i want to get a fuzz box to make that old school classic rock sound like a jimi hendrix type of sound and so on but what are some good boxes to get and am trying to spend only around 100
What kind of amp? And the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face is what you are looking for.
New amp before fuzz. Save the 100 dollars and put it towards an amp before you go and buy a fuzz pedal that won't help your tone at all.
no problem.
Quote by aceofspades1988
i want to get a fuzz box to make that old school classic rock sound like a jimi hendrix type of sound and so on but what are some good boxes to get and am trying to spend only around 100

The Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (US) was modeled after Jimi's tone. It's cheap ($79.99 new) and reliable. I suggest you try one out.
Quote by AtlantaHardcore
The Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (US) was modeled after Jimi's tone. It's cheap ($79.99 new) and reliable. I suggest you try one out.

D'oh.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by AtlantaHardcore

Key word here: modeled. TS, check the Dallas Arbiter.
If you want old school then you want a positive ground germanium fuzz pedal. But spider amps dont like pedals so would be a waste of money. You cant use digital modelling to get old school sound.
+1 to new amp. That hundred dollars is like halfway or so to a epi valve.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
A guy on these forums called Bostonrocks makes a fuzz called the Old Skool fuzz. It's cheaper than the Dallas Arbiter (I think), Hand-built, and hand-painted, so each is individual. Definately get a new amp first, but you may want to look into that rather than the dunlop.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
yep I'm here.

I do recommend and new amp first but then look into my pedal you might like it. It's silicon transistors not germanium but it still does a good Jimi fuzz

and yes it is cheaper then the dallas arbiter and the dulop one by about 20 bucks

and personally the dunlop FF sounds REALLY bad
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jun 16, 2008,
If you want old, OLD school fuzz, get a expensive Fender Amp and poke little holes in the speaker with a screwdriver!

In second thoughts, maybe get a new but less-expensive-than-the-Fender amp, and a fuzz pedal!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i agree with the rest get a better amp first.
the Fender Champion 600 is a nice little bugger.

Have you thought about maybe building a replica of the fuzz face?
theres loads of schematics and probably kits on the net!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by Bostonrocks
yep I'm here.

I do recommend and new amp first but then look into my pedal you might like it. It's silicon transistors not germanium but it still does a good Jimi fuzz

and yes it is cheaper then the dallas arbiter and the dulop one by about 20 bucks

and personally the dunlop FF sounds REALLY bad

I have to agree with this one. Thin and no depth.
ok awesome thanks for advice everyone, gonna get a new amp before long just got the spider to learn and mess with
Quote by aceofspades1988
ok awesome thanks for advice everyone, gonna get a new amp before long just got the spider to learn and mess with

Good man
when time to spend more on an amp what would be a good amp to get that would work well with fuzz boxes and such? (when recommending please remember im a college student in low funds so nothing to crazy)
Depends on how much power. Epiphone amps take pedals really well, and sound very good with a fuzz in front of them. A Valve Standard is 299 new, 15 watts (and a loud 15 watts, too). Probably could find one used for 200.

Food for thought.
ok awesome will be looking into that, thank you very much for the help imgooley, they are good despite the lack of features the amp has?
Well, what kind of features do you need? What do you plan on using it for? If it's home practice and small gigs where you don't need a lot of clean headroom, the Valve Standard can pull it off. It has reverb, master volume, 3 dsp effects, a 12 inch speaker and a line out so you can connect an extension cab if need be.

However, it is one channel, so keep that in mind when looking at stuff.

Tonally, it's kinda like a cross between a GA-20 and a Blues Junior, with a bit of a darker voicing. It's a very good classic rock amp and a very good to excellent blues amp.

The main advantages it has over say, a Blues Junior, is the fact that it can connect an extension cab and the fact that it's 200 dollars cheaper. The Blues Junior has a better clean sound, though.

There are a whole bunch more options when you get into more wattage, but depending on your needs, you may not need over 15.