I've been playing guitar almost 4 years now. I know my theory, and more than enough patterns to give me something to practice. I practice pretty much every day, with a metronome. I've been stuck in a vicious cycle where I will start practicing at a good speed so I will notice exactly what my hands are doing, but once I stay on a higher but still managable speed for a couple of days, my hands slowly seem to lose all knowledge of technique. I end up having to start my whole routine over at an even slower tempo, because even at the tempo I started at, it still seems difficult. I've been more than frustrated for the better part of a year now. I feel like I'm getting progressively worse. I would appreciate any comments or help.
Take a break dude. Seriously. I Promise you if you take a break for a short time it'll do you wonders. Have you ever tried learning a lick and couldn't get it down to good, so you get frustrated and leave, then come back and you find that you can play it BETTER without the practice? It's weird, but I'm sure it's happened to you at some point. Just try to give it a rest and see what it does for ya.
It's just whatever, most of the time.

Gear:

PRS SE Custom
Ibanez RG7321 7-string
Custom Built All-parts Strat
Boss ME-50
Morley Bad Horsie
Boss PH-2
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-7
Peavey 6505+
Yeah, I used to play guitar sooo much.
After 8 months, I got carried away with like Hardstyle and all that techno dance ****.
I was also stuck in a rut at that time, frustrated with my playing.
The guitar was left, dusty and longing for me for 4 months.
When I picked it back up, I was better and more coordinated, nowhere near as fast but I was still good.
I'm playing guitar again, more motivated than ever.
So it might not be 4 months that you need, but just take a little break.
Quote by lithiumftw
i am actually lolling right now!!! lmao!

After 1 and a half long years, someone laughed at one of my posts.

F*CK YEAH
i agree that a small break would do you good. If you dont want to do that, just forget excercises for a while, play what you just feel like playing. atleast for me, the motivation for playing excercises comes from playing songs, composing your own stuff, and wishing to get better at those. From actually playing music i get the motivation that hey, i want to get better. for example i dont play chromatic scales in order to play them at 200 bpm but in order to strengthen my fingers.
and yes, take a small break!
yeah sometimes breaks can help. i know they did for me. but never have too long breaks. not 4 months like the other guy lol. couple days.. a week perhaps. just relax for a while
You guys are probably right. You guys are definitely right actually. I have kind of been over-doing it. Thanks
Stop worrying about speed and worry about the other aspects of your playing - speed tends to take care of itself.

Playing fast isn't important, playing WELL is. If you can play well and play fast then so much the better, but worry about getting things sounding good before getting them fast.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ damn straight. Also, take a break. If you can't play faster, don't for a few months

ED: by which i mean, don't play FAST for a few months. Whoops...
Last edited by Freepower at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Stop worrying about speed and worry about the other aspects of your playing - speed tends to take care of itself.

Playing fast isn't important, playing WELL is. If you can play well and play fast then so much the better, but worry about getting things sounding good before getting them fast.

Well said.
you don't need a break, you need a different interest. Try looking at different styles instead of practices, train your ears instead of your hands. When you look back at it you'll notice that your speed and precision has increased without you even noticing and that is very satisfying.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club