i would like to condition the neck of my guitar but i'm worried if i take all the strings off at once if it will ruin the neck or anything?
the only thing that happens is the neck loses tension and loosens up a little bit so the truss rod may need adjusting afterwards but usually it should be fine.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Whenever I have to, I do it slowly.
Tune down one step, wait an hour, tune down again, etc...

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by GeoffreySmis
if you have a fender style bridge it my slightly move the string saddels

ohh man i did this on my nashville tele and one of the little screws in the saddels came out and got sucked in by my bridge pickup...ended up having to take the whole bridge off to get the damn thing out, it sucked....otherwise i dont see any problem with it, just dont keep them off for a long time
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
If you have a floyd rose it's probably not a good idea.

If you have a vintage trem it can get slightly annoying, but oh well.

If you leave your guitar without any tension on the neck for an extended period (i.e overnight or something) then the truss rod will need adjusting, because you could snap your neck when you put the strings back on.
If you are just changing strings, it'll be fine. Really. Honestly.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

If you leave your guitar without any tension on the neck for an extended period (i.e overnight or something) then the truss rod will need adjusting, because you could snap your neck when you put the strings back on.

Well, with a Floyd, you just get something to prevent the screws (what are they called again) from putting tension in the small section of wood, like placing a pencil there like a bridge.

I've left my guitar without strings for a week and the truss rod didn't need adjusting, the neck didn't snap either when I restrung.
Quote by jc71corvette
why not take 3 strings offf, clean, then repeat with the other 3 strings

+1
Why risk breaking your guitar?
you might end up moving the string saddles...other than that I think nothing will happen...just re-adjust them once you have new strings on by only tuning with your neck pick up, and comparing the open string note to the flageolet note (sp?)
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by JessicaGonzo
Why risk breaking your guitar?

If you are going to be paranoid, why take 3 strings off? The neck tension won't be balanced. Why risk warping your neck?
I usually tune down all my strings bringing each down little by little until they have no more tension on the neck and then take a wire cutter to them. Once they're off I put on some axe wax or lemon oil and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes, wipe and put a fresh set on. I've never had a problem with warping or had to do anything other than minor adjustments on the bridge. It would be wise to note though, I've never done this with any thru neck guitars so I can't speak for those.

Edit: and for the love of god, don't leave the strings off like overnight or something like that. I've always called an hour the absolute max.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Man I am so sick of people on this board telling people that the neck might break if you take the strings off. At first I thought people were joking, but I don't think that anymore.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Whenever I have to, I do it slowly.
Tune down one step, wait an hour, tune down again, etc...

+1

Just be gentle with it, and do things slowly. The worst that is likely to happen is that you'll have to give the truss rod a bit of an adjustment, which is no trouble. Don't worry about it.
Quote by plucky duck
arnt scandinavians all albino or am i mistaken? apologies if i am

Quote by cocodrilo83
logic is not always right
Quote by Grown
Man I am so sick of people on this board telling people that the neck might break if you take the strings off. At first I thought people were joking, but I don't think that anymore.

I guess that my Squier's neck didn't break because of that then. It was probably because I looked at it funny after I tightened the strings back up on it.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The neck won't warp unless you leave it that way for an extended period.

I know that. I was just pointing out that if you won't take all the strings off for three minutes because it "might" hurt, you might as well just string one at a time.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I guess that my Squier's neck didn't break because of that then. It was probably because I looked at it funny after I tightened the strings back up on it.

Or maybe it was because your Squire's neck was made out of cheap, sh*tty wood?

Renowned guitar techs will tell you that its fine to take them all off at once... however you may need to make some truss rod adjustments after putting the new strings on - like several people have stated already!

^Including me, as I was the one who said it first
Quote by Free to Guitar
If you are just changing strings, it'll be fine. Really. Honestly.

Yup. Thousands of guitar necks are hanging in factories and stores with out any tension. The worst that will happen is you'll need a small truss rod adjustment, and probably not even that.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
its fine. i just did it with my ibanez RG not too long ago. just make sure you block the bridge. however, i take my strings off on opposites. for instance, low E, then the high E, then the A, then the B, etc. be sure to detune them first till they are really slinky. don't just cut them while they are at full tension.

and +1 to the above. my guitar came string less and when the strings were put on all that was need was a small truss rod adjustment. SMALL.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Its probably cause you had a suck Squier....

You should be able to take all the strings off any guitar without any major issues. If your neck snaps, then you already had major issues long before the string change.

Detune. Wait a bit (5-10 min). Cut strings. Condition neck. Restring. Your git should be able to handle that no problem.