Yup, so I've had my fender hot rod deluxe for a little short of a year. And it's a great amp but my only problem is when I play gigs. Most gigs I perform at, the amps aren't mic'd so when I turn up my deluxe past 4, it'll break up like mad and ill lose all the warm tone I acquired at lower volumes. It sucks because I'll put it at high volumes at home and try and find an EQ that will work for performances and than ill actually get to the gig and it'll sound completely different.

I've been told it's due to a lack of a rectifier?

Please help me or give me some advice as to what i can do, it's a great amp for cleans but as soon as I throw on my Distortion.... Please give me some advice as to what I can do to find a balance!
The amp has a rectifier, don't worry about that. Maybe someone ment that it has a SS rectifier instead of a tube (or the other way around, I don't know which one it has), but I don't think having the other one would have any effect.

Now, what's the problem? When you turn it up, you have breakup? And when you use your distortion pedal with that, it doesn't work very well? Have you tried using a OD pedal or something to push the breakup into distortion? I'm not sure if that'd work, but maybe worth a try.

Also, what distortion pedal are you using?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Hmm I have the blues deluxe and my break up happens at around 8-9, try the clean channel? and drop the eq down a bit ?
whoa you must be playing really really loud, too make you 6l6 tubes break up

you can try a tube change, to increase your headroom so the clean doesnt break up as early

EX. if you want more headroom for EL34 amp you can switch tubes tube E34L

go to the eurotubes website and email them or something

you can also try some cabs to increase volume

if it really bothers you that much just get another amp with higher wattage, it'll give you much more headroom 100 or so watts should be good

......i love it when amps break up, thats the best things about tubes...
maybe you should try solidstate instead
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
It's normal for it to start breaking up around 3-4 because of the type of pot they use for the volume control. What kind of distortion pedal are you using? You could probably get better results with an overdrive pedal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You need different EQ settings for different volumes, as you've found out. Use your sound check time to experiment. Obviously different venues also have different acoustics.
...Bleep Bloop...
Your question confuses me a little. You don't like your amp breaking up because of how it reacts with your distortion? Do you mean a pedal you're running in front of the amp, or switching to the amp's drive or more drive channels? Many people find the "more drive" on the amp to be rather terrible, and the drive channel is probably not much better.

One way to get a little more clean headroom out of the amp, if that's the issue, is to replace the 12AX7 a/w the clean channel with a 5751 or 12AT7 tube.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Your question confuses me a little. You don't like your amp breaking up because of how it reacts with your distortion? Do you mean a pedal you're running in front of the amp, or switching to the amp's drive or more drive channels? Many people find the "more drive" on the amp to be rather terrible, and the drive channel is probably not much better.

One way to get a little more clean headroom out of the amp, if that's the issue, is to replace the 12AX7 a/w the clean channel with a 5751 or 12AT7 tube.

as weird as it may seem, that will decrease the headroom actually.

TS, i have a fender blues deluxe that's very similar to your amp, and mine doesn't break up until 5 on the volume knob (it did in former days, not anymore but that's irrelevant)
and even then it's only a Chuck Berry level of OD. i use a strat with low output pickups though...
are you using humbuckers ?