Hey, so I feel kind of stupid asking this, but how do you make the sound that sounds like a drill squealing....Uh, Zakk Wylde does it alot, Slash too, and alot of people on youtube, but I can't seem to figure it out!

Here's a video (sorry, it's the only song I could think of off the top of my head...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqf7LBbbwYs&feature=related

He does it a bunch at the beginning
its really an art to master at first, you have to hit the string with your picking hand thumb.
its a pinched harmonic, it can be tricky at 1st but basicly its just when you pick the string brig the edge of your picking hand thumb dow on the string ever so sightly and vibrato the string like hell.
its actually harder to explain in text than it is to do, you really need to have someone show you the action.
good luck.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Thanks! I'm definitely learning that. I kinda know how to do basic pinch harmonics actually, but it never sounds anything like that
Last edited by Ratboy51190 at Jun 16, 2008,
yeah, I have a squier strat and a crappy little 10 watt practice amp....got the whole ensemble for about 80 bucks... could be the reason...
The thing about pinch harmonics, which took me a little while to realize, is that they are different depending on where you pick them. Keep that in mind.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
It's the vibrato combined with the harmonic that makes it sound good, and that's another hard skill to learn, but keep at it
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join