hey guys...i have a problem...i may hear a song and decide to learn how to play it on the guitar...i find the tabs and start playing it...after some days/hours(depends on the difficulty of the song) i learn to play the whole song except the solo...and here's the problem...every time i find a solo that's quite fast(for example SEEK AND DESTROY BY METALLICA or COMING HOME BY STRATOVARIUS) i get stuck....i dnt know wat to do and that's really annoying me because i start playing along with the song and at the solo i have to stop and wait until it ends....pls help me!!!!
Stuck how? Might I suggest chopping the solo up into little parts and learning each part separately instead of the whole thing in one go?
Quote by ScythePuppet
Stuck how? Might I suggest chopping the solo up into little parts and learning each part separately instead of the whole thing in one go?

+1
practice alternate picking a lot or whatever techniques are in the solo you are trying to learn as well.
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Play it slower then build up the speed... Even doing simple scales faster will produce a 'metal' solo
all it takes is practice. if you have not been playing guitar for that long, dont expect to be able to play Metallica solos.

i recommend learning easier solos so that you can build up technique and feel more comfortable with playing solos in general. if you are intent on playing shred solos, then i am afraid you need to start off slowly and in segments, get it memorised, and then build up speed over time, ensuring that when you get faster you play every note correctly. a metronome would probably be helpful with building up speed.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
all it takes is practice. if you have not been playing guitar for that long, dont expect to be able to play Metallica solos.

i recommend learning easier solos so that you can build up technique and feel more comfortable with playing solos in general. if you are intent on playing shred solos, then i am afraid you need to start off slowly and in segments, get it memorised, and then build up speed over time, ensuring that when you get faster you play every note correctly. a metronome would probably be helpful with building up speed.

+1

This is long-haul stuff, it's not just a case of spending a couple of hours workinng at it....depending on where you're at now it could be years before you've got the technical ability to pull off some of those more advanced solos. A quick litmus test you can do is to just listen to a solo, if you can work out what's played then you've got a pretty good chance of being able to learn it, if there's bits that just make you think "wtf???" then chances are it's going to be too difficult for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don't stop playing when the solo comes...continue to play the rhythm.
If you have an understanding of the progression/riff under the lead.
The lead will be easier to figure out. So when you chop
the lead, you'll chop it up per phrasing.
When you play the lead..it'll have a better feel or tempo to it.

Plus you'll be in demand, if you know the complete rhythm to songs.
Everybody wants to play lead, nobody wants to play rhythm
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 16, 2008,
Windows Media Player can slow down songs for you which makes learning really fast parts (such as solos) a lot easier. Play it slow and correctly and build up speed when you can. Take your time and don't get upset, it definetly pays off.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Ordinary
Don't stop playing when the solo comes...continue to play the rhythm.
If you have an understanding of the progression/riff under the lead.
The lead will be easier to figure out. So when you chop
the lead, you'll chop it up per phrasing.
When you play the lead..it'll have a better feel or tempo to it.

Plus you'll be in demand, if you know the complete rhythm to songs.

This is very good advice. Its my opinion that you should still learn the rthyem first even when learning the lead. I do this and it helps me to keep time because i dont rush i hear both parts while playing either. So its good practice to at least play the rythems through for now.
Quote by Ordinary

That depends on whether your jamming or doing covers, or even what cover you're doing.

I like playing rhythm when jamming with guys that like to play blues rock because you can play some pretty cool riffs over the bass and drums. Also, players like Jimi Hendrix wrote some kick-ass rhythm parts. A lot of metal has a lot of cool rhythm too.

So don't steer away from rhythm TS. Keep playing rhythm, and also build your solo technique and experience. Add an extra half hour to your daily practice and play scales, practice solo techniques, and split up solos to your favorite songs and play them slowly.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401