I've been playing guitar for a while now.. and every time I try to play something fast, its weird, it's like my hands twitch or something.. and I play a part I'm supposed to play twice. Sound weird right? Let me explain. Let's say, for example this part in Steve Vai's "Shy Boy".. the first part of hammer ons and pull offs.. I will repeat a segment twice really fast and I can't help it.. like on the e string 8p5h7h8p7p5. I will play that part twice and I can't continue the song. This is how I learned when I first started playing. I would play a part of a song, and if I didn't get it, I instantly repeated that part over and over again until I got it... well now I'm doing that same thing, except it's a really simple lick to play but it's like my fingers have a mind of their own or something. Anyone else experience this, or am I just really ****ed up? Usually my hands are very shaky so I think that could be the problem.. I don't know if I would need to see a doctor about this or figure out why this is happening so any help would be appreciated..
uh......im thinking that your hands are used to doing that part twice because you practiced it so much you dont even have to consciuosly think about it your reflexes play it twice don't worry i dont think its gonna happen much longer if you keep practicing
Quote by XxXDevonXxX5696
uh......im thinking that your hands are used to doing that part twice because you practiced it so much you dont even have to consciuosly think about it your reflexes play it twice don't worry i dont think its gonna happen much longer if you keep practicing

Not at all, it's quite the opposite in fact.

TS, you've basically learned it "wrong" - sounds to me like you tried to play it too quickly too soon and have settled on compromising accuracy for speed.

Therefore you're going to have to "unlearn" it in order to eliminate those mistakes. Go back down to a speed at which you can play it cleanly and perfectly, it might be really slow but there'll be one. Make sure you can play it without those twitches or double movements. Once your happy you can look at gradually increasing the speed over a few weeks or months, little increments of a couple of bpm at a time. Using a metronome for this kind of exercise is vital, if you don't have one there's a free one online.

If you keep trying to play it at full speed you're only reinforcing the mistakes and it'll get worse, not better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by XxXDevonXxX5696

Well I've been playing for about 5 years now and it hasn't gotten better since I started playing..

Edit: That may be it steve... there would be a couple of times where I would play that part and I wouldn't twitch, but I would have to say you may be right by saying I could be rushing things..

Edit: On second thought, yeah that's gotta be it. I am just too impatient sometimes.. thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by Kwinh at Jun 16, 2008,