Alright here's the deal. I've been playing for about 8 months, i've learned songs like the Rover, Stairway (of course), Back in the Saddle, various bits of Guns n' Roses songs. I like to play blues and rock, mostly. I have a Washburn WI64DL. Now, and please don't crucify me for this, I was young and stupid and tonally indifferent. I actually paid money for a Zakk Wylde microstack. I know, I know. Terrible. So i'm looking for a new amp now. I've heard that my guitar would sound good through a Fender FM100 head, but I would have to order one in. I'm looking for something in the range of about $500 dollars. I've heard good things about the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and if it comes down to it, i'll just save up the extra bucks and go for that. I'd like to hear your suggestions though.
I have a Peavey 5150 Combo I'm trying to get rid of in that price range...
I've just been looking up Orange amps. Can anyone tell me how those stack up?
Quote by flamingmarble27
Stay away from the Fender FM's. Fender's equivalent to Marshall's MG.

Peavey Valveking:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

Cheap (under your budget), loud, versatile, good first tube amp and definitely far above the FM or microstack.

They also carry it at Guitar Center and Sam Ash if there's one near you.

yeah, i've got a Fender FM - don't waste your money.

Valveking and a Bad Monkey OD is $450.
Way out of your range man. You gotta save up. The classic 30 would work well and the valveking if you need something that is a bit heavier. The Hot Rod is good if you just want to use it's cleans.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Why the Bad Monkey? Does the OD on the Valveking not sound as good or something?
If you are just playing at home, or small gigs, a 15 watt tube amp will do you fine. Look at the Fender Pro Junior, Blues Junior (the NOS one if you can swing it), the Crate V18, and the Epiphone Valve Standard. All fit within your budget and have good tones.
it depends on how u like ur gain chanell to sound ... i dont like it on my vk ..its to muddy ..so i got a bad monkey ... a good call i tell u

if u buy the vk new out of the store ..try a bad monkey with it see how u like it
Theres a solid chance I can get my hands on a Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver, how would that be if I used it with the Hot Rod Deluxe? Or the Valveking?
It would sound good with both, but I think if you're into classic rock you'll like the Classic 30 better.
^ The Valveking is not the best option for blues. It has OK tone, but nothing that screams blues. Yes, it can do it, but not all that well.

What are the planned uses for this amp? And a Blues Driver is a good pedal.

As far as the Hot Rod goes, give the Blues Deluxe a try, if you are looking for a 30-40 watt amp. It sounds a bit warmer than the hot rod, so you might like it a bit more.
From what i've seen of the Blues Deluxe, it looks great. It appears to have issues with stock tubes and whatnot, but i'll just get new ones put in when I buy it. The tones that i've read are exactly what i'm looking for, I even love the way it looks. I'm going to swing by a store and test one out ASAP.
Yeah, try to test out as many amps as possible before you make a decision. No matter what we tell you here, the ultimate thing to help you decide is your ear.

But will 15 watts cut it? If you get one, it would be easier to get that power tube overdrive that sounds great for blues. Blues Junior NOS is a great, loud 15 watter.
I'd like to find a reliable amp that I can hang on to until I get a Marshall, which is not in near future plans at all. So i'm looking for something I can use for small gigs when I eventually join a band, so I don't think 15 watts would cut it. The 40 watts of the Blues Deluxe seems a little more fitted. I could be wrong though. Also, can I get a good crunchy drive on the Deluxe?
Last edited by Bananular at Jun 16, 2008,
^+12384@#%#. It's a crunch monster and you could probably find one used in budget. If not they're about 700 new.
I'm also looking for a new amp... My budget it's about 200-250euro(yes i'm in italy)...Around 75-100Watts...I like to find a good used one... It is possible?!?!?!
Err, you don't need 100 watts. also, don't jack threads.
For cleans:
Fender HRD

For vintagey crunchy overdriven stuff:
Peavey Classic

For more modern stuff:
Peavey Valveking+Bad Monkey
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The Fender Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe are still catching my eye the most, i'm leaning away from the Blues a bit more because apparently you will have a tough time getting a thick crunch without a pedal.
I would suggest Blackheart LG or HD, or maybe an Epiphone Valve Junior.

One question, what does NOS stand for? (Don't worry TS, you can find out too)

Sorry for any hijacking; unintentional.
^NOS refers to the type of tubes it uses.

Quote by Bananular
The Fender Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe are still catching my eye the most, i'm leaning away from the Blues a bit more because apparently you will have a tough time getting a thick crunch without a pedal.

You can get a pretty pretty good crunch out of a Blues Deville, but the overdrive on the Hot Rod isn't that great. Like DA said, the Peavey amps give a really good crunch, but I would look into a Delta Blues because it has a bit fuller tone and tremolo as well.

Try out as many amps as possible is my motto.
go for the peavey classic 30 good cleans great overdrive for classic rock (led zeppelin as/dc) and its good for some guns n roses too but to make it closer buy a bad monkey or aonther kind of tubescreamer :P
My rig:::::
Epiphone les paul standard
Peavey classic 30
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-7
Metal Muff
Quote by Bananular
Blues Deville you say? Thats a 60 watt correct?

Sorry, I meant Deluxe, not Deville.
Well the Deluxe is still looking good, but after taking a good look at the Peavey Classic 30 it looks great too, plus its a stack, which is awesome. What kind of cabinet should I use? Or just get the combo...?
Quote by Bananular
Well the Deluxe is still looking good, but after taking a good look at the Peavey Classic 30 it looks great too, plus its a stack, which is awesome. What kind of cabinet should I use? Or just get the combo...?

you mean it is a head right? tube head. valve head. i hear avatar cabs are great.

what is wrong with the combo's again?

like darkarbiter7 said Classic 30 is great for that vintage Brit sound.

Fenders are American voiced.

HRD is hella loud (as in the tube break up did not occur fast enough for me - which is why i went Valveking and I wanted new not used).

imo
randall makes a decant amp. check 'em out. their modular systes are cool. i tried them out at the local guitar vendor and (depending on the module) youcan get anywhere from jimi, to zakk, to metheny, to dimebag, to clean ****ry chicnkin' pickin'. all the best to ya in your search (and everyon else's, am i right people) for a good affordable amp.