...hell I'd get extra visitors. However, I am reconsidering the stack now.
OP, what music do you play?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by slash_rocks2005
well f*ck a doodle doo, did you just list the Kirk hammett Sig and MG halfstack in there?!

In all fairness to me, the Hammet sig HEAD has tubes:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-RM100KH-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481695

The MG was a mistake and I should have known.

those aren't even tube and you've made it pretty clear you want tube...nothing you listed there looks too good save the two higher end stacks.

I addressed this earlier.

you should just get a 50 watt combo. what's your styles?

I have a combo, looking for more. Styles are:

Metal (all kinds)
Rock
Indie

i assume metal. if nothing else, get a 5150 combo (120 watts?) or 6150 combo if all you play is metal. then you can buy a chorus and reverb pedal to liven up that sterile clean channel. that's bang for your buck..

and yea, i mean USED.

Where do you buy your used gear? Craigslist? Ebay?
please do reconsider. not being cocky, but i am quite strong myself. plenty of lifting construction materials (heavy ass wood and tools LMAO) throughout the past few years. plenty of weightlifting to stay in shape. but just carrying my 50 watt Randall can be backbreaking. you gotta remember, when you're carrying your huge halfstack, you can't carry it in front of you w/ both hands, you gotta use one hand by the handle. that WILL strain your body. and if you decide to roll it on some kind of mobile device, well that's more stuff added to your transportation.

yea, the stuff will bug you MOSTLY b/c of this (as it would anyone like me):

gotta friend who wants to jam BUT he can't leave his place for some reason, HAS to be at his place. you're too lazy to haul ur halfstack out to your vehicle along w/ your guitar case and pedal(s)/pedalboard b/c you'll only be jamming for an hour or so and then coming right back. that's a lotta work for a little jammin.

i like to be able to just load my stuff in my vehicle within a matter of a few minutes. and if you have a car, you can easily fit a combo into that w/ all ur guitar stuff. if you have a stack, however, you NEED something bigger than a car to carry everything.

hey man, i just want for you to not regret getting a halfstack. also hate for you to have exactly what i described happen. Combos are so much more convenient.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
if that show is anything remotely organized, it'll have a PA system so you can mic up your amp.

but hey...whadda i know?

+1. They probably will have a PA. If not, I hope you guys have one. Mic your amp. And 50 watts tube is loud. 100 watts would be even better if you want the head room.

I didn't notice you listed your genres...
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Last edited by leondb at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by <3 Herman <3
In all fairness to me, the Hammet sig HEAD has tubes:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-RM100KH-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481695

The MG was a mistake and I should have known.

I addressed this earlier.

I have a combo, looking for more. Styles are:

Metal (all kinds)
Rock
Indie

Where do you buy your used gear? Craigslist? Ebay?

Craigslist's pretty great, since you can try before you buy and haggle... but you can get damn good deals on eBay.

Sounds like a Mesa Mark IV (or, if it comes out soon, the Mark V) would be great for you, as would a lot of Mesa heads... look around.

Oh, and what kind of combo do you have now? A 50W combo's just as loud as a 50W head, it's just that a 4x12 moves more air than a 2x12.
Quote by LaGrange

EDIT: wow a jun 08er who just registered and loves herman li im guessing, get a little more knowledge before asking these questions.

Actually, I know what I'm talking about...and seeing as how I have a background in sound engineering and actually know what's going on inside these amps I would suggest you not make smart ass insults before you know who you are insulting.
oh, and that kirk hamett head, is one of those fantastic amps that i recommended. the randall MTS line!!

but DON'T get his sig head, just get an RM50 and get the XLC module and the 'clean' module if you want a clean channel, otherwise a Recto module would make an EXCELLENT alternate distortion sound!!!

want 'more'? trust me, a high end combo will be WAYYY more than an ok halfstack. the MTS line by randall is GREAT, you're at least looking in the right area! though i'm biased as i own one. they don't have any effects other than EQing and presence knob and master. you wont be sorry if you get one i GUARANTEE IT.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by leondb
+1. They probably will have a PA. If not, I hope you guys have one. Mic your amp. And 50 watts tube is loud. 100 watts would be even better if you want the head room.

Well it's ran by business majors, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

BTW, you still haven't answered the question, what genre is your band playing? Metal? Classic rock? Reggae? Your genre will greatly help with the suggestions.

For that show, we will be playing punkish stuff, it is for college students.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
please do reconsider. not being cocky, but i am quite strong myself. plenty of lifting construction materials (heavy ass wood and tools LMAO) throughout the past few years. plenty of weightlifting to stay in shape. but just carrying my 50 watt Randall can be backbreaking. you gotta remember, when you're carrying your huge halfstack, you can't carry it in front of you w/ both hands, you gotta use one hand by the handle. that WILL strain your body. and if you decide to roll it on some kind of mobile device, well that's more stuff added to your transportation.

Not convinced.

yea, the stuff will bug you MOSTLY b/c of this (as it would anyone like me):

gotta friend who wants to jam BUT he can't leave his place for some reason, HAS to be at his place. you're too lazy to haul ur halfstack out to your vehicle along w/ your guitar case and pedal(s)/pedalboard b/c you'll only be jamming for an hour or so and then coming right back. that's a lotta work for a little jammin.

You son of a bitch...you got me. This isn't primary amp, I have others...but I see your point.

hey man, i just want for you to not regret getting a halfstack. also hate for you to have exactly what i described happen. Combos are so much more convenient.

Thanks, and I appreciate your politeness about the subject.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Craigslist's pretty great, since you can try before you buy and haggle

That's easily the best part about Craigslist, because by the time someone has a listing on it they're so desperate they'll practically give it away.
I got a 100 watt valveking combo. When I run a hk warp factor
through it...i cant even get it up to 2 without disturbing my neighbors
in my apartment building...

