Well I want to know some cheaper amps with good tone to look out for. I have a really low budget but need a good half stack for gigging. My guitar will be using active pickups w/ a boost switch. If I get a solid state can you recommend some pedals?

I know a half stack for cheap is unreasonable but I'm really tight for money and will be gigging this fall. I just need to know what amps I should look out for that MIGHT go under 400. I have all summer to look.

EDIT - I'm definitely buying used.
Last edited by Seef at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by Guitarwoody7
^is that a joke or do u just wanna get flamed

Was that to me?
What styles do you play? Also you really don't need a half stack, get a nice tube combo, you will get a nice one for that price
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by tom9`
hey if anyone wants free stuff join this site: http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=299774. u earn points by doing surveys nd then order watever u want off the web!! people have had ps3's, ipods...allsorts!!

reported
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by tom9`
hey if anyone wants free stuff join this site: http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=299774. u earn points by doing surveys nd then order watever u want off the web!! people have had ps3's, ipods...allsorts!!

My first reported post!

EDIT - I was beat!!

And I play all sorts of stuff but I really need a nice heavy distortion or clean channel that a pedal would work with because that's the style I'll be gigging with. Like I'm not looking for the most amazing tone but just something I can work with. And I've heard the "get a tube combo" a lot and really would rather deal with a halfstack and just upgrade as needed. It might be kinda dumb and an image thing but ehh.

I don't know many good cheap half stacks cept I know to stay away from MGs and Spiders.
^You're not going to get a decent half stack on your budget. Personally, I think a big + to your ego is to have good tone, not a huge stack of ****.
Look into the Peavey Valveking amps. Pretty cheap, good sounding tube amp.
But I also recommend you save yourself some money and buy a combo,
but if you REALLY want a half-stack then by all means get one. (I have one too )
I certainly agree with the Valveking idea also you could look at one of these if you could stretc your budget a little http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33212-33W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487056
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
How are the Crate VooDoo amps? And I know it's a solid state but the Randall RX120D? I've seen both those go for pretty cheap.

EDIT : And the Crate Flexwave.
Last edited by Seef at Jun 16, 2008,
I would seriously consider either the Epiphone Valve Jr or the Blackheart Little Giant amp matched with the offered extension cabs. For gigging, you will have to mic them depending on the venue.

Both heads take pedals well so any tone you are after you can get it.

Chris
Quote by RCShadow
I would seriously consider either the Epiphone Valve Jr or the Blackheart Little Giant amp matched with the offered extension cabs. For gigging, you will have to mic them depending on the venue.

Both heads take pedals well so any tone you are after you can get it.

Chris

I'd steer clear of 5 watt amps if you want to gig with it, they have very little clean headroom
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
It needs to be loud enough for decent sized gigs. I play punk and metal. I know I'm being stubborn about a combo but I REALLY dont want one.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well then we can't help you. What is wrong with a combo, exactly?

They're heavy... I'd rather make 2 trips instead of 1 big one. I could keep a cab where I have practice so I only have to worry about one head which is considerably lighter and smaller than a combo. When I gig I don't need someone to help me carry it. I could get a better head or cab later if I wanted instead of replacing the whole thing. In which case I'll have a backup cab or head. I really appreciate you guys trying to help though!

I'm not looking for godly like tone... but I don't want ****ty tone. I know I won't get an amazing amp but it'll be something I can play.
Cheap heads:
Peavey ultra
Crate Stealth
(both those used)
Peavey Windsor(if cleans aren't a necessity)
Crate v33h
Rh150g3 plus (for the Metalz/higain)
Cab:

As a side note:
Combos aren't THAT heavy. I can carry my combo(albeit a 15watter) very easily by myself, and if you want, you could put casters on the bottom. I'd think about that option too.