My amp is a Vintage Carvin X100B playing through celestion V30s.
The guitars are Ibanez Rg with various high output Dimarzios, a Jackson Rhoads and a Dean Vendetta 3.0 both with EMGs
The style of music is Heavy Rock going towards NWOBH.
Budget is around $100 but that is flexible.

Thanks in advance!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Maybe a used Maxon OD808 or OD9. It's the same as the tube screamer except with true bypass
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
Maybe a used Maxon OD808 or OD9. It's the same as the tube screamer except with true bypass

What is true bypass exactly? I've heard the term before, but never had an explanation.
OK basically when a pedal is turned off and your guitar is going through it your guitar goes through either a buffer or a true bypass circuit. A buffer basically copies your tone and passes it on to the output of the pedal, one or two buffered pedals won't affect your tone noticably unless the buffers are really bad. But a buffer is like making a copy of a tape, the first copy will be good the second will be good but the more you make the more the quality will deteriorate. Basically a true bypass completely eliminates the problem of your tone being sucked by buffers by transferring your signal straight from the input to the output. Of course true bypass isn't without it's problems either but generally it preserves your tone much better that a buffered signal.
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123

Ellegedly one of them has a harsher voicing (can't remember which one though).
Quote by Bossman123
OK basically when a pedal is turned off and your guitar is going through it your guitar goes through either a buffer or a true bypass circuit. A buffer basically copies your tone and passes it on to the output of the pedal, one or two buffered pedals won't affect your tone noticably unless the buffers are really bad. But a buffer is like making a copy of a tape, the first copy will be good the second will be good but the more you make the more the quality will deteriorate. Basically a true bypass completely eliminates the problem of your tone being sucked by buffers by transferring your signal straight from the input to the output. Of course true bypass isn't without it's problems either but generally it preserves your tone much better that a buffered signal.

So I see, thanks for the explanation. so should I run the rest of my effects through my loop then? I use a Crybaby 535q, then would be whatever overdrive, then an Icebox, a flanger, then a delay. Should I put the chorus, flanger and delay in my loop? Currently the loop has a graphic 7 band eq in it alone.
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by UncleCthulhu

The OD9 is a little harsher.

Also i would put the flanger and chorus in the loop, delay maybe not, it's a case of preference really...I wouldn't put the EQ in there though unless you find that it works better than it would in front of the amp
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
The OD9 is a little harsher.

Also i would put the flanger and chorus in the loop, delay maybe not, it's a case of preference really...I wouldn't put the EQ in there though unless you find that it works better than it would in front of the amp

On my old amp it did sound better. I just got the X100B so I do need to run that experiment
Quote by UncleCthulhu

I'm pretty sure the 9 is more harsh.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)