I just started to think about getting an amp head/cab but I honestly have no where to begin, and I don't want to be one of those people that just buy the most expensive/affordable things and run with it.

Let's say my price range is about $1500 which I know isn't great for getting a head/cab

I currently have an LP Studio with Alnico Pro IIs on it and a MIM Strat with texas specials

I'm trying to get something with a wide range that can create the best tone out of my guitars/hands. I don't expect to name a bunch of artists with great tone and end up with their tone magically but I'd at least like a setup that I can improve on with time.

where should I start looking?
A used JCM-2000 DSL and a used 1960A. I paid $700 for my DSL 50 and $400 for my 1960A.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
With 1500, you can do a lot. Especially if you buy used, but there are still good things to be had new in that range.

For example:

Head
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Special-100H-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481158

Cab
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/g212h%20special.htm
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
thanks guys, I'm looking into these heads and the avatar cabs seem really cool.

btw, do any of you know any sites that sell used heads or cheap heads in general and ships to NY?

because I'm not sure if my parents'd be cool with me buying off of ebay or using paypal with large amounts of money
The 1960a is probably the most popular cab on the used market. They're great cabs and they normally go for $400 or less in great condition.

Craigslist is the best way to buy and sell gear locally, by the way. You can meet in person and completely test the gear.

Avatar cabs are really nice as well. I would like to get one in the future. I bought my cabs before Avatar was around, but if they were around then I would of definitely gone with them.

You can find single rectifiers/rect-o-verbs for under $1000 used. Also consider a JCM900, if you like Marshall. I see these go for under $700 every day.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Skidz34
thanks guys, I'm looking into these heads and the avatar cabs seem really cool.

btw, do any of you know any sites that sell used heads or cheap heads in general and ships to NY?

because I'm not sure if my parents'd be cool with me buying off of ebay or using paypal with large amounts of money

Daddys.com = Used gear chain in the Northeast. I ordered an amp from there (one of the stores in Mass. and it shipped to NC in 5 days despite a blizzard
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Why do you want a head and cab? You could get a great combo for that price...Also what specific styles of music do you have in mind>
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Skidz34
I just started to think about getting an amp head/cab but I honestly have no where to begin, and I don't want to be one of those people that just buy the most expensive/affordable things and run with it.

Let's say my price range is about $1500 which I know isn't great for getting a head/cab

I currently have an LP Studio with Alnico Pro IIs on it and a MIM Strat with texas specials

I'm trying to get something with a wide range that can create the best tone out of my guitars/hands. I don't expect to name a bunch of artists with great tone and end up with their tone magically but I'd at least like a setup that I can improve on with time.

Mesa mark IV, combo or head, your set!!!!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by Skidz34

In NYC? You should be looking on Craig's List!

Without listing and bands or genres, it's tough to get any more specific than that. But a $1500 budget on the used market should be able to land you something really nice.

But there's this, this, and this on there right now. A lot more stuff, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yeah I've been checking Craigslist haha I just don't want to go too far for something so checking the Bronx and Manhattan for stuff isn't very easy.

what combos would you recommend if you think looking for a head/cab isn't the best idea? I'm open to most suggestions.

I'll definitely check out the stuff listed above by tomorrow.

I guess I'm trying to get a good hard rock tone out of my LP kinda like the harder GN'R stuff (My Michelle, Garden of Eden), that allows me to play leads/solos without hurting anyone's ears. And a kind of indie tone out of my Strat (from The Strokes to Vampire Weekend)
check out Ceriatone.com for clones of lots of famous vintage amps.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Skidz34
what combos would you recommend if you think looking for a head/cab isn't the best idea? I'm open to most suggestions.

That's my general advice sig, but being that you asked...

Quote by Skidz34
I guess I'm trying to get a good hard rock tone out of my LP kinda like the harder GN'R stuff (My Michelle, Garden of Eden), that allows me to play leads/solos without hurting anyone's ears. And a kind of indie tone out of my Strat (from The Strokes to Vampire Weekend)

I think you're a great candidate for an Orange Rocker 30. The new Blackstar 30 is a little over your budget, but a real nice choice as well.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.