Hello,

never wandered into this part of the forums, but I have been wanting to get a bass for a while now to record along with my drum tracks and guitar and also to help complete songs with my band who is still looking for a permanent bassist.

I am looking for something cheap and good. I don't know anything about bass pickups, tuning stability, and how the tonewood affects the...tone. So help me out!

I was thinking something like a Squier starter? Or should I just get something like an Epiphone SG bass or something?

Don't really want to spend more than $2-$300 as this isn't for playing with it full time. Thanks!
High as tits
Ibanez GSR200 is the one I have, and really, it's a great starting bass, just raise the strings a little.
Quote by watchingmefall
Get the FAQ, they are awesome.

+1. And remember than unles will only be playing the bass unamplified or direct into the recording system, you need a bass amp. A guitar amp will not do.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

i suggest getting an ibanez gsr200. it's a great bass for a good price
Gear
----------
2003 MIM Jazz Bass w/ Bartolinis and a BAII bridge
2005 Ibanez GSR200
Peavey TNT 115 200 watt bass amplifier
Morley Bass Wah Pedal
What about the Agathis body? I know Agathis is looked down upon in the guitar community.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
What about the Agathis body? I know Agathis is looked down upon in the guitar community.
It's generally considered "not bad"

As you've probably seen in the FAQ, avoid Epiphone basses. Ibanez and Squier are probably the best starters. If you're used to skinny guitar necks, you'll probably find a Jazz bass or an Ibanez SR the most comfortable.