How many hours does it take on average to build a guitar apart from all metal hardware installation..talking about a prs style guitar without a paint finish and without inlays just tung oil but with an archtop obviously. My father in law is gonna do the woodwork and ill do the rest or take it to a luthier.
Search Bar

You talking about a very wide margin here. It could take you a week it could take you over a year. There is no 'average' it all depends on your skill set.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Search Bar

You talking about a very wide margin here. It could take you a week it could take you over a year. There is no 'average' it all depends on your skill set.

well he is a professional carpenter but he hasnt made a guitar before.
Quote by Absent Mind
Search Bar

Yeah, folks like JSC and Ormsby can get one done in a week, easily. If you plan thoroughly and work within your limits, it could take a few weeks to a month or two. Or you could spread it out over a few months to a year, and take your time.

It depends on your skill, your experience, how much planning you've done, and how good you want the finished product to be.
I could probably bang out a guitar, ready for finish, in about 2 weeks - given my wacky schedule and my occassional desire to procrastinate... If i were to tally up all of the time in my first build it wouldn't really amount to that many hours... it's all dependant on your dedication and your schedule.

Speaking of which, I'm going to start my neck thru king v build soon
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^ +1 I have procrastinated so much, yet my actual work shop hours are very small.

I guess he could probably do all the wood work in under a week depending on his schedual, given that he is a pro carpenter and should probably have the right tools.

But as minty pointed out, on a first build especially, planning is the key to success.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
now, why the heck would you want someone else to do all of the work for you?! there's an old saying... catch me a fish, I'll eat for today, Teach me to fish, I'll eat for a lifetime.

Have your father in law teach you how to do the woodworking and do the fretting, wiring and setup yourself.

Before I started my build all i knew how to do was change strings, set action and adjust a truss rod... now I can build an entire guitar from scratch, laminate, install frets, inlay, build pups, etc, etc, etc...

although i dont particularly care for fish much...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
now, why the heck would you want someone else to do all of the work for you?! there's an old saying... catch me a fish, I'll eat for today, Teach me to fish, I'll eat for a lifetime.

Have your father in law teach you how to do the woodworking and do the fretting, wiring and setup yourself.

Before I started my build all i knew how to do was change strings, set action and adjust a truss rod... now I can build an entire guitar from scratch, laminate, install frets, inlay, build pups, etc, etc, etc...

He lives in a different continent so its difficult. Plus im Aries so i never finish ANYTH
Last edited by tuwyci at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

+1

Ever since I got my first guitar, I've always done all of the modding and maintenance work myself, either with my own tools or tools blagged from my dad. It's much more rewarding to do yourself, and it helps you to get your foot through the door, into the fascinating world of guitar building.

Technically, I started my build about three months ago, when I started planning. I already knew how to set-up, adjust, and wire guitars, but I knew nothing about their design. It took months to analyse guitar designs in my head, and identify most of the rules and important factors in guitar design, but now I can bash-off a workable design in less than an hour. The same goes for the woodwork. Sure, I'm still rubbish, but I'm surprised at how much better I am with the tools, than when I first started, or with the refinishes and stuff that I did before.

I think that you'd be foolish to be defeatist, and pass the project to someone else. You could benefit much more by undertaking the work yourself.

Edit: I like Seabass, in particular.