I have an old guitar someone gave me, it's got a strat look alike body, but it's not a fender or squier, I think it's some Japanese guitar brand. Anyway, I was thinking of making a replica of David Gilmours famous black strat. The body of mine already has the black color and black pickgaurd, but everything else will most likely need to be replaced, due to how old it is. It has a humbucker in the bridge position and two single coils. I was thinking of using a SD pearly gates humbucker for the bridge, and two other SD singles, for the other. Would it be better to use DiMarzio area pickups for the single? I heard they were great for that classic fender sound. Also, I need a fender maple neck, where could I snag me one of those? I'm really pumped about this project. I've never set up my own guitar so this could be quite the fun challenge.
Try Warmoth for the necks, but as for the pickups, I think Fender makes vintage-voiced single coils that hit his sound pretty nicely. I don't think the humbucker will sound much like him, but give it a try.
ya, even if it goes against his sound, I still want a HB in there. I think a pearly gates wold be good enough though.
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=66

All the info on Gilmour's Black Strat you'll ever need.

If you get another humbucker, maybe you should go with a zebra-styled one? the black coil should blend in with the pickguard, and make it look (at first, anyway) like you've got a single-coil in the bridge.

also, you can order a shortened tremolo arm from here: http://www.callahamguitars.com/partsstr.htm
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
/\/\

Gilmourish is amazing!

But yea, get an SSS pickguard, get two vintage fender voiced single coils for the neck and middle, DiMarzio FS-1 or Seymour Duncan SSL-1 for the bridge. Warmoth necks are really good, go for one with either 21 or 22 frets (depending on whether you wanna go hardcore gilmour recreation). Also, you may wanna add a tap for the bridge and neck pickup that combines them for a nice solo tone (final solo of Comfortably Numb utilizes this switch). I'll be doing the same thing eventually to a Fender Highway One Strat (cuz i love 70s headstocks).
Oh, HELL no. Gilmour's Strat's been through a helluva lot, man: check the link, but judging by your second sentence, you probably already looked.

Also, definitely listen to RG FANMAN, he speaks truth.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay