Poll: Which would be the fastest?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would be the fastest?
Satellite
4 17%
Verizon Anywhere Broadband
8 33%
just keep dial-up
0 0%
other
12 50%
Voters: 24.
Well finally after all these years my parents have finally decided to not cheap out anymore on dial-up! Unfortunately, DSL and cable are not available in my area. Anyways, would satellite internet (AT&T ) or Verizon (the kind where you can get on anywhere) be the best for us? Can you play games (not internet but like XBOX and Wii) on it?

Thanx
Brawl Anyone?: Click HERE!!!

Like Mario Kart WiFi? Need help finding friends? Click here
Quote by !normajean!
welcome to the real world.
i DO have high speed.....but my brother has been looking up some "bad" things for a while now and well....its not so high speed anymore.

funniest thing i've heard today

Satellite internet is not near the speed of broadband or cable.

You DEFINITELY can't play LIVE on a satellite connection

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by bobthesgman
Well finally after all these years my parents have finally decided to not cheap out anymore on dial-up! Unfortunately, DSL and cable are not available in my area. Anyways, would satellite internet (AT&T ) or Verizon (the kind where you can get on anywhere) be the best for us? Can you play games (not internet but like XBOX and Wii) on it?

Thanx

Xbox Live and Wii online games are no different from online computer games. It will still take the same speeds. You wont get that kind of speed on a wireless connection.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
How much do you currently pay per month for dial-up? How long does it take for webpages to load for you? How about for sites with streaming video like Youtube?

I went broadband like 8 years ago--I can't imagine what it would be like going back to dial-up.

In terms of figuring which is best, I'd check out the ratings and reviews for ISPs in your area at www.broadbandreports.com
Quote by .arkness:.
Xbox Live and Wii online games are no different from online computer games. It will still take the same speeds. You wont get that kind of speed on a wireless connection.

So, no go for satellite or Verizon?

Quote by bobthesgman
So, no go for satellite or Verizon?

In terms of online gaming? No.

I'm not even sure if those consoles technically support those type of connections. Even if they did, on a connection that is not up to par with Cable/DSL speeds, things would probably be VERY laggy and unplayable.
Quote by Negative Burn
In terms of online gaming? No.

I'm not even sure if those consoles technically support those type of connections. Even if they did, on a connection that is not up to par with Cable/DSL speeds, things would probably be VERY laggy and unplayable.

Even if we did have the fastest speed available?

And does anyone know about FiOS? I'm a bit confused of what it is

I was going to recommend DSL, but I see you can't get it. That's too bad, although you might want to find out if they're planning to make DSL available in your area.
and this moment keeps on movin'
we were never meant to hold on.
FiOS is (i'm going to be captain obvious here) is fiber optics and i would never get it because its known for setting houses on fire
Cable.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by bobthesgman
Even if we did have the fastest speed available?

And does anyone know about FiOS? I'm a bit confused of what it is

Connection speed isn't what you are looking for if you are gaming. With satellite, the signal has to go way out into space and back. You will have very high latency and it will be unplayable.
Quote by Acoustic_
I was going to recommend DSL, but I see you can't get it. That's too bad, although you might want to find out if they're planning to make DSL available in your area.

actually it is, literally a quarter mile either way down my road
but for some odd reason we can't get it

time to hijack an AT&T truck. . .