Okay basically the first half of my pointer finger is in pain...I heard your fingers will start to hurt after playing a while but I just figured that was the actual tips of your fingers...Like I think this is the kind of pain where you just need to rest for a while...Here is a pic to illustrate what's going on

^^^^ K see the first half of the finger? You know, after the knuckle? Yeah like it's kinda hurts for me to move it and such
You might have bad fretting technique and are putting too much pressure on the wrong joints.

I can't really explain how you're supposed to do it, find an online lesson with videos or pics.
ur prollu using too much pressure and are overexerting the muscles in ur fingers=pain. When u practice, focus on using the least amount of pressure possible whilst still being able to produce audible notes when u fret a note. Make this a habit, and u should b fine
You didn't really need to take a picture to tell us...

You are probably pressing to hard.
I just wanted to be as clear as I could, I'm playing on really hard thick strings on this damn acoustic guitar, ugh.
Its probably just muscle fatigue. I get it all the time but probably cuz my muscles are always tense and I am always stressed out. Sometimes I catch myself pressing too hard as well. Its just bad habits that you have to break.
Quote by rockabilly1955
Its probably just muscle fatigue. I get it all the time but probably cuz my muscles are always tense and I am always stressed out. Sometimes I catch myself pressing too hard as well. Its just bad habits that you have to break.

Should I just change my strings then? I heard Steve Ray Vaughn played with hard strings when he played the acoustic so I figured I'd do the same...Guess not
Quote by guitarnoob456
I just wanted to be as clear as I could, I'm playing on really hard thick strings on this damn acoustic guitar, ugh.

ick that sux. If u can, cut the strings, get a thinner gauge, and try to find someone to lower the action a little bit. U should feel better
Anytime anyone mentions 'fingers' I can't get "THAT" picture out of my head. *shivers*
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by guitarnoob456
Should I just change my strings then? I heard Steve Ray Vaughn played with hard strings when he played the acoustic so I figured I'd do the same...Guess not

most acoustics have thicker strings and probably higher action also. You probably will adapt to it if you keep playing it.
yeah... i remember this happening to me, too
time for a string change and maybe a lower action on that thing
what brand guitar is it??
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Quote by rockabilly1955
most acoustics have thicker strings and probably higher action also. You probably will adapt to it if you keep playing it.

He's right. And, in a way, it will help you be a better guitarist in the future, if you think about it.
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Quote by TooFast
Anytime anyone mentions 'fingers' I can't get "THAT" picture out of my head. *shivers*

way to make me relive bad memories.
Quote by Kynyster_K
He's right. And, in a way, it will help you be a better guitarist in the future, if you think about it.

Now that I think of it, I should start practicing on high action with thick strings also. Thats probably why my wrists and fingers get fatigued every now and then. My gig guitars are all low action with 9's!
Quote by TooFast

Argh you just reminded me of it...

-runs around screaming-
Quote by lpmarshall
my fingers hurts kinda after i've been playing for 6 hours today.

I think you are full of shit, sir.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
I think you are full of shit, sir.

i used to play that for that long at a time when i was in high school and without a job.

anyway.. that particular joint in your hand may be in pain due to improper technique.
make sure your fingers are in a natural comfortable position and don't invert the joints in the uh.. i dunno what joint it is.. but the one closest to your knuckle
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
are you just trying to show off your little gadget there? xD

REREAD EDIT: it says "the finger" not your finger
I pretty sure that for whatever reason you acquired the pain it will soon go away and most probably your finger will get even stronger like an oak.