I am an acoustic player that has been playing for about 6 months (with lessons). I started playing guitar with the aim of moving up to an electric and I finally have the money for one. My guitar teacher recommends a Samick Malibu 1 that is in my local music shop. And I also need an amp. I have 320 dollars. Advice, please? Should I buy that guitar? Should I buy another one? What amp should I get? Thanks to those who post.

EDIT: That Samick guitar is about 162 dollars, with tax.
D & D player.
If you don't like it, okay.
Last edited by dorian91 at Jun 16, 2008,
Without knowing anything about what you play, I'll say:

Guitar ($199)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510422

Amp ($199)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958

Over your budget, I know. You're going to want to think about expanding it a little bit. Could be hard to find a decent setup for $320. Above option is only $400.

What styles are you looking to play?
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 16, 2008,
Thats out of my price range, thanks though. It took me a few years to save up this much. Im not old enough to hold a job in my state.

Id like to play blues, surf, stuff with distortion in general, some random beatles stuff probably. Stuff thats not that heavy, I think.

EDIT: I dont want to mess around with a Squier anyway. Too much stuff to fix up to be able to play it without worrying about something or other. That amp looks nice though.
D & D player.
I started with a viper-50 ltd for 200$ and a roland microcube for my amp (100$)

So basicly id advise getting the microcube and any 200$ guitar
Quote by dorian91
Thats out of my price range, thanks though. It took me a few years to save up this much. Im not old enough to hold a job in my state.

Id like to play blues, surf, stuff with distortion in general, some random beatles stuff probably.

EDIT: I dont want to mess around with a Squier anyway. Too much stuff to fix up to be able to play it without worrying about something or other. That amp looks nice though.

Fair enough. Try this:

Guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510423

Amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065

Just an idea...not sure about the guitar, but Vox amps are decent.
Quote by GuitarMusic4894
I started with a viper-50 ltd for 200$ and a roland microcube for my amp (100$)

So basicly id advise getting the microcube and any 200$ guitar

+1

Another very good idea.
Not a cheap Dean. I have read reviews. Shecter is a possibility.
D & D player.
Quote by dorian91
Not a cheap Dean. I have read reviews. Shecter is a possibility.

Schecter? For under $200?
yeah there are some cheap deans, and go to a pawn shop and get a cheap amp, you'd be surprised what you can find there
Has Anyone heard of that Samick I was talking about? My teacher seems to like those a lot, and he has like 15 guitars in his room, from Fenders to the 800 dollar epi's.

EDIT: The microcube sounds like a good idea for an amp to go along with the Samick.
D & D player.
I like the amp, but I want a guitar without a floyd rose copy cat tremolo. Other than that, It seems like a nice Ibanez.
D & D player.
Quote by dorian91
I like the amp, but I want a guitar without a floyd rose copy cat tremolo. Other than that, It seems like a nice Ibanez.

I don't think that's a Floyd...looks just like a tremolo bridge to me.
Really? That might be alright then. I can look at some more reviews. Can it play non-metal stuff well, though? No one knows about that Samick, I guess?
D & D player.
As far as I know samick makes on par with walmart/k-mart guitars... utter crap. But this is only with experience with my buddys samick bass, Im to tired to list the multiple things wrong with this bass soo yeah.
Wow, a little bit of misinformation on this thread.

Samicks are good guitars, there's no doubt. However, at you're budget, I would pickup and SX from www.rondomusic.com for the guitar and a Roland Microcube for an amp. Perfect combo for a beginner and both will serve as backup/practice gear indefinately. I've been playing 20+ years and was impressed with the $99.99 SX SST57 Stop Tail. You might want to stop by my site for more indepth and honest reviews of affordable instruments.

Good Luck!
Quote by thewhorock
As far as I know samick makes on par with walmart/k-mart guitars... utter crap. But this is only with experience with my buddys samick bass, Im to tired to list the multiple things wrong with this bass soo yeah.

I have not played a Samick, but I do believe this to be false. I haven't heard bad things about them. I just don't think a lot of people know about them.
I just started a few months ago on a Samick Malibu. I found it to be pretty decent. I didn't have any Squires around to compare with, but my friends assure me that the Malibu is much much better. For the price your options in that range are pretty limited and you could certainly do a lot worse.
i swould suggest a value pack from musiciansfriend.com

you could a les paul pack or sg theres alot check em out
Thank you, Sanctus! Ha, producer, it IS better than a squire. jk. That and a microcube. As soon as I can convince my dad to let me use some of my own money, I will buy it.
D & D player.