If you want a stack thats fine...But a decent tube combo
beats a thrown together SS stack anyday. If you are really set
on that half stack there are options..

Get a tube combo and run it through a cab until u have enough
money to get a good head for it. The guys here are just tryin to
save you money..It sucks to look back and see that in two years
you outgrew over $1500 in gear..make u wish you would have just
saved up for that stack that was too expensive.

We all know. A hard lesson makes the best teacher..lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 16, 2008,
Combos are much more convinient? I think I'd rather carry an amp and cab seperately, rather than carrying a 140 pound 2x12 combo.

And really, do you need the 4x12 cabinet?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by slash_rocks2005
oh, and that kirk hamett head, is one of those fantastic amps that i recommended. the randall MTS line!!

I know, I listed the Hammett stack, because I though they used that head. I don't know why the sub-1500 dollar price tag didn't throw me off.

want 'more'? trust me, a high end combo will be WAYYY more than an ok halfstack. the MTS line by randall is GREAT, you're at least looking in the right area! though i'm biased as i own one. they don't have any effects other than EQing and presence knob and master. you wont be sorry if you get one i GUARANTEE IT.

Yeah...more and more I'm starting to lean towards not getting the stack or head and cab.
^hey, don't be like that neptune guy....we all suggested the best bang for his buck and turned around and bought a f*ckin' fender frontman even after we gave him GREAT reasoning. you at least are listening to what we're all saying thank goodness.

the jamming w/ friends reasoning is probably the biggest reason why i won't own a halfstack (other than my blackheart mini stack-easy as a combo to carry to the car) for a LONG time. it will annoy the HELL outta you i guarantee it.

the best way to see if you'd really hate having a halfstack after a while, though, is through owning it. but by the time you finally say 'hey, this aint worth it' it's value will have dropped a whole lot. not to mention, look at all the 'need amp suggestions' threads on here, almost half are from people who have bought half stacks and always mention "i can never take the volume past 2..."

hopefully that'll be more food for thought. i sure as heck wouldn't buy a halfstack unless it WAS my main and MOST PLAYED amp.

i'll be headin to bed soon, but i'll keep updated on your thread and see how your process of elimination goes. but beware, i'll be anti-halfstack!! lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by <3 Herman <3
That's easily the best part about Craigslist, because by the time someone has a listing on it they're so desperate they'll practically give it away.

Been there, done that, got a t-shirt. I hate getting low balled when I post a price, we talk about it, then when I meet up with the buyer and they ask if I'd take less.

If you can find a used Mark IV, do it! Even the JSX. I knew a guy who had one... it was nice. Again, I'd look into a combo in your situation!
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
definitely look into MTS amps (all the models start with RM) by Randall and try them out if you can!! i think the best modules for you would be 'Clean' and "recto'. that's what i use. i can dial in ANY type of style on the recto module, VERY flexible. very convincing AC/DC and GNR and goes all the way to heavy metal. throw an OD and it's got enough thickness and boost for extreme metal.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by leondb
Been there, done that, got a t-shirt. I hate getting low balled when I post a price, we talk about it, then when I meet up with the buyer and they ask if I'd take less.

Craigslist is a last resort. I'd start at eBay, facebook marketplace, and post pics at your local guitar store first.
Quote by <3 Herman <3
The biggest problem I have here is the "break my back" I'm actually pretty damn strong...I used to move around housing materials a year ago. So the weight isn't an issue, I can carry anything.

Have you ever tried lifting an half stack before? It's a little different than carrying around lumber and sacks of cement. Amps are much more awkward to carry than any construction materials that I can think of. Now, try carrying it up and down stairs, through doorways, and into and out of vehicles. Now, realize how silly you will look when you buy a gigantic amp for a single show and then up sucking anyways. A 2x12 tube combo amp will completely overpower a drummer with ease, so why would need to still put out more power? If drums are mic'd your amp should be able to be as well. DURRR.

Anyways, you seem set on your course so go knock yourself out!
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^hey, don't be like that neptune guy....we all suggested the best bang for his buck and turned around and bought a f*ckin' fender frontman even after we gave him GREAT reasoning. you at least are listening to what we're all saying thank goodness.

Yeah...I mean right now I'm just looking for suggestions, probably won't buy for a while.

the jamming w/ friends reasoning is probably the biggest reason why i won't own a halfstack (other than my blackheart mini stack-easy as a combo to carry to the car) for a LONG time. it will annoy the HELL outta you i guarantee it.

That and getting my dad to lone me his truck when I want to move it.

the best way to see if you'd really hate having a halfstack after a while, though, is through owning it. but by the time you finally say 'hey, this aint worth it' it's value will have dropped a whole lot. not to mention, look at all the 'need amp suggestions' threads on here, almost half are from people who have bought half stacks and always mention "i can never take the volume past 2..."

Well, like I said, noise in my apartment is not a problem. There are people who have pissed, literally pissed, in the elevators at my apartment and the landlord did not care. It is truly a lawless society, but there are other pains in the ass with owning a half stack.

hopefully that'll be more food for thought. i sure as heck wouldn't buy a halfstack unless it WAS my main and MOST PLAYED amp.

Point taken.

i'll be headin to bed soon, but i'll keep updated on your thread and see how your process of elimination goes. but beware, i'll be anti-halfstack!! lol.

I'm sure it'll be an epic saga with lots of changes. I remember when I was looking to buy a car a while back, I started looking at a Dodge Ram and ended up with a WRX. So if I take some weird ass turn, be prepared.
Page 1 of 2