I recently made the choise to get a custom guitar.
The first thing i need to ask is which type of wood should i get the body?
Im much a lead player and i play mostly shred, melodic Deathmetal, and heavy metal.
Im not Sure if brighter or Warmer Wood Would Better Suit me so im asking.
Your amp will govern your sound more than your guitar, and you can use alder, basswood or mahogany for metal, though most people use one of the last two.
Well my main choises for body were either going to be Mohagany With a Flamed maple Top, Or Swamp ash with a Flamed Maple Top.
Which do you recomend?
I wouldn't reccomend basswood. It's boring. Yes, alder for a lighter instrument. But I would have to say Mahogany will be you're best bet. As for a Maple cap, would look good, and adds a bit of treble bite to the Mahogany body.

What design are you going for? Drawings? Dimensions? etc etc...

- Rich
Quote by Dookie_1988
I wouldn't reccomend basswood. It's boring. Yes, alder for a lighter instrument. But I would have to say Mahogany will be you're best bet. As for a Maple cap, would look good, and adds a bit of treble bite to the Mahogany body.

What design are you going for? Drawings? Dimensions? etc etc...

- Rich

Im planning on probably a soloist type body.
But since I want it to be a carved top i am probably going to have to go to warmoth due to lack of experience with carved tops.
i suggest mahogany for many types of playing. amp will give you more of your tone anyway.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by Stratmaster458
Mahogany is the way to go its almost a "heavy" as metal so get a good strap

Are you implying that mahogany is as heavy as most metals? You would be wrong. A solid steel, or even aluminum, guitar body, would be very, very heavy. You need a good strap for sure, but for a metal body you would need a bloody chain.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^lmfao

mahogany/maple definately.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking