Currently my sound is kinda jumbled and sloppy, especially with distortion and I'm convinced it's my guitar but it would suck if I got a new one and it still sounded crappy with the distortion.

I play using a (Bullet) Squier strat through a AD15VT Vox Amp, although my rig is crappy I was just wondering what I would benefit from more changing my amp or my guitar?

Edit:

(I don't play Sloppy)
Free Beer?

webbtje
When im home alone i like to strip to me undies and rock out really loud and dance and headbang and just get into it.. in fact, i am right now.. btw im like 16. And i do it in drop d, which makes it even dirtier.
Last edited by Declanz at Jun 16, 2008,
get ready for everyone to say amp LOL
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
AMP!
and so would i with my damn line 6 ... =/
if its really sloppy.. it may just be your playing?
i dunno; not criticizing you but just bringing in some possibilities.
Gear:
Fender Strat American Deluxe,
Halfsize Custom Electro-acoustic
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
Quote by Gabbastard
get ready for everyone to say amp LOL

Don't bother reading the rest of the thread TS, this guy has summed it up for you.
Well, does your sound sloppy because it's hard to play your instrument, or what? I don't really understand what you mean. If it's a squier bullet that you are playing, that might be the case. An AD15VT is the best cheap SS amp imo, so methinks it be your hands that make your playing sound sloppy.
Quote by imgooley
Well, does your sound sloppy because it's hard to play your instrument, or what? I don't really understand what you mean. If it's a squier bullet that you are playing, that might be the case. An AD15VT is the best cheap SS amp imo, so methinks it be your hands that make your playing sound sloppy.

I don't play that badly, it is just hard to hear each note...
Free Beer?

webbtje
When im home alone i like to strip to me undies and rock out really loud and dance and headbang and just get into it.. in fact, i am right now.. btw im like 16. And i do it in drop d, which makes it even dirtier.
Again, I don't exactly know what the problem is. You might have it EQ'd bad, or you are using presets, or something. What are your settings?
Quote by imgooley
Again, I don't exactly know what the problem is. You might have it EQ'd bad, or you are using presets, or something. What are your settings?

I usually have it on UK MODERN with just over half gain, half volume, full treble, a third mid and bass. Sometimes I use the presets but they're a bit too bass oriented for my liking.
Free Beer?

webbtje
try lowering your treble and increasing your mids, and I would probably go for a new guitar, because that amp shouldn't sound that bad.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Clean your ears.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
if you dont have a tuner buy one.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Quote by Declanz
I usually have it on UK MODERN with just over half gain, half volume, full treble, a third mid and bass. Sometimes I use the presets but they're a bit too bass oriented for my liking.

Ok, did you hit 'manual' before switching the amp channel? Because if you didn't, some of the preset settings might still be affecting your tone. Also, always, always, always play with full or 3/4ths mids. Lower the bass to about 1/4th and the treble to half. Add some (not a lot, but a little) reverb, turn the channel volume and the gain full up, and don't mix the pickups on your guitar. For higher gain on a strat like guitar, put it on the bridge. If you want a lower gain setting, use the AC30TB channel (the best channel on the amp). If you want a high gain tone, use Nu Metal (it's more defined than the US Modern and the UK Modern).

If that doesn't work, it's your guitar, not the amp. Or your hands. I have the 50 watt version of that amp, and I get good tone out of it.
Quote by SovietSpartan
Clean your ears.

I don't need advice on my hygiene.
Free Beer?

webbtje
It's nether the amp or the guitar, it's you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com