i read about it when i can, and try to apply what i know to the fretboard (when i actually get the time to sit down and play my guitar. which turns out to be only about once a week). but i'm missing something.
i can intellectualize keys and scales and modes (to one degree or another). but its all sort of disconnected. ESPECIALLY when trying to apply the little that i do know to actually "playing guitar". something that doesn't wind up just being notes in a particular mode, played one way or another.
its like i can't hear what i'm playing. and i can't play what i'm hearing in my head.
i've been learning songs from the Tablature on this, and other websites. and its like i can play the notes and chords in the right time. but i can't even really hear the song that i'm playing, while i'm playing it. is that wierd?
maybe i'm brain damaged
lessons are kind of expensive. and i don't really have the time (much less to even play on a regular basis).
Maybe this means that your really left brained. apparently if your a musician whos left-brained, you concentrate on the technical aspects of the music, but not the actual music itself.
Keep reading. It's just a matter of time before something clicks in your head. Try to understand how theory applies to the music you listen to and the music you like to play. The quickest way I learned theory is by listening to classical music. But that's just me. Also try to work in a little more practice time; once a week won't cut it.
Quote by pagefan
Maybe this means that your really left brained. apparently if your a musician whos left-brained, you concentrate on the technical aspects of the music, but not the actual music itself.

god dammit this is stupid as ****. STOP POSTING!!!!!!

You are having difficulty because there is a lot of information! Theroy can be extremely overwhelming and nobody learns it all at once. Just take it a little bit at a time, and if its too confusing just put it on the shelf and keep coming back and reading more and you will slowly begin to absorb it.
Quote by pagefan

No, just...no. The brain doesn't work that way.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by pagefan

Tell us more, Bill Nye.
Quote by sethp
i read about it when i can, and try to apply what i know to the fretboard (when i actually get the time to sit down and play my guitar. which turns out to be only about once a week). but i'm missing something.
i can intellectualize keys and scales and modes (to one degree or another). but its all sort of disconnected. ESPECIALLY when trying to apply the little that i do know to actually "playing guitar". something that doesn't wind up just being notes in a particular mode, played one way or another.
its like i can't hear what i'm playing. and i can't play what i'm hearing in my head.
i've been learning songs from the Tablature on this, and other websites. and its like i can play the notes and chords in the right time. but i can't even really hear the song that i'm playing, while i'm playing it. is that wierd?
maybe i'm brain damaged
lessons are kind of expensive. and i don't really have the time (much less to even play on a regular basis).

spend more time playing
spend some time listening
develop the ear by using it..... learn songs by ear instead of by tab.
develop feel.....imitate your favorite players.

The thing you're likely "missing" is the music itself. Theory is only helpful when you have something to relate it to.

Quote by pagefan
you concentrate on the technical aspects of the music, but not the actual music itself.

I won't comment on the "left brain" thing because I don't really have the background, but I think your statement here may have very well hit the nail on the head.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by sethp
maybe i'm brain damaged

Don't worry too much about the technicalities, if you're not ready for it, it will only be a hindrance.

Theory doesn't make you a good musician, you won't be able to play things in your head just by learning theory, it takes practice. Just keep playing music.
dude I'll tell you this, if I can learn it, I guarundamntee you that you can. Buy some theory books. It just takes desire and dedication. Here's the general order of things I suggest you start learning, and move on from there:

-Major Scale formation
-Basic Triad chord formation
-Intervals
-Circle of fifths/key signatures
-Basic Chord Progressions
-Minor Scale formation

just knowing that solidly, would put you ahead of 90% of the other guitarists out there who flail around in one shape(pentatonic) in one key(Eminor) on the fretboard and think they are awsome.