I'm 21 and have been liftin for years, and play division 1 baseball...but lately ive been playin a lot more lead guitar and realized that the more i lift the slower my becomes and I get soreness in my left wrist. I just feel very tight and unfluid. So my question is what do you other guys who work out and play sports do to loosen up before playing? ...and I cant back off the lifting...I have a future in baseball, prob not in guitar
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Yeah I lift and run a lot also, but I can't really relate to what you're saying. The only thing I would never do is play before like 2 or 3 hours after I lifted. Other than that, sorry but I can't help you.
ive been having wrist pain since buying my acoustic....and ive been playing a lot more...not sure if theres anything u can do when ur muscles are in repair
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
idn its not that bad for me. im decently big, and i have no real problems.

one thing i would advise, is never workout arms/foreams same days a gig. i made that mistake once, talk about being sloppy
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
I play Highschool Football so I'm in the same boat as you my friend.
what I do is trills

such as using all your fingers to loosen the up
--------------------1-2-2-1
----------------1-2---------2-1
------------1-2 ----------------2-1-----------------------------2-3
--------1-2-------------------------2-1--------------------2-3
----1-2---------------------------------2-1-----------2-3
1-2-----------------------------------------2-1---2-3

Back and forth
and all the way down to the 5 fret then go Pointer and ring finger to the 5th, and then Finally Pointer and Pinky this one is hard 1-4. this will Build speed and strength over reptitions I do this everytime I play for about a good 20 minutes.

or you can go out and buy some handgrips and just do that a whole bunch of times.

Hope this helped.
Last edited by electricdeath at Jun 16, 2008,
play guitar first, then work out, then on your rebuilding day, play lightly, no face melting solos, just rhythm... repeat.

-Thats what I do....
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by electricdeath
I play Highschool Football so I'm in the same boat as you my friend.
what I do is trills

such as using all your fingers to loosen the up
--------------------1-2-2-1
----------------1-2---------2-1
------------1-2 ----------------2-1-----------------------------2-3
--------1-2-------------------------2-1--------------------2-3
----1-2---------------------------------2-1-----------2-3
1-2-----------------------------------------2-1---2-3

Back and forth
and all the way down to the 5 fret then go Pointer and ring finger to the 5th, and then Finally Pointer and Pinky this one is hard 1-4. this will Build speed and strength over reptitions I do this everytime I play for about a good 20 minutes.

or you can go out and buy some handgrips and just do that a whole bunch of times.

Hope this helped.

Those aren't trills, they are hammer-ons and then pull-offs.
I work out 5x each week and i haven´t found any difference in my playing o.O if anything i play better after i worked out...
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Those aren't trills, they are hammer-ons and then pull-offs.

I Hit the note 2 times for for 1 and then one for 2, so I can build up finger speed
Its sounds maybe like you're straining your arms a bit. If your arms feel tight then rest them as it could lead to further strain. I don't have an answer to stop it apart from what the guys above me have said. Leave longer times between working out and playing guitar and do a proper warm-up.
Sorry man, i cant really help too much. I play club gold hockey and practice daily 6-8 then lift for a few hours later on...but i have never had any problems as you have described.

You may be over doing it ? im not sure. Make to strap your wrists if youre doing anything super heavy. Its hard for me to relate to a baseball players routine as im by no means a huge guy, as I weigh 170 and am 6'3. Lately ive been doing a lot less bulking and more cutting, so the weight ive been lifting has decreased.

For you...im sure you lift quite a bit, so the support straps on bench etc would be a big help for taking some of the tension off of your wrists.

I would also suggest just sqweezing a tennis ball while in class etc, strengthens the hand quite a bit may help your playing give you a little more energy.

Im lost at what to suggest man, im sorry.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
i also lift some wights i know what ur saying ... u need to work on ur speed .. i dunno what to suggest exaclly . maybe try doing like boxers do ..for ur hands as in ..do punching exercices with small weights in ur hands .. i know that improves ur hands speed. hope that helps a bit
i've gotten that occasionally

usually it happens when i'm doing curls, i get just a searing pain in my forearms

the only way i've found to avoid it is to cut back doing certain lifts, like now i do mostly dumbbell curls rather than with a bent bar, butterfly's or dumbbell press rather than a straight bar bench

try mixing around your lifts if its certain lifts that set off the soreness, otherwise, you could try just backing off a bit on forearm lifts/workouts on your fret hand (assuming its the opposite your throwing arm)
i dont play guitar right after i work out. but lifting weights doesn't slow me down. i usually stretch first, then do some slow finger exercises before i play some fast songs.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I haven't really noticed, guess I'm not very advanced yet. But since I play a lot of foosball, and guitar, my right hand wrist feels really screwed up, and makes it very difficult to do some barbell exercises.
thanks guys, im 6'4 240 pretty solid, so I def lift hard... i think its a lot cause of the forearm workouts (sucks theyre the best for throwing and hitting) which tighten the hell out of my wrists. Warming up with scales and taking a few hours after workin out has def helped...and petrucci is jacked up these days, respect to him
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Look at megadeths new guitarist the guy from nevermore he lifts a lot and still is an amazing guitar player.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
I'm was a very tiny guy, 5'8''125lbs, but started working out about 2 months ago, now I'm up to about 140lbs.

As far as guitar playing goes, if anything my stamina is better and my accuracy is slightly better. It could be from practice but I do feel that working out gives you smoother power no matter how heavy or light of an action your doing, and guitar being a very small movement, high power, high speed "sport" working out could be beneficial.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i lift and i get that when i work my forearms and wrist... the finger tendons are all up in there so they get affected when the muscle tissue tears

when your muscles recover your fingers should be much stronger... that helps with fingerstrengh and grip alot
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb