I realized vox came out with this new tube amp that theyre calling the vox classic plus or something, and its a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the custom classic 30W amp.
i was wondering what exactly they made different about this amp, and which one was better.

here are the links to the amps i'm talking about:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30CC2-30W-2x12-Custom-Classic-Combo?sku=482620

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Classic-Plus-Series-AC50CP2-50w-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481037
More gain on the drive channel of the Classic Plus and it's 50 watt instead of 30 watt. Probably slightly differently voiced too.
They're very different. The AC30CC (first one) is a very classic amp design. AC30s have been around since the early 60s.
The second one is a much newer design, and is an attempt at an AC30 channel plus a higher gain channel. I didn't like it very much, since the AC30 channel was not quite as good as a real AC30 and the second channel was just too thin.
The AC30 is a tried and true amp, the Classic plus is ironically not a classic.
Quote by Weybl Himself
More gain on the drive channel of the Classic Plus and it's 50 watt instead of 30 watt. Probably slightly differently voiced too.

yeah i gathered that much from reading the little bit that musiciansfriend had, but i was curious about why a 50W amp that is supposed to be more versatile is $300 cheaper than the AC30..or is it simply because the AC30 is a classic?

i was only curious because i've played the AC30 in GC before and i loved it, but my only complaint has been that it cant seem to handle very much distortion without an OD pedal. i was wondering if this amp entirely fixed that problem, or if there was a loss of quality in the process.

EDIT:
Quote by Roc8995
They're very different. The AC30CC (first one) is a very classic amp design. AC30s have been around since the early 60s.
The second one is a much newer design, and is an attempt at an AC30 channel plus a higher gain channel. I didn't like it very much, since the AC30 channel was not quite as good as a real AC30 and the second channel was just too thin.
The AC30 is a tried and true amp, the Classic plus is ironically not a classic.

so would you recommend to get the AC30 with an OD pedal, as opposed to the classic plus?
Last edited by ronsonol004 at Jun 16, 2008,
An AC30 with an OD is definitely a good idea, assuming you're not going to try to play death metal with it.
haha no i wont. the hardest i will ever go is metallica, and even that is a rare occasion. i usually stick to led zeppelin, floyd, the beatles, and other blues or classic rock bands.

thanks a ton you guys.