Hello!

Just wondering if you guys could help me. Basically im looking for the ultimate Trash sounding amp, only really need one channel as the clean and crunch will be covered by my other amps. So i want something that EXCELS in Metallica style riffage, heavier Muse tones and just good leads (as in I havn't found a high gain lead tone from anyone that is "the sound in my head"). I will be using it along side a Metro amp 67 plexi for that "two amp" sound that metallica had on Master of Puppets and Justice album. I am aware that both Metallica and Muse have used Diezel Vh4's, but i dont think i wanna spend $6000au on an amp im only gunna use for one thing.. So i'm thinking along the lines of the Mako Dorado, Splawn Nitro, Voodoo amps modded Dual Recto, Elmwood Modena or Mesa Mark IIc+.. Pricing is not really an issue buit like i said, i dont wanna spend 6 grand on an amp i use for one sound. Preferably companies that dont have dealers in Aus cos they jack up their prices..
you DO mean "Thrash" right??

Pretty sure a Mesa Dual Recto will do you good, but they cost an unbelieveable amount here. Im not too sure, around 5k??
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
It really depends on the tone you're looking for.

Like an older metallica, slayer type thrash tone would sound best from a modded marshall, such as Splawn's quickrod, Marshall Kerry king sig, Modded JCM800, Orange Rockerverb, etc.

For newer metallica you might want to consider something more German/American sounding. Framus does a decent job at coming close to their tone, it's a bit dryer though. Engl builds some excellent sounding amps, very full toned, although not exactly metallica, but great toned. Dual rectifiers have been the main metallica tone from load to S&M. Garage inc was quite a bit of blending with wizards, which retail at $5000+ USD, probably about $9000AUD. You might want to look into Mark IV's if you're into the smoother metallica high gain tone, such as the Black Album and a few songs on load/reload. Fuel sounds very Tri-axis/Mark IV.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah, Thrash, i knew it was wrong but i couldn't think why.. I really didnt like the Stock Dual Recto I played and yes they go fo about $5000. And actually $5000USD is about $5100AUD, we just get ripped when we dont buy them dealer Dircect. Mark IVs cost as much as Diezel Herberts. I know exactly what amps Metallica and Muse have used. I'm more asking if you know of any Smaller companies that dont have dealers in AUS that make amps with great Thrash Metal sound. By the way just about everything post Ride the lightning was a mixture of Marshalls and Mesa's. And i HATE Slayer.
Quote by nirvallica
Yeah, Thrash, i knew it was wrong but i couldn't think why.. I really didnt like the Stock Dual Recto I played and yes they go fo about $5000. And actually $5000USD is about $5100AUD, we just get ripped when we dont buy them dealer Dircect. Mark IVs cost as much as Diezel Herberts. I know exactly what amps Metallica and Muse have used. I'm more asking if you know of any Smaller companies that dont have dealers in AUS that make amps with great Thrash Metal sound. By the way just about everything post Ride the lightning was a mixture of Marshalls and Mesa's. And i HATE Slayer.

You HATE Slayer, yet you want a tHrash metal amp. Paradox. They're like the best known thrash out there. Muse? wtf, they don't have thrash tone at all.

Why not try some Marshalls, Mesas, Peaveys, ENGLs and whatnot.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Quote by BeëlzeM
You HATE Slayer, yet you want a tHrash metal amp. Paradox. They're like the best known thrash out there. Muse? wtf, they don't have thrash tone at all.

Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
I think a Peavey 5150 or a Marshall JCM 800 would fit nicely. Most old thrash bands used those (incl Kreator, Destruction, ...)
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by BeëlzeM
You HATE Slayer, yet you want a tHrash metal amp. Paradox. They're like the best known thrash out there.

I hate Slayer, yet thrash is one of my favorite genres and I'm in a thrash band. I just thinking Slayer is a little obnoxious, unlike the awesome melodic riffs of Metallica, Anthrax, etc. I do like Slayer's energy though.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Whether you hate Slayer or not (I think they still f*cking rule, but alas), you really should check out the Marshall JCM 800 2203 KK (Kerry King signature). It is a hot rodded JCM 800 with more features and it really will get you the thrash sound.
Look, i hate slayers tone. I want a Thrash metal amp cos thats the sound i like, not the music i intend on playing. I'm not asking for you to recommend me name brand amps that cos triple in AUS what they do in the US, i'm asking for smaller companies that you wouldn't think have dealers in AUS. I've tried most of the amps we get in stores out here, i've done my homework and I know what im looking for. As for Muse, Matt used a VH4 for Absolution, it may not sound Thrash-y but it gets that tight, heavish overdrive i want.
Quote by nirvallica
Look, i hate slayers tone. I want a Thrash metal amp cos thats the sound i like, not the music i intend on playing. I'm not asking for you to recommend me name brand amps that cos triple in AUS what they do in the US, i'm asking for smaller companies that you wouldn't think have dealers in AUS. I've tried most of the amps we get in stores out here, i've done my homework and I know what im looking for. As for Muse, Matt used a VH4 for Absolution, it may not sound Thrash-y but it gets that tight, heavish overdrive i want.

the kerry king jcm800 is the way to go whether you like it or not. i am pretty sure it is in your price range.
So i should get an amp weather i like it or not? Which i dont and yes, I've played it. Are you guys seriously recommending i buy a Kerry King JCM800 I dont like over amps like the Elmwood Modena, Mako Dorado and Splawn Nitro?? Thanks, but no thanks.
Well, excuse me for giving a good suggestion in terms of sound. Looks to me like you have already made up your mind and done serious homework locally. So why still ask here?
Splawn Nitro in aus .... ?
good luck dude.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by BeëlzeM

I like Thrash and I hate Slayer.
I'm kinda in a similar situation as you and I have heard good things about the Laney GH50L. It is a single channel amp which is supposed to sound like a JCM800 on sterioids. It retails for about $2000 Australian I think including the cab.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
You can buy them straight from the dealer. Not sure about Splawn, but i know a fair few US hand made amps ship them out for the price in US dollars plus shipping (and you gotta pay a tax but its nothing like double it like some companies do *cough* MESA *cough*.
I don't get how Slayer got labelled Thrash in the first place sounds more like speedy death metal to me, still they rock - except for their solos :p
Quote by CliffIsAngry
I don't get how Slayer got labelled Thrash in the first place sounds more like speedy death metal to me, still they rock - except for their solos not done by Jeff Hanneman:p

Fixed
What price range are we talking here man? I'm in america, so I'm thinking shipping costs. But with the price hikes from alot of the big companies, and with the RoHS compliance act, boutique amp companies seem to be more and more the place to go. Better tone, better quality, and better customer service. As for the Voodoo modded mesa, I've heard hundreds of them and you certainly can get killer thrash tones. It takes the amp and makes it sound like a boutique amp. Muddiness, fuzziness, and woofy bottom end are replaced with tight chunk, articulate (yes, out of a rec!) gain, and a more even frequency distribution, so you cut through the mix better and at lower volumes. Keep in mind there's various levels of mods too. And dude, I get up in the morning for heavy music and I don't really dig Slayer that much.
Look into something like a Mark IV the slayer hate is probably the fact there using jcm800's. Im sorta in the same boat i love thrash but dont care for slayer that much, mainly because I dont mind there tone but there not my first choice im not a big marshall fan.
Quote by nirvallica

Just because you ask for help it doesn't mean people have to help you. No one HAD to reply so don't be rude about it. Most people wouldn't know about the whole costs in Australia.. hell I know I didn't because we don't have to worry about that in Canada.