So, as I began prancing around the electric guitar forum, I realized I always see a lot of talk of metal guitars. A lot of talk. And, as someone who plays with a Rickenbacker and a VOX modeling amp, set to an AC30 setting with perhaps some light reverb and tremelo, maybe some Wah, naturally I feel out of place. While I have no problem with distortion, I usually prefer a clean sound, perhaps with some tube overdrive.

I don't really know what the point of this thread is, but just post your specs.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
Last edited by pancakes at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by pancakes
So, as I began prancing around the electric guitar forum, I realized I always see a lot of talk of metal guitars. A lot of talk. And, as someone who plays with a Rickenbacker and a VOX modeling amp, set to an AC30 setting with perhaps some light reverb and tremelo, maybe some Wah, naturally I feel out of place. While I have no problem with distortion, I usually prefer a clean sound, perhaps with some tube overdrive.

I totally get your feeling here. I play a Fender Fat Strat (Vintage in the sense that a Fender Strat is original) on pretty much the same amp. I use the Black 2x12 for cleans and the AC30 for the overdrive.

I much prefer vintage looking/feeling gear. For example, everyone on here keeps saying "Peavey Valveking" and I've looked at it--just trying to keep in mind what kind of amp I would like next--and it doesn't do it for me. Just seems too modern. Hmm.
Two days ago I've received my new guitar. Well, "new" - it's a Japanese Fender from 1983. I plug it to Laney VC15 which is essentially the Vox AC15 clone, and I use the Big Muff Pi for Hendrix-like fuzz (I play a lot of RHCP and Hendrix).

Nowadays stuff is produced pretty much without soul, I regret that I can't have an old Marshall and boutique Big Muff, but they do the job for me as a reissues. But guitar reissues completely lack this *spark*, I've played many MIM and MIA Strats and my Fender Squier '83 has a lot more character then them (even though 1983 wasn't that long ago)
Quote by pancakes

Agreed, what exactly is your point?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
1966 Blackface Super Reverb. Thats the only vintage gear i have.

It was roughed up but i restored it and it looks sexy as hell
We have a vintage Fender Twin Reverb and an original '72 Telecaster Thinline sitting around the house. Turns me right on.
my brother in law has a silvertone w/ the tube amp guitar case. its a very early 60`s model the body is like idk, cardboard. and from what he has been told its worth a fair sum. as for my self my oldest guitar is a 90 model. so idk mabey by 2010 it will be considered vintage.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab

I know it's Ultimate GUITAR and it's the electric GUITAR forum, but this is the only vintage thing I'm close to owning, and it's not even mine. It's my friends vintage ludwig kit from the 60s with some vintage Zildjian cymbals. He now has a vintage Pearl snare but the one in the pic is an unknown piece of sh*t
While my stuff is not old, I'm more into that old sound. Über-br00tal-death-distortion doesn't quite do it for me. I need a nice clean tone and some juicy overdrive to be happy. Oh yeah, and all double locking tremolos are horribly expensive toys that kill your sustain. Duh!
The double locking trems and such are good for people that use them. I don't hve a guitar with one right now, but I have and they have their uses.

You have to sticvk with what works for you.
Quote by pancakes

i love you taste
i own a electra omega from 76
Quote by SenorSmiley
The double locking trems and such are good for people that use them. I don't hve a guitar with one right now, but I have and they have their uses.

You have to sticvk with what works for you.

I know, I wasn't being serious.
It's just that everytime I see one of those things, I think if it's worth the hassle that comes with it, and that makes me stay far away from them. It's not like I tell everybody who wants such a thing to get something else instead. Strangely enough, I do know quite a lot about the different trems there are and how they operate.
All my Gibson's are from 74. I didn't plan it that way, it's just the way it turned out.

The L5S on the left I got around 1980ish. I was the only one I had until
the Super 400CES (middle) I got around 1985ish. The L5S on the right I got
a few years ago off of ebay (it was formerly owned by a well known jazz guy in
the chicago area).

All told, these were some nice bargains compared to what they go for now and
they're really some of Gibson's best work IMO.

Quote by edg
All my Gibson's are from 74. I didn't plan it that way, it's just the way it turned out.

The L5S on the left I got around 1980ish. I was the only one I had until
the Super 400CES (middle) I got around 1985ish. The L5S on the right I got
a few years ago off of ebay (it was formerly owned by a well known jazz guy in
the chicago area).

All told, these were some nice bargains compared to what they go for now and
they're really some of Gibson's best work IMO.

Heh, nice!

Does getting a Fender Classic Player 50s Strat count as vintage? I'm into the vintage, ahem, 'vibe', and adore all those sounds; alas I'm short for money and can't afford mch
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Strat through a 5 watt tube amp. No boxes between, I love the cleans and natural breakup. That and I can't afford any pedals
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.

'63 Kay Vanguard. My baby.

My sometime in the early 80's Aria Pro II XX Deluxe, if you feel like calling that vintage.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.